What is this blemish? How did this card get a 10?

Hello everyone!

I bought a psa 10 Yu Nagaba Pikachu the other week, and it just came in the mail this afternoon! I’ve been super excited for this to show up, so you can imagine my disappointment when I immediately see this strange blemish on the surface.

Does anyone know what this is, and why it didnt take away from the 10? I’m incredibly disappointed and I’m not sure if I should contact the seller to return it. The card is going up in price too, and I really want to have one before it goes up more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

1 Like

I’ve seen those little squares in PSA slabs before… They probably graded the card a 10 but when they welded it up those squares fell in. I’m curious to know what those squares are from though.

2 Likes

I’m not big into grading so I’ve never heard of the little squares… Is it common?

If i jostle the slab the squares don’t move or anything, do they get stuck to the card? I wonder if it can cause damage…

Those squares are part of the plastic casing.

11 Likes

Good to know it’s not physically on the card itself! Makes me feel a lot better, thank you so much :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My first 3rd print fossil error lol. Here’s one.

4 Likes

Yeah but what part? Where do they come from? Just little fragments that fall from the case when its being welded? It’s so weird how they’re almost perfect squares and they consistently show up as the same shape across so many slabs.

I have one of these squares on one of my PSA cases as well. It’s from the case not the card. You should be able to see a small gap between the square and the card. Will send a picture when I find mine.

1 Like

Agreed with others that these squares are commonplace and part of the holder. They are not pieces of plastic that have fallen off and will not damage the card.

If it detracts so much from the visual appeal of the card, I would recommend getting the card reholdered. But there is no guarantee that you won’t have another square show up on the reverse holo portion of the card.

Also wanted to note that this is not grounds for a return. If you have a problem with the case, take it up with PSA.

2 Likes

I would suspect that it is a blemish from the manufacturing process of the plastic.

1 Like

It could be what’s been spewing out all these wrong graded psa’s. Need to keep an eye out for black ones that have been sucking up the correct grades. :slight_smile:

I also have a card that I am curious with. I purchased this Blaine’s Arcanine late last year and I recently was looking through the collection and noticed it is definitely not PSA 10 worthy. What would you guys suggest?

1 Like

If it’s only that lil bit of whitening it’s a great card.

As far as i can guess its just a plastic pellet that hasnt melted fully before being injected into the mold.

4 Likes

I’m probably just being extra critical. :sweat_smile: Thanks, the 2nd opinion and looking at it again makes me less worried about it from when I originally saw it yesterday.

1 Like

Yup, I have had similar questions about these squares before. Is this really not avoidable? I would have figured this had been brought up before to PSA.

These squares are very common for PSA slab plastic. You can find them all the way back since the #2xxxxxx cert days. It is a plastic defect, not damage on the card, so you can be relieved about that.

You can choose to reholder the card, but don’t be surprised if you see another of such squares on the new slab, or other kinds of debri.

1 Like

Hey there! Nice card. Many PSA 10s out there have some sort of whitening, so I think your card looks great! That tiny flaw is within PSA 10 range of condition, no worries.

1 Like

Thanks so much! It’s one of the first PSA 10’s I pulled the trigger on and is one of my childhood favorites.