Prevent PSA Submitted Card Damage

One of our fine members here, ssjc, recently had a GREAT card damaged at PSA probably due to a PSA employee putting the card in or out of the card saver.

I used to use pull tab post it’s but that didn’t aid them if reinserting the card back into the card saver or if the tab pulled off.
So for the last several years I’ve been side slitting the card savers(see pic) with all my higher value subs and have had no problems. I simply tuck them in to the closed side and they stay put even when shaking them aggressively.

Hope this helps,

24 Likes

A simply smart solution… I’ll try it. Thanks for sharing Gary.

1 Like

Good idea! I can’t help but imagine a disposable card saver with a tear-away strip down the side.

1 Like

Do a video please.

I don’t mind but of what?

1 Like

And no. I was never a hand model😏

4 Likes

How to cut them, I’m guessing. Run a box knife inside? Most important part is likely not putting the card in it before cutting.

I just run a scissor up the edge and cut off the seam. It’s fine if the cards still inside.

1 Like

How many times is it going to catch them by surprise when they go to remove the card so then they accidentally drop the card? I’ll have to make this modification tonight to a card saver and see how it all handles but at first glance I’m just not a fan at all. I never used the post it tabs either as it is pretty damn easy to handle cards in and out of cardsavers without issue.

I don’t like the solution and I don’t like that it even needs to be a conversation. They should charge more for their services, Billy should stay on the bulk only line, and the $200 service should only be handled by professionals. I’ve never seen whitening issues that I’ve caught like this recent scenario, but I still haven’t a clue how they did the corner dings/creases that I saw a few years back.

1 Like

@gottaketchumall, I consider it easy also but maybe if we had to handle thousands a day, we would feel differently;)
I never recommended my system to anybody except a couple of huge sports submitters and they, as well as I, love it.
I do understand it’s a waste of good card savers but who knows where they end up anyway.

1 Like

Genius

1 Like

Gary you da man! I’ll remember this if I ever submit to PSA.

1 Like

Let’s start our own grading company. Y’all can’t hold their hand forever.

Annoyed*

@missingno,

Did you notice I had a top put on my acrylic holder prototype just because of your “dust” comment? Lol

2 Likes

I’m glad I can help sir :grin:

1 Like

We can grade them all in the Guess The Grade thread. E4A?

Wanted to circle back on this. Have more people tried this? (Cutting the side of the Card Saver 1 for easy insert/removal of the card.) It seems like a good idea but I would guess it’ll catch the graders off guard a bit too! I’ve actually been doing it for a small stash of cards I want to get graded but I haven’t submitted yet due to the backlog and tier shutdowns…would love some feedback from others who have submitted cards this way and received cards back.