Pokemon GAME tier list!

i want to see yours! https://tiermaker.com/create/pokemon-mainline-games
here is mine:

6 Likes

I haven’t played all of the games, and am also an optimist, but here were my choices:

5 Likes

Based on what I’ve played and how much I ended up playing them
Red & Blue were my first games but I drained a mountain of AA batteries on the GBC for Silver & Gold; good thing DS Lite was rechargeable for their remakes

4 Likes

Played Red, Blue, & Yellow as a kid. “Grew out” of Pokémon during Silver, Gold, & Crystal. :rofl: Picked up Fire Red freshman year of college, which was awesome for long bus rides. (GBA is my all-time favorite game system.) I’ve since played a few others and picked up a copy of Crystal. Saving it to play on a rainy day, but very much looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I respect all people opinions but placing gold and silver on D… well, you clearly didnt play them when they originally came out
Here is mine

6 Likes

First, there are some games missing. I added the ones I’d played.

I decided to balance;

• re-make/new-gen,
  • gameplay (like snagging pokemon from baddies!),
  • story progression,
  • map progression (How many Ef*ing caves did I have to go through with Strength HM?!),
  • region design (HGSS and SM FTW),
  • mechanics for the era (wireless link “cable” on the bus after school?!),
  • legacy (Kanto region), and lastly, and possibly most important:
  • Did I want to keep playing it, or was it a chore?
    Here’s mine In Order from Left to Right, and top to bottom. Let the ofenses begin! =) heh

Side Note: Colosseum had the most badass protagonist a PkMn game has ever seen! Tho it’s gameplay was dreadfully arduous at times…

1 Like

Call me crazy but I really liked Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee. It was a nice twist on the originals.

2 Likes

Totally, colosseum and XD were such good games considering the date they were released. I wonder why they didnt elaborate anymore in that kind of games

3 Likes

Listed only the Played ones. Have no Idea about the other Games.
Silver was the Game i played the Most.

3 Likes

1 Like

This list is complicated.

White 2 is the closest they’ve ever come to make a perfect game. You don’t have to glitch or gameshark, spam level 91 Zigzagoons for a 1% chance of getting the items you desperately need, most time wasting mechanisms are gone, TM’s are everlasting, White treehollow exists (yes, the key is stupid but so much better than any option.) All this while maintaining old school graphics, a somewhat compelling story mode, a great map and a fantastic metagame.

You don’t have to become a basement dwelling wizard to get anything done, you don’t need to run 5 different games on 3 different consoles with $200 worth of fragile connecting gear to facilitate the substance that should be available on a single cartridge. You don’t have to risk your save file copying things before the internal battery inevitably dies before you manage to build a single team like in GSC, you don’t have to sacrifice mechanics to get those sexy graphics like in Yellow, FRLG and HGSS.

Platinum is a half decent runner up in terms of mechanics, but the story mode is meh, Sinnoh is by far the weakest old school region, and although I like the meta I much prefer GSC, ADV and B2W2.

If I was to give these games some slack on some of the bullshit, then Emerald, Gold, Yellow and Leaf Green would make the S-tier cut as well:

3 Likes

I like your consideration of the physical hardware that the games ran on. Can’t say I disagree after that… Never played W/B 2… :thinking:

2 Likes

2 Likes

I played Gen 1-4 then ultra moon and on. Completely missed the middle games

1 Like

Didnt we already have a “how old are you” thread?

9 Likes

This was pretty tough! Gens 1 & 2 are heavy with nostalgia for me and HG/SS are arguably the best the series has ever been in almost every way.

3 Likes

Stealing pokemon from evil trainers is the best mechanic out of all of the games. Also, the choice to have only double battles in those games were just… chef’s kiss

2 Likes

I chose to rank by the games’ current playability/enjoyment factor, not necessarily the games that I have the most attachment to. Red/Blue/Yellow will always have a foot in the door from “Greatest Pokemon Games” because they obviously paved the way for everything else, but let’s ignore that for a second :wink:

1 Like

Crazy how different everyone’s list is!

2 Likes

I reworked the tiering because I don’t think any main-series game is bad, they’re just different degrees of good, often for different reasons.

2 Likes