Pokemon Prime cards gifted to Mr. Ishihara based off his dogs

:flushed: An incredible post from Twitter User and tournament organizer immewnity

“For his birthday in 2009, Creatures Inc gifted [President of The Pokémon Company] Mr. Ishihara cards based off of his two dogs at the time, Pokey and Jeekun. Both dogs unfortunately passed away the next year (at 11 and nearly 16 years old, respectively), leaving these cards as a beautiful memory of the pups.”

I’ve never seen anything like this before. :exploding_head:

The photo is confirmed from the Ishihara Family Web Blog.

50 Likes

Wow, what a cool piece of history! I generally dislike prime cards, but I would LOVE these. :dog: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is amazing never seen these before :hushed:

This is something I would have never guessed existed. What special cards, rest in peace Pokey and Jeekun❤️

2 Likes

Worth noting, Jeekun’s Poke-Power (forgive my rough translation):

“When you play this card from your hand onto your Bench, search your deck for one Ishihara card, show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.”

The blog post mentions that the cards synergize well with the birthday gift card Mr. Ishihara received in 2008, “Ishihara’s Secret Hand”. So it’s safe to assume a custom card was gifted by Creatures in 2008 as well (and potentially earlier years). Unfortunately, the blog only goes back to 2009, and I can’t find a picture of the 2008 birthday card.

7 Likes

It’s 2023 and we still discover cards made over a decade ago. Gotta love the Pokémon TCG and their niche cards. :dog: Thanks for sharing!

Greetz,
Quuador

15 Likes

A mega jumbo from Ishihara’s 2013 birthday, featuring the same “present box” set logo in the bottom right as the 2009 cards. Ishihara notes he shares the same birthday as Caroline Kennedy, JFK’s daughter and U.S. Ambassador to Japan at the time. She had her first week on the job in Japan in 2013 the exact week of Ishihara and her birthday, which is probably why Ishihara had it in mind.

9 Likes

Bet yall could name at least half a dozen IG accounts that have tried to dm him asking if he’d sell them

3 Likes

All 3 Prime collectors are devastated right now

At this point it’s safe to assume Ishihara has several more never before seen cards personalized to him, maybe even one for each TCG gimmick/mechanic?

That Wine Energy is hilarious lmfao

6 Likes

I totally respect the commitment to privacy for over a decade! I wonder why they were revealed?

I wouldnt be surprised if it was something simple like “yeah its been a decade, i guess ill show em off now”

They’ve been on his publicly viewable blog for years, so I don’t think he minded sharing them. I think the Twitter user stumbled across his blog which was not widely known about.

These kinds of blogs are absolute gold! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like