PSA 10 quality reference

Hello guys! Notice a lot of you like to grade and collect the English full art cards. Thought I’d make this thread as a visual guide. Hopefully some of you find it useful!
the following Dragonite, Rayquaza, Gengar and Charizard are PSA 10.

2 Likes

1 Like

This card IS NOT A PSA 10. This Groudon is a PSA 7.
Be advised a lot of the primal cards had spots on them. I have sent in several with this defect in for grading and none came back PSA 10. That was my experience.

beaut cards dude!

1 Like

Thanks a lot buddy, also beware the spots!

1 Like

Next Destinies had similar issues with “spotting.”

Great pictures.

4 Likes

If only I can find a Rayquaza from dragons exalted that is as perfect as your mew… :,(

1 Like

I got really lucky with that Mew! I saw it on ebay for $30.00. It looked pretty good in the pictures so i bought it.
Just pure luck lol. Im sure you will definitely find one my friend.

1 Like

Thanks buddy. I saw your amazing collection on flickr! I liked how you have them neatly scanned and Flickr presents your stream quite well so I followed your example and did the same on Flickr. Keep up the good work friend!

1 Like

Thanks for doing this. We’ve had english discussion issues before. From what I can tell it appears the Dragonite FA
is off center on the side, front borders. It looks to be over the 45/55 front centering from a 10.

5 Likes

No problem my friend! figured a few clear images might help those interested in sending in cards to be graded. I did notice that with the Dragonite. There must be other positives that allowed it to obtain PSA 10. The cards physical condition is immaculate and clean. Either way I am still please with this Dragonite!

This is a great thing to have, especially for Pokemon cards! Thanks so much!

1 Like

Great thread, this will prove useful to alot of people! I don’t have any experience grading English cards but I noticed on all except for the gengar the corners have damages which I personally feel take away from the words gem mint, it is supposed to mean flawless, I would love to see stricter gradings on cards personally. Before I owned any graded cards I actually thought that what psa deemed as a 9 was more like what an 8 actually is.

1 Like

Just to say I’m not trying to take anything away from dragontypes’ 10s at all or anything like that by the way as I think his collection is rediculously nice, I also haven’t had ANY experience with English graded cards so I was more just surprised that the corners are allowed such a degree of wear, take the dragonite for example, on the front there is wear at the bottom and on the corners, I just didn’t expect 10s to look like that, now I really know what people mean when they say about differing card quality.

As for BGS I couldn’t have graded cards in two different design cases so ill stick to PSA :stuck_out_tongue: and the only reason I said about stricter grading is that I personally would like 10s to be more of a rarity than a standard, please bear in mind this is just my personal opinion so please don’t skewer me :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: just compare then gengar to the dragonite, can you honestly say that they are worthy of the same grade?

1 Like

Absolutely my friend! I value your opinion and that’s why I made this thread to hear other collectors thoughts! As for my dragonite it was 1 of two Dragonite full arts I sent in which both look identical If I can recall from my memory, both of them recieved PSA 10 grade. I do see what you mean though, I expected the same thing when I first started grading cards. Nowadays its more, “Thank fuck it got a 10” If its good enough for PSA than its good enough for me lol. Also thanks for the kind words about my collection my friend! I hope these card scans give you a clear idea of what to expect from PSA.

2 Likes

Thank you @dragontype, you seem to have graded a fair few cards, what are your opinions on the consistency of PSA in terms of grading?

Edit: @darkrai as I said I don’t have any experience with them so maybe I’m being slightly harsh on them as I don’t actually know what the standard is beyond these photos :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have several PSA 10 English full arts, and I can say that the quality of mine are about the same as @dragontype’s. I have a couple that are literally perfect, no wear anywhere, which is fantastic. I have a couple that are probably a little better than the ones pictured, but still have some quality issues if you look really closely. And last but not least I have one that is clearly not PSA 10 quality, at least to me. When I sent it in I was not sure it would even make the 9 mark. Worse quality than the ones pictured.

PSA 10s are not all perfect cards as I have found. But if they were, it would be near impossible to get English PSA 10s. I feel like if PSA did raise their standards, it would be counterproductive for the Pokemon hobby. PSA 10s would be worth way too much/too hard to get.

2 Likes

What do people think about OC cards?

Personally I think cards that are slightly OC should still be eligible for 10’s, more so than cards with small nicks.

Interested to hear thoughts about this =)

1 Like