is my PSA 10 Red Cheeks Pikachu a scam???!?!?

Waited forever and it finally came in the mail… noticed some odd things though… Need some opinions… I’ll link some pics… Both sides of the case have a crack as if someone took a tool or screwdriver and pried the old case open… also the label isn’t set flat like all my other PSA cards… what conclusions do you guys have?
drive.google.com/open?id=1fTRkSb1mQVAMSNNEqICkCPnFVkpjfvtj

Thanks guys

That damage on the case is kind of normal, at least some of mine has it too, and for the few pictures that you submited card looks fine

The cases that have chips in the sides that you own, did you grade them or purchase them like that?
Thanks man

I purchased them like that, thought it may be shipping damage but it’s very doubtful

I agree it’s probably not shipping damage if it’s right in the middle of the seem of both sides of the case… I’m still leaning towards someone popped this open and put in an ungraded card…

Why you think your card is not a PSA 10?

The label isn’t flat like all my other ones… as if someone put it in there. Both sides where the two halves of the case come together have a screwdriver like puncture as if the case was popped open and an ungraded Pikachu was placed in. The card’s condition is really nice. However, there is a blue dot next to the energy cost in one picture. Also something on the card near the top left corner in another picture I put up. So, I’m not sure… but also I know people can open these old cases up… and with the label being the way it is, and each side having that small fracture… it makes me really wonder.

Would help if you upload better pictures

Your card is completely fine. Those small markings on the top and side of case are normal and part of the manufacturing process. Apparently the grader didn’t see or didn’t think those small markings on the card warranted a lower grade.

Forget the case for a moment. Is the card gem and if not, why?

3 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to figure out like an hour ago haha

After hearing you guys I am starting to become a believer. I think I’m going to get it reholdered. They will keep the same grade just put it into a new case correct? The card is nice… it’s not perfectly centered and the two cell phone quality images of imperfections is all there are… I appreciate you guys. I needed some opinions

Here’s the issue. You pay hundreds of dollars for a graded card. When you receive it, the case is tampered with. Now try and sell that card as is. You’ll get it back. Some of you might be able to say it’s a mint 10 card but most of you can’t be sure. That’s why we send them off to be graded. If I paid hundreds of $$s for a graded card, I wouldn’t want it to look tampered with.

That slab has never been opened. You’re good.

8 Likes

Thanks man. Could I ask you, so that I know going forward, how you can see that? I just see a chip / small fracture on each side of the case where I assume the two sides come together. So it appears to be what it would look like if someone tampered with it. I appreciate your time and expertise Sir Gary.

-Trav

1 Like

@baccene, based on the pictures, I dont see any issues with the case either. In terms of a PSA case being tampered with, its a very rare case where youd see that and many, many others have assured me on this (while I also have done my own research) where it doesnt really ever occur that a card is replaced with another and then sent out. Those marks you see on the sides are “breaking” marks part of the manufacturing process when the cases get pressed, so its quite common youll see that “fracture” mark, and various other amounts of slight (but not much usually) whitening on the far-ish edges. If it was broken into, more than likely it would be apparent and not slight, as youd see actual attempts to get in via pliers or whatnot. Additionally, older PSA labels, such as the one you have, can have that ugly waviness to the label as well as they arent perfect (id give them a 7 grade on them personally, haha). I have a few like that which im going to get recased myself down the road, as it just bothers my OCD, but its only a cosmetic issue. Regardless, Gary ( @garyis2000) also signed off on this being legitimate, so youre golden :blush:

Hope that helps!

Well put.
Basically, no matter how you open that case it wouldn’t survive with the limited problems you’ve pointed out.
Nice card by the way:)

2 Likes

Here’s the same blue dot on mine:

Here’s the same “thing” you saw on the top left corner:

The same two marks are found on another copy of the card owned by Dave’s & Adam’s Card World (left):

Found here: www.dacardworld.com/blog/buying-cards/psa-9-pokemon-base-set-1st-edition-shadowless-complete-set/
Oh, and my PSA label isn’t flat either. :blush:

1 Like

Dang guys… thanks for the responses… That’s crazy the same marks are on other Pikachus… want bother me anymore then. I hated the fact that something got on the card and the pesky PSA grader couldn’t just rub it off lol but if that’s a print issue… it no longer bothers me. Thank you all for the great words and help! It’s one of my tops cards so far so… I was just really uptight about it. Sorry it took a while to respond as well… I’m rather new here and so use to the “next page” button on the bottom of the page… finally occurred to me to scroll to the top of the thread to see if there was a 2nd page of responses lol. Good deal guys. Thanks for everything! Mystery officially solved :blush:

1 Like

For future reference the labelled paper can be wavy and not perfectly aligned. I noticed it on my slabbed cards and certainly some older certs.

The marks on the sides of the psa cases are from the manufacturing process.
It’s not seamless so you’re left with remnants from production.

I’m not 100% but I think if a psa slab is tampered with it would render it almost impossible to seal closed again, unless glued and viced. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong).

I’m guessing the edges where it joins would turn visibly white and cloudy from the trauma, and it might even split.
I might test on a cheap card some day just to see how the case reacts to a box cutter.

1 Like