PSA Card Recognition: Dumb or Just Lazy?

Why is PSA being so difficult when trying to get them to recognize cards?
RESEARCH REQUEST******Response #1**Mr. X,
At this time, we are not recognizing the Cosmos Holofoil variant. It is a printer’s error, and as such, we cannot authenticate or grade them at this point.
We may reconsider this in the future based on the market demand.
Regards,

Reply #1Hello. I’m not sure what you mean by printing error as the cosmos holofoil prints are intentional to distinguish card reprints that are obtained outside of the main booster box, such as those from theme decks or blisters. Pokemon has been doing this for decades. PSA already recognizes many of these cosmos holofoil variants in the pop report (e.g. the 1999 Pokemon Fossil Zapdos Cosmos-Thunderstorm Deck Holo, and the 2015 XY Breakthrough Raikou-Holo Cosmos-Sun & Moon Guardians Rising Blister to name just 2). This one has just gone under the radar until now maybe because there wasn’t a huge interest to grade it yet.
Response #2Mr. X,
I consulted with our Pokemon experts, and we don’t recognize this variant like we do other cosmos holofoil prints. I understand that may seem inconsistent, but we don’t recognize this one because it was not intentional by the manufacturer, and is considered by TCG experts a factory misprint.
Regards,

2 Likes

Same happened to me when asking for differentiation between the incorrect and corrected artist black star promo legendary bird cards. They said it didn’t matter to them because there was no price difference in cards being sold with one artist name or the other. But why should that ever matter because it should be about getting it right and clearly labelled!