Pokemon Lamincards (Edibas)

Lamincards were cards made of plastic, with most of the background being transparent.
They looks like the Magic Message Cards.
They were released by this italian company, Edibas Collections Srl, which also made lamincards from other media through the years.
Pokemon series should have been 6, and I can confirm that some if not every set has been printed in italian, spanish, french, german and english.

2004 Pokemon Lamincards Collection
-missing infos-

2004 Pokemon Advanced Lamincards Collection
(these are the exact same artwork as future 2006 hoenn edition but with the background put vertically behind the pokemon instead of orizzontally)

UPDATE I stole the image of a binder (not full but still, it’s original material) so we get a confirmed release date: march 09 2004.

2005 Pokemon Lamincards Collection

UPDATE stole another binder just for checklist and copyright date, this doesn’t really read well, but I believe this is a “5” and not a “6”.

Source

2006 Pokemon Lamincards
(there’s a total of 386 cards, one for each pokemon from gen1 to gen3)

BINDER

UPDATE I’ve found other images of the binder, none reporting the “special edition” in the logo and with different coloration. So I guess trying to put all together, the first image with yellow background is a fake one. And the right one is the above with the blue background. Also the checklist confirming the 386 cards.

2006 Pokemon Lamincards Special Edition

UPDATE: I’ve stole another binder. This time I inverted this with the previous release.
This is not the 386 full 3° gen edition, it’s the one with the extra horizontal cards.

SP4
SP5
SP6
SP7

2006 Pokemon New Collection

UPDATE actually seems I was wrong, this “new collection” is the re-release of the 2004, as can be seen from the actual binder pages. (same checklist, copyright: 1996-2006).

NEW4-1996-2006

Lamincards1
Lamincards2
Lamincards3
Lamincards4
Lamincards5
Lamincards6
Lamincards7
Lamincards8
Lamincards9
Lamincards10
Lamincards11
Lamincards12
Lamincards13
Lamincards14
Lamincards15
Lamincards16
Lamincards17

Source1 Source2

EDIT given the new infos, I think the wiki here is wrong, the horizontal beautifly is not from the new collection but from the special collection.
Also, the front page of the binder scanned here is from the 2004 without the “new” printed on it, while the back is correct, with the 2006 date.

And here I lay exhausted wondering why there are some that don’t fit anywhere above.

The square english edition:

More Here

10 Likes

Man, these were so popular in Italy, even more than TCG cards in my school. So popular that Pokémon company terminated the contract with edibas because they were outcompeting Wotc stuff.
But the dragonball ones were the best in my opinion, really cool kids items.

Source:

This is the art director blog, he worked for edibas and got the idea for these.
There are a ton of informations here.

1 Like

This is so huge, thanks a lot!

I’ll get translated this part right now because it’s just too beautiful and then I go back reading the rest:

Vendevano così bene che se ne accorsero anche alla Topps. Nei Paesi dove erano distribuite , le vendite delle loro tradingcards avevano dei cali. Non intaccavamo i giocatori abituali, ma i più piccoli preferivano collezionare le nostre card perché erano belle. Il risultato fu la comunicazione che non ci avrebbero rinnovato la licenza perché le Lamincards intaccavano il core business di un loro partner importante.

They sold so well that they noticed even at Topps. In countries where they were distributed, their trading card sells were having dips. We didn’t affect habitual players, but the youngsters prefered to collect our cards because they were pretty. The results was the communication that they wouldn’t have renewed the license because lamincards were affecting the core business of an important partner of them.

Grazie ancora per questa fonte e chiedo perdono se la traduzione non è proprio accurata, ma l’ho tirata giù di fretta

2 Likes

For context, these were the dragonball ones. Probably their best work, pretty sparkly in person. I bet that pokemon would have looked great with holo backgrounds, but unfortunately we’ll never know.

3 Likes

I agree for the gold edition (it was dbz series blue?)
But then having the same card that could happear in red holofoil, blue holofoil, diamond holofoil, all with the same pattern… and the fact I didn’t really understood the rarity at the time…
that thing got me out from the dbz lamincards… it was getting too much.
But having something that resembles meiji embossed here, in europe… would have been a thing.
What a missed hopportunity…

1 Like

I don’t have much info to add, except for all the Seviper I’ve been able to find for my collection thus far:

As for their languages:
Top row from left to right: Italian; German; French; Spanish
Bottom row from left to right: German; Spanish; Italian

The first one has a copyright year of ©2004, and the other six are all from ©2006.

I have yet to see any English Seviper, so at this point I kinda doubt they exist. I’m also not sure if each of the four different Seviper versions I have here, have been printed in the other four languages (German, French, Italian, Spanish), but I guess that’s possible.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

The ones that looks the same… are actually the same but in different language.

the 2004 is from the PAL collection because of the copyright and the vertical background, even if it’s not spotted on the main post,
the 3 stock is from 2006 PL, as can be seen,
the one with the red rounded background is from 2006 PL Special Edition (because it’s the only one with that particular background, like the 2004 is the only vertical one),

So, yeah, for the orizontal ones I’m starting to think they are the 2006 New Collection.
And I assume the square ones are just a national variant of the 2005 collection, which don’t feature gen3 pokemon (and looks pretty the same to me comparing what I can see).

Like this should everything comes back, right?
Need just to understand which releases outside the 2005 has been printed in english and where the hell is left the first 2004 release I can’t find anything about

Heyyy, so the square ones are the english variants. There is no english ones with the rectangle size and no other language has the square size apart from english. Also the Special Edition 2006 was exclusive to Italian language. They were popular in Spain too, I really wonder why grading companies dont grade these, they are 100% legit.

2 Likes

These are the ones I have in my Mewtwo collection. Missing the French and Spanish versions but those are the easiest to get for me since Im in Spain. You can appreciate the different in size with the english ones. Out of my own personal experience, hardest to find were the english version and the german version. Good night

3 Likes

I know, I mentioned the languages below the pictures. :wink:

Thanks for the info. Good to know when I’m making my Seviper non-TCG update in my collection thread. :smiley:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I want to see your full non-tcg collection!! is there anywhere you have it uploaded?

2 Likes

Not yet I’m afraid. Except for the figures and plushies.

I’ve just been way too busy lately… I also still need/want to make and update a bunch of Pokémon lists that people requested… (Sorry for everyone waiting for it. I’ll get to it eventually.)

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

This was funny to notice, i thought i had matching pairs of all my lamin cards and perhaps all possible variants but when i took this photo i noticed that my “veleno” cards were of different language. The missing grimer was straight on ebay to buy but i didn’t find that missing italian muk so another one to search for in future

5 Likes

Hello! I have three lamincards that i got around 2015~ I’ve done some research and was able to find other slowpoke and beautifly cards, but i haven’t found a copy of my mew. i’ve found a german print of it on an old blog site, but the link to the auction for it is broken and i can’t find anything else, but here they are:

1 Like

Welcome on E4, glad your first message goes on my thread,

As for the Mew, it looks like it’s from the 2005 series BUT from the source I’ve used, and a YouTube video of a dude opening the binder, it appears not to be listed. So it’s either a super-secret promotional-tied release or either from another set.

May I ask you a picture of the back?
Looks like it’s a spanish copy, maybe from the copyrights we can dig further

1 Like

im not home at the moment but i can explain how i got them if it helps. like i said it was around 2015, i had gotten them from a girl with a few other older pokemon cards. all i remember is that she had gotten them from an older sibling. she doesn’t remember anything about them so thats where my story ends :frowning:
if it is a 2005 release then the card would already be 10 years old when i got it. and about it being a promotional: i noticed it was the only card that didnt use official sugimori art, instead its looks exactly like mew in the gen 1 anime/first movie which could be for a reason.
additionally, heres the post about the german cards i mentioned

2 Likes

Yep, they are that old, even if the story is confused I don’t think this is a fake.
Since it’s old and it’s a single card it could be found in pack, gained in a trade, even bought at a garage sale (I Remember buying a few, more than 15 years ago).
When I get home I try to see for something more

Im back with Mew!

incase the text isnt clear, the bottom part says:
(Pokemon Logo) (Lamincards Logo) (Edibas Logo) (Mundi Cromo Sport Logo)
Copyright 2006 Pokemon. Copyright 1995-2006 Nintendo/Creatures Inc/Game Freak Inc.
No special symbols or anything, the back looks exactly like my other lamincards.

These cards are very cool!

they have this nostalgic feel… could it be that they also were released in the Netherlands?