List of All XConcepts Pokemon Mini-Skateboards

Hello everyone,

This is a guide on the XConcepts Pokemon Mini-Skateboards. According to the copyright on the back of the boxes, they were made in 1999, but but according to the Pokemon News article from March 1st, 2000, these were available at the American International Toy Fair in the year 2000. I can’t tell if these were only released at the Toy Fair, if these were revealed at the Toy Fair and then released elsewhere, or if these were sold before the Toy Fair and just happened to be mentioned on the Pokemon website saying they would be available at the Toy Fair as well.

Here’s the original picture from the Pokemon website that I was able to find from Wayback Machine, which is unfortunately really low quality. I don’t know if that’s due to Wayback Machine compressing the images or if that’s because the original website had uploaded a super low-quality version. As you can see you can barely discern what’s on the boards, and you definitely can’t read the text below them, so I believe that there is a higher quality version of this image out there (or at least there was at one point). If anyone happens to have the original image I’d be happy to add it!

Something interesting that I noticed is that the website mentions that there are “68 Pokemon finger skateboards” and the image has 68 skateboards as well, but there are actually more than that (I’ve come up with a total of 74).

The size of these Mini-Skateboards (sealed) is approximately 7.75in x 5.5in x 1.5in

Pokemon Included

• Aerodactyl
  • Arcanine
  • Articuno
  • Beedrill
  • Blastoise
  • Bulbasaur
  • Caterpie
  • Chansey
  • Charizard
  • Charmander
  • Charmeleon
  • Clefairy
  • Cubone
  • Dewgong
  • Dragonite
  • Dratini
  • Dugtrio
  • Eevee
  • Ekans
  • Gastly
  • Gengar
  • Geodude
  • Goldeen
  • Gyarados
  • Hitmonchan
  • Horsea
  • Hypno
  • Ivysaur
  • Jigglypuff
  • Jynx
  • Kadabra
  • Kakuna
  • Kangaskhan
  • Koffing
  • Lickitung
  • Machamp
  • Machop
  • Mankey
  • Meowth
  • Metapod
  • Mewtwo
  • Moltres
  • Nidorina
  • Oddish
  • Parasect
  • Pidgeot
  • Pikachu
  • Pinsir
  • Poliwhirl
  • Porygon
  • Psyduck
  • Raichu
  • Raticate
  • Rattata
  • Scyther
  • Snorlax
  • Staryu
  • Tangela
  • Tauros
  • Tentacruel
  • Vaporeon
  • Vileplume
  • Voltorb
  • Weepinbell
  • Weezing
  • Zapdos
  • Zubat

Unreleased Board

From what I can tell, the variant of the Butterfree featured in the original image was never released, but was instead replaced by this Butterfree:

Expand for unreleased board image

Board Variants

I’ve been able to track down five boards that weren’t featured on the original list, as seen below. I’m not sure if these were released at a later date or why exactly they weren’t included with the original list, but from what I can tell the packaging is identical to the rest so I don’t believe that they are from a different set or release period.

Expand for board variant images

Chansey - the only difference between this board and the one featured in the original list is the background.

Pikachu - this board is the same as one of the other Pikachu boards (same background) except Pikachu is standing vertically instead of horizontally.

New Boards

Four of the boards feature Pokemon that weren’t in the original list and are completely new boards:

Expand for new board images

Gastly

Goldeen

Koffing

Mewtwo

Original Boards (Alphabetical Order):

Expand for board images

Aerodactyl

Arcanine

Articuno

Beedrill

Blastoise

Bulbasaur

Caterpie

Chansey

Charizard

Charmander

Charmeleon

Clefairy

Cubone

Dewgong

Dragonite

Dratini

Dugtrio

Eevee

Ekans

Gengar

Geodude

Gyarados

Hitmonchan

Horsea

Hypno

Ivysaur

Jigglypuff

Jynx

Kadabra

Kakuna

Kangaskhan

Lickitung

Machamp

Machop

Mankey

Meowth

Metapod

Moltres

Nidorina

Oddish

Parasect

Pidgeot

Pikachu 1

Pikachu 2

Pikachu 3

Pikachu 4

Pinsir

Poliwhirl

Porygon

Psyduck

Raichu

Raticate

Rattata

Scyther

Snorlax

Staryu

Tangela

Tauros

Tentacruel

Vaporeon

Vileplume

Voltorb

Weepinbell

Weezing

Zapdos

Zubat

19 Likes

Call me salty but they really must have hated grimer and muk for releasing so many niche item sets without including either of them :neutral_face:

4 Likes

I still need to do a deep dive at my mother’s place. I had both the Gyarados and Mewtwo one (opened of course).

Are there any misprints or any other interesting info besides a few variants? This is a fun resource! Thank you for sharing. :blush:

2 Likes

@azulryu That’s a great question, I’m not aware of any misprints though unfortunately. I could barely find images of all of them online. I’m not sure how many of these were printed either, there may not even have been enough made for errors to have really occurred :blush: If you find any with errors let me know!

2 Likes

Just added a new Koffing board that I haven’t seen before and isn’t included in the original set list ^^

1 Like

Crap! That’s a lot of finger skateboards… I have a jigglypuff and dratini, but not NIB. Not sure why I never got rid of them… but hey! They’re fun little trinkets. Never really jived with me though.

3 Likes

I’ve found it exceptionally difficult to find ones that are NIB, at least in good condition. Most of them were either exposed to sunlight for too long and turned yellow, or have been creased and folded up at some point :frowning:

2 Likes

I picked up a Pikachu one when the first Bear Walker boards dropped as a joke

Shown below, pictured with the London board

3 Likes

We both did, I remember us joking about it in discord :slight_smile: It was so funny to watch how confused the seller was as we and a few others bought out their inventory.

4 Likes

Ah that’s right. Probably inspired this thread in the first place haha

2 Likes

Ngl these mini skateboards are tempting! Tech decks were a fun time in the late 90s early 00s.

1 Like

Yep, it’s true, it did! All of my posts are inspired by my desire to own all things Oddish, and in my quest to do that I need to become knowledgeable about all non-TCG items as well. I ended up buying two Oddish skateboards as well :smiley:

4 Likes

They are really cool, I enjoy them quite a lot. They look great next to collections as well, in my opinion. There are also Snowboard companions to these, I hope to cover those in an article in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If anyone would like better quality images, Tech Deck & Fingerboard Collectors/Enthusiasts | Facebook is the Tech Deck Archive group, I have all the info and high res images of both the skateboards and snowboards.

www.techdeckarchive.com launches 10.1.23 as well and will have them there.

6 Likes

[Group 1]
Ivysaur 002 Pikachu 025 Poliwhirl 061
Blastoise 009 Jigglypuff 039 Metapod 011

[Group 2]
Gyarados 130 Machamp 068 Chansey 113
Kangaskhan 115 Arcanine 059 Raichu 026

[Group 3]
Bulbasaur 001 Pikachu 025 Charizard 006
Hitmonchan 107 Hypno 097 Moltres 146

[Group 4]
Pikachu 025 Articuno 144 Kadabra 064
Weezing 110 Pikachu 025 Vaporeon 134

[Group 5]
Rattata 019 Mewtwo 150 Psyduck 054
Dugtrio 051 Dratini 147 Scyther 123

[Group 6]
Pinsir 127 Meowth 052 Dragonite 149
Pidgeot 018 Golduck 055 Oddish 043

[Group 7]
Horsea 116 Voltorb 100 Cubone 104
Eevee 133 Geodude 074 Caterpie 010

[Group 8]
Snorlax 143 Zapdos 145 Clefairy 035
Butterfree 012 Gengar 094 Machop 066

[Group 9]
Lickitung 108 Zubat 041 Jynx 124
Beedrill 015 Mankey 056 Tauros 128

[Group 10]
Porygon 137 Weepinbell 070 Tangela 114
Charmander 004 Staryu 120 Kakuna 014

[Group 11]
Ekans 023 Tentacruel 073 Charmeleon 005
Aerodactyl 142 Vileplume 045 Parasect 047

[Group 12]
Nidorina 030 Raticate 020 Dewgong 087

4 Likes

Are you able to post the high-res images of the skateboards here?

Also this is an image of the snowboards, I have a separate article for the snowboards :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried to earlier and it said new members can only upload one image per post. Give me a few to get in my laptop and ill try again, if it wont, ill upload them to the archive server and hard link you.

Please note. Like every other sales document i have from back in the day, they were issued by the marketing department to market specifically to the toy retailer, and had lots of errors as we call them today.

1 Like

Ya man, it’s telling me new members can only post one uploaded item. I will get around to uploading them tonight. I have 3000x3000 resolution on these images and I also cropped and cut every board out and have it on white background as well.

If you’d like a copy of them, I will gladly send them, just credit Tech Deck Archive for them please, If it’s alright with you, I would like to use a couple of the images you shared, i will gladly credit you/pokemon site if allowed too as the source.

1 Like