Gauging responsibility in this scenario

I accepted a counteroffer on a card.

I instantly receive a message from the seller: If you want the package insured, postage will be more.

I’m thinking to myself, hmmm yes perhaps i do want to insure the postage (i paid 2,000 euro for the card) but i’m thinking to myself, isnt it the sellers responsibilty to insure postage? I mean they don’t have to but if it gets lost i can ebay/paypal claim and instant win?

I am probably going to cough up the 100 euro for postage but just curious to see what woyld happen if i didnt and package does get lost.

Here is screenshot

I don’t have personal experience in a case like that, but since we hear about people abusing PayPal claims and winning them by opening packs, getting bad pulls and wanting their money pack or similar scams, you should be safe as long as you paid with PayPal/Buyer protection in my opinion.
Also it is kind of shady to tell you this after completing the purchase, although they might not have thought about shipping conditions for a specific country. If you want to pay up, I would ask for information on what service exactly they want to use, as that’s what I would provide as a seller in this case for the sake of transparency.

1 Like

its sellers responsibility.

11 Likes

Thanks, that’s what i thought. I always sell on ebay and if the card i sold is of high value, i just send insured, not start asking for more money.

2 Likes

As a buyer, you pay to receive an item as it’s been described - it’s the seller’s responsibility to make sure the package gets delivered safely.

3 Likes

Yeah i wouldn’t pay anymore, sellers responsibility to cover postage and any insurance necessary. Bit cheeky to ask for more once a deal is negotiated.

3 Likes

insurance is to protect seller, buyer is already covered as long as they’ve paid GS

7 Likes

Exactly. Seller recognized he messed up and wanted you to pay for it. You are already covered. If the card is lost in the mail you will get your money back immediately

2 Likes

You are correct as the buyer there is no need to pay for insurance. It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to you and in cases where the item is over $750 (USA policy) they also must add signature confirmation. Only variable cost a buyer should fave would be shipping speed and if they want the item quicker.

1 Like

Sellers responsibility. eBay will back the buyer on this

I don’t sell to europeans because of this. GSP only. But if I DID, I’d be adding full-insured pricing to the cost of the card. The problem is, that full-insured pricing changes country to country in Europe, making it very hard to have a listing price if you want to be inclusive to the European market. It’s not like we can say "the card is $2000 for American buyers, and $2250 for people in the UK, and $2500 to people in Italy. This is why GSP is a thing, yet Europeans want to hate on it and claim they’ll never do business with someone charging GSP.

So, here is what I think, if you don’t want the card to be fully insured, he should make a decision on if he’s making enough for the card + shipping + insurance to send it, or if he should cancel. That insurance/shipping conversation should have happened DURING the price negotiation, not AFTER. These are the headaches that happen when being inclusive to other countries in sales listings.

3 Likes

Seller needs to educate himself a bit haha

2 Likes