Pokemon Classics Collection (Update: Chapter 3-4, 6/11)

Hey Everyone,

Even though I have been part of this community for years, I haven’t been particularly active on this forum or on social media; collecting has always been primarily a summer hobby for me. Anyway, this year I decided to become more involved! In addition to running my eBay store (per usual), I will be starting a YouTube channel and am now on Instagram: Pokemon Classics (following many of you already). Anyway, I thought I would kick off my inaugural collection post will just a brief snapshot of my collection and a glimpse into my past with Pokemon.

Chapter 1: An Unexpected Raichu

I started collecting in 3rd grade when Pokemon was first released. One of my best friends invited me to a local card shop called “Shinders” on his birthday to get some Pokemon cards (which were all the rage in school). I remember being fascinated by the sudden popularity of Pokemon; I hadn’t seen the TV show or played the Gameboy game, but nevertheless, I still wanted some cards. As it turns out, Shinders sold singles in addition to booster packs . . . my plan had originally been to buy 5-6 booster packs, but when I saw a shadowless Raichu for $15, I couldn’t resist. You see, rumor had it that a local wealthy classmate, Josey, was only missing Raichu from completing the entire Base set. Though he was in a different class and I had never actually spoken to the guy, I had heard that he possessed a holofoil Mew and multiple Charizards that he was willing to trade for a Raichu. As with most school yard talk, this legend only proved to be partially true; however, I never did get the chance to discover what might have been because after my parents found out I spent $15 on a piece of cardboard, I got a stern talking to about money and was forbidden from trading it away . . . which I never did (though it’s not exactly “mint” anymore).

Chapter 2: My Promotion
Anyway, slowly but surely, my interest in Pokemon and my collection grew through occasional purchases and shrewd trading with fellow players/classmates. By the time I hit 5th grade, and the Team Rocket set was launched, I stumbled upon a league at my local On Cue store (side note, I miss those stores!). I started attending league events every weekend and after about a year, one of the two Gym Leaders, Jeremy, moved and gifted me his several of his decks. More importantly, however, Chad the other Gym Leader gifted me Jeremy’s position as Gym Leader, including the XXL shirt, green stamp, and responsibilities therein. Chad was a senior in high school at the time and a something of a role model and mentor to my 6th grade self. Being entrusted to help run the league was a really pivotal moment in my adolescence: I learned how to organize and manage tournaments, fill-out/mail league paperwork, arrive early to help set-up the store, and mentor those younger than myself in the same way I was mentored. Perhaps others share this feeling, but my current interest in Pokemon is not really inspired by the cards themselves or their artworks/value/rarity, but retaining some of this childhood enthusiasm and excitement that I felt each weekend. I would even ride my bike two miles in the harsh Minnesota winters, rarely did I miss a league event.

*I will continue my story with occasional entries throughout the summer.

17 Likes

I have my popcorn ready for the next installment. :blush: And I LOVE how you have your collection displayed. It’s hard to find a space efficient and attractive way to display encapsulated cards. Are those all a type of shadow box?

3 Likes

Love that display! If I didn’t have kids I’d opt for something like that so I could show off my collection.

Well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! The main displays are PSA Display Cases from eBay, and the other two are small shadowboxes. This is actually one of three walls in my office that are displaying my personal collection.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: Great collection thread! Left me with water in my mouth for more!!

Chapter 3: Supertrainer Showdown

In the summer of 2001, I came across a flyer for the Pokemon TCG Tour and qualifiers for the Supertrainer Showdown in New Jersey. Although I had never really played competitively outside my local league, a group of my friends decided to attend the event in Roseville, MN. This event coincided almost perfectly with the release of Neo Discovery, and I remember having constructed a dark, psychic deck that I was rather proud of (they allowed Sneasel at this event but had giant billboards informing players that Sneasel would be banned from competitive play at the Supertrainer Showdown). Anyway, I made it much further than I expected, the semi-final round of the session, before being defeated, quite humiliatingly, by an electric, energy-removal deck. I delayed the inevitable as long as possible, using Alakazam’s damage swap to spread out the damage, but there wasn’t much else I could do. Anyway, I remember walking away from that tournament with a great experience and half my body weight in Neo Discovery booster packs which were awarded as prizes. I also received some merchandise including the hat pictured below. With enough packs to construct an entire Neo Discovery set (perhaps multiple sets), the collector gears in my head started turning, and I decided to start collecting every WOTC card available.

10 Likes

You had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

Really like reading your story, very different from mine. Anyway, I wil certainly be following this thread and definitly will be checking out your youtube channel when you’re gonna make one.

1 Like

I wish I had some cards/items from my childhood with interesting stories behind them :confused:

My best story is

I liked that card.
I bought the card.
I have no money.

End.

Lmao

4 Likes

I think that story is all-to-familiar to us all! :grin:

1 Like

Chapter 4: From Player to Collector

With my newly acquired Neo Discovery cards, I decided that I would start collecting all the original WOTC sets. Being the forward-thinking middle schooler that I was, I anticipated 1st Edition Base Set one day sharing the financial success of the early Magic the Gathering sets. Considering my involvement in the Pokemon community and success in tournament play, my mom seemed to embrace my choice of hobby, though she still scoffed at me for spending $50 on a 1st Edition Blastoise. Thus the quest for 1st Edition Base Set begun! Words cannot describe how hard it was to track down these cards prior to eBay; I remember searching through hundreds of trade binders for potential additions. I got a Chansey for a neighborhood friend and eventually Nidoking, Magneton, Poliwrath, Mewtwo in due time. Though I wanted mint cards, condition was a non-factor as it would be unfathomable to find multiple copies of the same card within the reach of a 13 year-old. I never did complete the set in 1st edition, but had the overwhelming majority pieced together (about 80/102) from my local excursions. I kept them sleeved and in a sealed plastic case on my dresser, where the remained until I graduated high school. I used to joke with my parents that one day they would pay for my college; a statement that turned out to be somewhat prophetic. Though they rolled their eyes, they still supported me as long as I saved up own money and was responsible with my purchases/trades. Below is my Wizards of the Coast binder with my complete sets (most of which are in really rough shape).

In 2007, I re-entered the Pokemon world through eBay, completing my 1st Edition Base Set collection over the next couple years. I actually bought several 1st Edition raw Charizards for what would now be considered ridiculous prices (3 of which were under $200, yet graded PSA 9’s). It became a new obsession to upgrade my collection with mint copies of the cards from my youth. By the time I graduated college in the spring of 2011, I had a fairly extensive collection of sealed product and WOTC cards (mostly 1st editions). Fortunately, I didn’t need to liquidate my whole collection to pay off college loans. I had finished high school 2nd in my graduating class of 450 and received a scholarship covering 80% of my tuition at a private university for all four years (provided I maintain a 3.8 GPA, participate in the Honors Program, and complete weekly community service projects). The other 20% was funded by my Pokemon sales . . . something my family is still in disbelief about.

7 Likes