Prices after rotation

There are some cards I’m interested in that will be rotated out of standard this year and I was just wondering how much will price drop after rotation?

FA Shaymin is already at $45 after the reprint, how much will it drop after rotation?

Will it ever be at $15-25, or should I just buy one now at that price?
It was going for $100 when I started re-collecting so at forty five, it already seems like a good price.

Got back into the hobby in October, so I haven’t been around for a rotation yet to see how it affect prices, thanks!

-Alex

(PS: I stopped collecting at WOTC Rocket set, so it’s been a LONG while. still a newbie at this)

Yeah, it should drop to $15-20, maybe a little less? It’s only worth what it is due to its playability.

That’s so hard to imagine! My only friends are collectors/Online players, dont know any IRL TCG players or go to any leagues.

If they dip below $20 I will buy a playset!

Thank you so much for the reply!

I don’t foresee a major drop in price. It certainly will drop, but it will still be playable in expanded and fits in virtually every deck. Especially with Pokemon continuing to push the expanded format for regional championships, people will still be able to find a market for their Shaymins.

I’d think the regular art version will drop to around $20, maybe $27-30 for the FA.

On a side note, what effect does high playability have on highly graded versions? Is it correct to assume that high demand puts somewhat of a lowered ceiling on the volume of high grades, thus increasing the value?

Is there a rotation announced?
I would think with the reprints of the newest sets that it is not going to happen until at least next year?

1 Like

It was Re-Printed not re-released in a new set, should be out in regular rotation Sept 2017.

Oranguru and a new pokemon in the next set are already slowly replacing it.

EDIT: the new one is Tapu Lele-GX

Because of it’s ability you can summon up a Lillie, which gets you 8 on your first turn or 6 after that.

www.pokebeach.com/2017/02/tapu-lele-gx-tapu-koko-gx-turtonator-gx-and-tons-of-sm2-cards-and-promos-revealed

Just because cards in the next set are going to be slowly replacing it doesn’t mean that it is going out of regular rotation.
I’m just saying because pokemon did have a reprint of a few of the more popular sets… Perhaps they are trying to keep it in play for another year.

1 Like

It came out in spring 2015 so I hope it’s out of standard this fall.

www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-format-rotation-for-2017/

Only reprints I’ve heard about is Roaring Skies, because of Shaymin, also they did Primal Clash (for some crazy reason). It’s one of the least popular sets around.

It seems Ancient Origins is also coming into print again too :wink:

If so, that’s great. As I recently decided to start Collecting Sealed Booster Boxes. Atleast of the current generation.

2 Likes

TapuLele GX will substitute Shaymin after the rotation (and probably even before it). It is a JirachiEx + YveltalEx. So the price of ShayminEx will probably go down.

1 Like

Not sure what will happen personally. In the past, cards that were powerful in standard tanked post rotation (f.ex some of the primes that were playable). If everyone starts selling their position like crazy, Shaymin might decrease severely. However the fullarts are extremely collectible, regardless of playability. I expect Shaymin to somewhat decrease in value, but not so much honestly.

1 Like