Postage Insurance and Liabilities

Hi e4,

I have searched the topic at hand with relevant organisations (Australia Post, eBay, Paypal), but thought it might be easiest to ask here, and get a much more relevant answer.

I have sold a card to a gentleman in the US - it isn’t the first time I have shipped internationally (have done hundreds). This one is a little different, as the card in question is a rather high value one, for a single anyway.

Card was sold through eBay, to make it clear.

Have communicated with the buyer regarding extra cover/insurance (which Australia Post do offer), but seems that they don’t want it as an extra service on top of the parcel, with my recommendation to do so.

My question is - in the unfortunate event, who is liable here? My understanding is that they will have the Paypal buyer protection, and then can claim their “full” amount back, and if lost/damaged, then the card is not covered from the post side of things.

Any thoughts or advice would help, I don’t like sending things really over say $100 without any slight cover, as I have been burnt before (literally only once or twice), but enough to make me learn.

Thanks - D from Aus

You are liable. To want to change the price he paid through eBay isn’t proper. You need to set your charges before you enter the listings.

3 Likes

Send international express, it is fast and very safe to virtually every country. Extra cover is a waste of money IMO, in my experience you are just as likely to get compensation without cover, especially with express. Also note if the item is over $2000AUD and you did not fill out an export declaration beforehand, they may use that against you to avoid paying out extra cover.

Thanks for the replies, guys

Gary - item was a BIN so I guess I may be liable for the cost for extra cover. I always thought it was an optional extra, but I am in the situation where I prefer to send it that way, not sure if the purchaser is though.

Thanks SMT - the item is under 1k AUD, and I normally send it via Australia Posts “Standard/Express” parcel. I have had absolutely no issues in the past, and I do question sometimes is the extra cover worth it. I think for peace of mind, yes of course, as I’ve been on both ends of lost/damaged mail being recieved, and sent mail going missing/damaged in transit.

1 Like

You are responsible for getting the item to the buyer - all the way up to their door, anything that happens between dropping it off at the post office and arriving at the customers door is on you, if you wish for the buyer to pay for your insurance, you’ll need to include that in the postage/listing price, you can’t ask for it afterwards. I’ve never taken out insurance as I see it as gambling, and luckily enough I’ve never had any problems shipping internationally.

2 Likes

Thanks all - sorted out with the buyer positively.
Happy collecting!