Preference on Receiving Cards by Mail

Somewhat new to shipping cards and just wanted some opinions. I don’t think its a big deal but just wanted your guys’ preference on receiving cards in perfect fit sleeve/toploader vs. penny sleeve/toploader. The only reason I ask is because most of the cards I’m planning on selling are already in the perfect fits.
Any other tips on shipping would be helpful as well.
Thanks!

Here’s what I go by. I ask myself if the package gets dropped from a two story building would I be confident, considering how I packed it, that it will be fine?

The more secure, the more I like. Though a simple thing that you could try is if you are planning on taping down the opening to ensure the card doesn’t fall out then use the paper tape instead of plastic tape. Way easier to get off and you don’t have to take off my glasses and get a good look at where to even begin peeling.

I cannot stand the clear tape! Lol. I didn’t think of using the paper tape.
I guess I need to sorta rephrase this… what is the most convenient way for you to receive cards (without sacrificing protection)?
My thinking with the pro fit vs. penny sleeve thing is that since it’s somewhat more difficult to remove cards from the pro fit, the buyer can potentially damage the card upon removal.

As someone who uses perfect fits, nothing makes me more happy than receiving one already sleeved. That being said, I can see how it can be annoying for someone who doesn’t use em.

I’ve had issues with the commonly used penny sleeve toploader setup; it is definitely possible for the card to slide out of the penny sleeve and even the toploader itself during transit because it is so loose. Plastic wrap solves this issue pretty well; team bags work too.

Yeah I hate receiving cards in pro fit sleeves

3 Likes

Don’t use tape on the toploader directly. Some people use cling film/cling wrap around the toploader to keep the cards safe or you can put some paper around it and then tape the paper another way is to use one of the Psa case poly sleeves around the toploader.

1 Like

Don’t tape the toploader. It’s pretty annoying lol. I personally prefer penny sleeves, inside a toploader. Use a team bag for the toploader, or clear plastic wrap/printing paper to keep the card from falling out.

2 Likes

Card in Penny sleeves, sleeved card in semi rigid.
Less thick, less weight and better protection. No way any card wiggle out of one of those.

Personally I dislike the team bag, because it generates unneeded plastic waste for me. Because I got no use for them, but it is a better option than taping the top of the toploader shut

shove them in a blender with some water, pop the mush into a container and ship.No chance they can be damaged.
Al the receiver needs to do is dry them out in the sun and pop back together like a jigsaw.

Or sleeve and topload for expensive cards, in a bubble wrap envelope or for more expensive the same but in a rigid box.
Really depends what kinds of cards. the main thing is to stop them rolling around, bashing corners and reduce the chance the can be bent

1 Like

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Finally, a proper answer:)

100% correct.

^ lol

Gotta have a bit of fun, aswell as answering :grin:

1 Like

Card in a penny sleeve in a top loader with some method preventing the card from falling out. I usually take the printer paper approach when packing cards. Allows me to leave nice notes and drawings for the buyer/trade partner!

I always ask for bubble mailers and tracking on cards I spend more than $10 on. As a buyer I LOVE being able to check up on my item and have the extra padding. If given the option of tracking versus letter, I will ALWAYS spend the extra $2 to have my card shipped in a mailer.

1 Like

What did I win?
PSA10 No Rarity Venusaur?

On the side-note; Am opening todays mail. 3 Toploaders received, 2 with the cards slipped out. Nice silvering on top of my reverse rares -.-;

1 Like

Which is why the unneeded plastic waste is necessary! I always penny sleeve, topload, and put in team bag. I do this because you don’t have to put tape over the top of the toploader incase the card slides out (rarely happens, but possible) and because IF it does slide out, it should prevent it from damaging, silvering, edging the top of the card. That’s just how I package all my cards. Plus customers notice the extra care you take and are actually more appreciative which results in returning customers as well because it shows you care. People have wrote that in my ebay feedback as well so it’s not just a random fact i’m making up. :relieved:

ps. If you want to be extra careful, I also tape the top of the bag once placed inside the envelope to prevent them from moving around in the envelope during transit. This also makes the cards less likely to slide out.

My plastic recycle bin fills up quiet fast by normal house hold stuff. Everything is wrapped in plastic these days, so while the team bag is a good solution to the problem, personally I don’t like it.

But, I have to point out. There is a difference between pack fresh top loaders, and recycled ones. My pack fresh ones I really have to tap to get the card out, recycled ones just blowing at them is enough.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Someone purchased a single from me today and I plan on using penny sleeve, semi rigid, sandwiching the card between two pieces of card board and then into a bubble mailer. Is the bubble mailer completely necessary? Will this increase my shipping cost? I feel like it may be necessary with more expensive cards but the one in question only is $20.