How many years have you been collecting and collecting stories

I thought it would be cool to talk about how long everyone has been collecting? If you stayed in the hobby and never left what kept you around during the hard years? If you stopped collecting and came back what brought you back to collecting pokemon? Also tell us your collecting stories and journey. Lessons you learned along the way etc.

I’ll start. I collected as a kid when base set originally came out. I had every Holo almost all in first edition fr base thru fossil. I stopped collecting when I got more into skateboarding and hanging out with my friends. Eventually we moved from Rhode Island to Indiana and Magic Movers highjacked our stuff and made us pay a ransom to get our stuff back that was already pilfered thru.

Throughout the years I played the video games on and off. I also opened and bought packs for my nephew kind of giving myself a excuse to open cards over the years.

3 years ago I watched Detective Pikachu on Netflix followed by some YouTube videos of pack opening. Smpratte videos etc. Which led me to opening a ton of collection boxes and usually getting no pulls and only keeping the promos. I eventually started just buying singles of the rainbow Rares and gold cards from sun and moon. Then I found tcgplayer and looked up the original sets and was stunned how cheap they still were. I immediately started collecting every wotc 1st edition Holo. E series. Crystals Shinings etc. For base set I went for unlimited.

I collected all the ex’s, primes, full arts, rainbow Rares, gold cards etc. Luckily I recorded everything on YouTube to look back on. I skipped Skyridge so I decided to go back for those cards because they are so amazing and just had to have them. Ungraded versions were going for graded prices. Which is how I started my graded collection. Before that I had a random shining Tyranitar, Dark Porygon2, Dark Typhlosion, Mew Prime and the supreme victors legendary birds for my only graded cards.

When I was collecting ungraded cards everything was budget focused. I got some cards for crazy deals. $20 light played 1st edition T17. $50 light played 1st edition neo Gen Lugia. Mint 1st edition Dark Charizard for $50 etc. While PSA was shut down I inspected my cards a lot closer and decided many weren’t worthy of getting a PSA 9 which at the time I wasn’t collecting 8s either.

So I decided to sell everything to finish Skyridge and grab more graded cards. Which eventually led to Aquapolis, Expedition, Neo Destiny etc. Luckily when I did sell it was at the peak so I got crazy prices for my cards. Sold the Lugia for $1000 and even after a $300 partial refund I got muscled out of that’s still a mean profit. That also means I bought a few cards like Aquapolis Tyranitar at all time highs. I spent every penny back on my collection. I also started spending a good chunk out of every paycheck. Which has added up to a huge collection worth a ton of money. I’m always thrilled to add a new card to my collection. And I’m thrilled I’ve been collecting as long as I have.

Anyone else have any crazy stories or experiences?

How long have you guys been on the collecting grind?

16 Likes

My story is very similar to yours and I’m sure many others. I got into Pokémon in 99’ with the TV show and cards. The games were my main source of enjoyment and how I connected most with the franchise. It’s hard to say exactly when I started collecting as I didn’t consider my self a collector as a kid, I just wanted to have the cards and toys. I’d say I fell of buying the cards in 2003 right after EX Ruby and Saphire came out, that’s the last pack I remember opening as a youngster. That’s also around the time I started to really get more into skateboarding. The video games never left me though, I had my moments in high school thinking I was too old to be enjoying Pokémon games but I couldn’t put them down for long.

Fast forward to 2018. I was into Pokémon Go, big time. I had just earned my first EX-Raid invite to catch Mewtwo. I wanted to commemorate the event by buying myself a Mewtwo pin to put on my sling bag that I used when playing the game. At target there was the Shining Legends blister pack with the pin (the packs were completely secondary to me, the pin was all I really wanted). I ended up pulling the Shining Mew and fell back in love with the cards. I learned about grading and the more serious side of collecting and that was that!

8 Likes

I told this story a few times before, but it’s been a while, so here it is again. :slight_smile:

TL;DR: I started collecting when Pokémon was first released in The Netherlands mid-1999 when I was 7 years old, and casually collected until about 14/15 years old. Then I came back collecting mid-2015, and have been collecting since. (A short summary of my collection goals and what I own can be found near the bottom of this post.)

As for the whole story in detail:

When I was 7 years old me and my little brother were zapping on TV a bit when we came across a cartoon about a young boy throwing a red-white ball at a caterpillar (the end of episode 2). Intrigued, we continued watching the next episodes, and I’ve been hooked ever since. The next week our parents bought us our very first booster pack (English unlimited edition Base Set). I pulled a holo Chansey, and my little brother a holo Alakazam. As a kid I didn’t really care about holos though, unlike some classmates, so when someone offered me a Pidgey, Pidgeotto, AND Vulpix for my Chansey I gladly accepted. The more cards the better. That same week on the 8 o’clock news the Pokémon craze were the talk of the day. They stated some collectors even paid 100 Gulden (old Dutch currency) for some cards, and they showed a Charizard, and, you guessed it… a Chansey. Looking back they probably meant a 1st edition Shadowless version, but as a 7-year old kid I didn’t knew these differences existed, and I doubt the news reporter did either.
My second two packs were unlimited edition Jungle, which contained a holo Jolteon and holo Snorlax. I still have the Jolteon today (in Played condition :rofl: ), and it’s my favorite card from the Jungle set. The Snorlax I traded for a WB Mewtwo promo. The trade wasn’t too bad at the time, but now it would be a very, very bad trade.
Some other memorable pulls were a Shining Magikarp from Neo Revelations and Crystal Kingdra from Aquapolis (my brother had the Shining Gyarados and Crystal Nidoking. Quite funny how we remained even with our pulls, although he had a triple-star Shining Steelix I’ve been jealous of for quite a while. :wink: )
I’ve been collecting on and off until about the age of 14 or 15. I only opened a few booster packs a year, and never opened a booster box in my life at that time.

At the age of 18-20 I played Yu-Gi-Oh quite a lot online, and also bought cards to recreate those decks irl, even though I had no one to play with except for my little brother. Eventually I came across TrollAndToad.com where they not only sold Yu-Gi-Oh cards, but also Pokémon. I bought a Hitmonlee, Venusaur and Nidoking (the only three cards I was missing of the first 151 Pokémon).
Then, in August/September 2015 I came across all the Pikachus on TrollAndToad and bought all below 10 USD on impulse, which was basically the start of my Pikachu collection. At the time, my most expensive purchase was a Secret Rare Black Rose Dragon for 22 USD (oh, how times have changed! :upside_down_face: ).
When the Pikachus arrived I had around 50, and I started looking online at how many existed at websites like Bulbapedia and forums. I bought all cheap ones I could find, but eventually started buying more expensive cards from TrollAndToad.com as well (< 50 USD). And it wasn’t long after, that I decided to also collect foreign Pikachu cards.

When searching for information online, I eventually came across justinator’s website. At the time, in December 2015, he had around 550 of the ~650 Pikachus, and only then I realized how many Pikachus actually existed. He owned or was searching for Pikachus I had never even seen before, and he was a real inspiration for me. When I joined the forum on February 21st, 2016 I had around 250 Pikachus, and my very first post was in Justin’s collection thread.
Then in August 2016 I created my own collection thread. At that point I had 472 Pikachus + 53 more incoming. Most of my story can then be found in that collection thread, but here are some highlights:

• In August 2016 my 500th Pikachu arrived: the English 5/5 Kids WB Creator Contest Pikachu.
  • In September 2016 my very first Art Academy Pikachu had arrived. I paid more for it than any other card thus far (300 USD), so I wasn’t buying cards for less than 20 USD anymore by a long shot.
  • In Augustus 2016 I started collecting Jumbo Pikachus as well, and one month later in October 2016 I already finished it. Apparently I choose the perfect time to collect them, and all except for two could be found on eBay.com right away. For one of the other two I use Noppin as middleman service for Yahoo Japan, which was the first time I had used YJ or a middleman service.
  • In October 2016 I wrote my Base Pikachu artwork variations article, which has been expanded quite a lot over the years (although I still need to update it with the Celebrations cards and 25th anniversary Jumbos).
  • In December 2016 my first Extended Artwork Base Pikachu arrived from Lunumbra (right now I have over 83 of them, from 83 different artists).
  • In January 2017 I created my Instagram as well as my first Pikachu collection video. I had about 700 at the time, and had just surpassed Justin. A.f.a.i.k. I owned the largest Pikachu TCG collection in the world at the time. I also collected Sevipers since a few months prior (my favorite Pokémon), and after seeing the first few episode of Sun & Moon I decided to collect Mimikyus as well.
  • In June 2017 the Matchprint Pikachu arrived which I bought from Rusty. The rarest Pikachu card I own (I paid 1k USD), with only two copies in existence.
  • In August 2017 I made my 1st edition stamps variations article.
  • In September 2017 I decided to collect the #21 Moltres promo in all raw and sealed variations, including the four English/japanese ones in PSA-10.
  • In March 2018 my 1000th Pikachu arrived. Nothing too special: a Japanese 207/SM-P Pikachu, but defintely special for me.
  • In June 2018 I started collecting Full Art Supporter cards, which was completed except for one card in July 2018. :sweat_smile:
  • In December 2018 I bought that last card as well, the PSA-10 085/SM-P The Masked Royal, which apart from my first car was my most expensive purchase ever (I’ve bought it for 3.4k USD)
  • In February 2019 when the Team Up set was released I decided to stop collecting Mimikyu, since that set contained 10 FA Supporters; 4 Pikachu; and 6 Mimikyu, multiplied by (at the time) 10 active languages.
  • In May 2019 I collected and posted my National Index collecting including all Forms & Shiny Pokémon.
  • In June 2019, after it was lost in Paris for three months, my pop-1 BGS Black Label Moltres arrived.
  • In September 2019 I took over my little brother’s childhood collection.
  • In September-November 2019 I was collecting one of each Yu-Gi-Oh rarity, and also made an article for it
  • In October 2020 I completed my Seviper collecting by adding the Japanese unlimited WCP Seviper, the last card I was missing. A.f.a.i.k. I owned the first and only completed single Pokémon collection in all available languages/variations at the time (although I know of three such collections now)
  • In November 2020 I started my ‘Pikachu around the World’ collection series, starting with the first alphabetical language Chinese. In this series I went over my ENTIRE Pikachu collection, one language/category at a time.
  • In December 2020 my 1500th unique Pikachu card arrived, the French Pikachu Vmax Hyper Rare
  • From February 27th, 2021 (25th Pokémon Day) onward I decided to only collect all English Pikachu, and one of each Japanese-exclusive artwork, for new releases, since it was too expensive to continue with all languages. The only exception are the Base Set artwork variations, for which I still get all languages.
  • In May 2021 my most expensive bought card thus far arrived, the German Birthday Pikachu, for which I paid 3.6k euros (~4.4k USD at the time)
  • In September 2021 I started and completed my XY BREAKthrough 124/162 Swablu collection, my second favorite TCG artwork after the Moltres #21 WotC promo
  • In October 2021 I completed my Ancient Mew PSA-10 sixtet, as well as another small (14-card) collection: the first card released in each TCG language
  • In April 2022 I completed writing my ‘Pikachu around the World’ collection series. The last part, with links to all the previous parts at the top, can be found here.
  • In May 2022 I started my ‘Non-TCG Seviper’ collection series, with the first part: plushies and figures.

As for a summary of my current collections and their states:

1. Pikachu: I own 1712 unique Pikachu TCG cards; with 6 more incoming; and 84 additional altered/extended cards. I’m currently missing just 10 (out of 1433) Pikachu cards released prior to February 27th, 2021 to ‘complete’ my collection goal.
  2. Seviper: My Seviper collection is 100% complete in all languages and variations.
  3. Full Art Supporters and Character Rares: 100% complete, except for some incoming cards from the latest sets, and I’m still waiting for some Japanese cards to release in English
  4. Moltres WotC #21 promo artwork: Only missing the sealed Swedish variation to complete it (and preferably also a GRAAD-9+ Italian Moltres). A CGC Perfect quad-10 is currently incoming.
  5. Ancient Mew PSA-10 sixtet: Completed.
  6. Swablu BREAKthrough 124/162 artwork: 100% completed.
  7. First card released in each (of the 14) TCG languages: 100% completed.
  8. Seviper non-TCG: Ongoing. Currently missing five figures; and quite a few stickers and non-TCG cards and such. But I do have a lot of products/items already, which I’ll show in my collection thread over time. :slight_smile:

National Index Collection including forms / Shiny Pokémon:
Yu-Gi-Oh rarity collection:
Mimikyu collection:
All three of these I’ve stopped, and probably won’t pick up anymore. Mimikyu I’ve stopped soon after the Team Up set was released in February 2019; the National Index collection I had completed up to the Sun & Moon era, and stopped just before the Sword & Shield era started at the start of 2020; the Yu-Gi-Oh rarity collection was complete except for one rarity exclusively used on Trophy cards, and some misprinted rarities, but I’ve stopped it around mid-2020. I might continue this last collection eventually, if only the English and Korean Ten Thousand Dragon wasn’t so expensive… :unamused:

In general: I currently own 13,263 unique non-duplicated Pokémon TCG cards; one sealed booster box; four sealed Decks; and eight sealed booster packs, with roughly 10k more duplicated cards I have yet to sell…

All in all it’s been a great journey so far, and sharing things like this with this awesome community is a great part of my collecting experience as well. Here’s to many more amazing Pokémon related years!! :grin:

Greetz,
Quuador

15 Likes

Started in the beginning of the Pokemon boom back in ’99 collected for a year or so and then moved to the next craze what ever that was…

Fast forward 15 years now I’m in my late 20s. I saw One of GemMintPokemon’s PSA return videos and thought to myself ”that dude is having ton of fun and the way he says PSA 9 sounds funny.” I did little research about current TCG cards and what I thought were cool cards (Gold Stars and Shinings) and in to the rabbit hole I went.

7 Likes

Hi guys :smiley:

Thanks for sharing and I am here to add my story as well. I have been collecting for almost 2 years now and entered the hobby during the end 2020 pandemic mad rush peak period XD. As an adult nearing his 30s at that point of time, it took me awhile as I really pondered over the decision of nose diving into cardboard collecting at my age. Thankfully after some thought I told myself, fk it, lets just go for it baby.

Before I actually made my first purchase since returning to the hobby, I remembered asking myself why did I leave Pokemon in the first place and I concluded that the mundane process of just buying a card, putting it into the binder and moving on was prolly the reason. Therefore eager to make sure I dont fall into the same trap 20 years later; I bit the bullet and made a Pokemon account on instagram, never looked back ever since.

Away from the human aspect of things, collection wise I was always fond of Japanese vintage cards due to the cosmo holo pattern and the trademark brown borders. I really fancied the Japanese base and neo set; thus a good bulk of my early research on the hobby revolved around these 2 sets. Around Christmas period in 2020, I discovered E4 by incident (thanks @smpratte <3) and the guides, resource section was prolly the best christmas gift that I received. I’ve spent hours and hours everyday reading up on different posts, following debates of old members (Pokemonsyndicate and no rarities lmao), and learning how to shop for cards in Japan and Korea.

The most of 2021 was just spent on furthering my collection in the vintage Japanese collection; I fell in love with some of the non TCG collectibles such as Telephone cards and Post cards so they form part of my collection till date.

Re-entering the hobby in such a hectic period (end 2020 ); it was difficult not to be affected by the heavy relation of cards to its value. Throughout this period I’ve learnt abou the fundamentals of grading, the importance of card condition, the happiness of making a good deal, and the pain of getting scammed from the too-good-to-be-true listings on foreign sites. However through it all, I realised that it is still true passion for the hobby that will allow you to survive the ups and downs.

Lastly, I believe that the people we cross paths with will also heavily impact our experience in the hobby. I am keen to share what I know to those newer in the hobby; and learn from the older collectors who prevailed through the years and still as passionate as the day they first set eyes on their first favourite card.

Very thankful for what the hobby has to offer; cheers!
Feel free to check out my collection @JustinfromSG on IG and go Team Umbreon! ^^v

8 Likes

I have been into Pokemon from 1999 (autumn) when the tv series started in the Netherlands.
My kids loved it and wanted cards. I bought them and from there it’s history.
Never been away, Always kept teaching the game. Playing the game. But I stopped collecting full (masters) sets around 2013.
Even today I did a draft tournament with 2 new players entering. It’s to much fun.

4 Likes

I guess I’m younger than those who have already posted as I’m a gen 3 kid. Fully obsessed with it as a kid and I opened packs until EX TRR. I then got back into Yugioh in 2011 which sparked some Pokemon playing (yes playing the actual card game instead of collecting) which led to me selling lots of nice B&W full art EX cards I wish I still had now but fortunately I still have some of the cards I was using at the time. Around 2015 I decided it was time to finish my raw EX sets from R&S through TRR. I had been buying some EX’s here and there casually if I saw them in person at stores and such but I dont remember why I became extremely motivated to do it then but boy am I glad I did since I was able to get every single one for under $50 except the zard which was $100. Don’t think it would have been realistic now if I had waited. And then that was about it Pokemon card collecting wise until the summer of 2019. I had always watched Rusty from even when he was still The Charizard Authority but it was the emergence of Z&G that really got me into things again. I liked the old style sales videos and just seeing the different types of sealed product he had and his style was entertaining to me but it wasn’t until the pandemic that I really started collecting Pokemon cards again. I joined here a few weeks into the pandemic thinking that I was just gonna be here to have a buy list (before the 50 requirement for all of you noobs here) but I got hooked. So much cool content and then conversations showing me such cool cards I had never thought about before. And now here I am. I don’t buy as much as I used to but still enjoy modern sets as they come out. Vintage wise for the most part I have what I want but I’m sure if prices are right there would be others that I pick up.

7 Likes

Unlike many of you, I did not start with the original pokemon craze in the 90’s. The first set I vividly remember opening was Diamond and Pearl and i can also remember the day i got my DS and pokemon diamond. My memory is a bit fuzzy but lots of the things i was into as a child was recycled to me from my cousin. Legos, pokemon, power rangers. I was given his cards before that but i cant really pinpoint when exactly this was, so i always just say i started during DP.

The best part was sharing this experience with my friends. We played the games together all the time. We played HGSS and BW together on release, and those are some of my fondest memories. I was always into the cards but it was definitely a backseat to the gaming. My friends all grew out of the franchise after black and white because we were in middle school. I kept playing but definitely lost something after that.

In highschool i got back into collecting right before the pokemongo boom. I think it started by playing ptcgo and then finding out about the monthly generations box releases! I started digging around and found all my old cards from my childhood including my cousins collection. I started looking up values and saw the price of a 1st edition charizard and was mistaken and thought my shadowless one was the same thing!

Here is a picture i took in my excitement! Its dated feb 2016. After that my birthday was that upcoming march and with all my birthday money i decided to make a big purchase. My little monkey brain saw the charizard graded by psa selling for more than the raw version so i wanted to get a different charizard but also graded by psa.

I paid 225 for this card back in the day, and after the fact i kind of regretted the purchase. How could i have spent so much money on a pokemon card? For the next couple years i collected on and off for my binder collection and didnt buy another graded card until the summer of 2019. Im very fortunate to have gotten back when i did because we all know what happened in 6 months with the pandemic

After the pandemic i seriously considered selling my blaines charizard but always decided against it because of the sentimentality. To most its peanuts to the amount of money their cards are worth, but to me as a kid in highschool it felt crazy owning something worth over a thousand dollars

5 Likes

I was 14 in 99’ and collected and played the card game up until the neo series (along with the video games). Switched over to yugioh in high school. I got back in a few months after Logan’s first break, I remember vivid voltage was going for $200. Bought the base set trio first (never had a base zard growing up so this was big for me) made some mistakes during the hype but learned quick in about 6 months from people like SMPratte! (Thanks a bunch!).

Collecting smarter these days and still love playing yugioh :+1:

7 Likes

Great thread!

TLDR: Collecting consistently since Summer 2019, but I have collected on and off since WOTC.

Pokemon has been a part of my life on and off for many years. I flip flopped between the games, the tcg, the tv show as well as other hobbies. I was particularly fond of Yu-Gi-Oh for many years. I collected a lot of cards from the original era through the beginning of 5Ds. There were also some Legos, Star Wars Figures, and Nerf Guns thrown in. There were multiyear gaps with no Pokémon followed by brief bursts of interest. This was my collecting journey until Summer 2019.

My earliest card memories are with Wotc. I had cards from the first half of wotc, although I don’t remember ever opening up packs to get them. I have some cousins that are a couple years older, so its highly likely that some of their cards made their way to me throughout childhood. I recall opening up something outside of a 7-11 of all places. I wanna say it was a base set pack, but it could have been one of the Machamp starter decks for all I know. I remember something blue :person_shrugging: That is probably my earliest Pokemon memory, but there are other moments where I remember cards, such as sitting on my room floor with dozens all scattered around. I was only a few years old, so its no surprise I can’t place events in order.

Anyways, sometime around 2007, an older cousin gifted me a bunch of his cards that he didn’t care for anymore. Most of these cards were from the later ex era sets, with a few dating back to early wotc. The ex era ones would become my most cherished cards and would help solidify my love for all things Gen 3. The set stamps were my favorite part of the cards. He had a quite a few ex pokemon that made it into my collection. The only ex era product I remember opening was a Dragon Frontiers Feraligatr Delta Species theme deck!

I was really drawn to the delta species cards, particularly the dual steel type ones! I’m sure that I opened and pulled some these cards, but I have no memories to prove it! Here are some of the cards that I really liked from this point in my collection history:

My memory gets a lot better once we get to DPP. I’ve opened just about every DPP era Lv. X tin, and still have most if not all the promos in my collection. Every time I went to Target or Walmart I was always asking for one of the “$20 tins”, and often used what little money I had to buy them. Only recently I learned that many of these tins were likely under that $20 price tag (it was a low point in Pokemon after all), but I will always think of “$20 tins” when I see a Lv X promo. I remember seeing bunches of Mewtwo and Charizard Lv. X tins at Target/Walmart, as well as tons of the starter evolution tins.

It was around this time that I developed a fascination with the HP of a pokemon. I had no real grasp of what a “set” was, nor what “secret rares” or “chase cards” were. To me, the “best” cards were the ones with the most HP. It’s funny to think about now, but I was more excited back then to pull some non holo with 100 hp, than a holo with less than that. I remember trading away a Neo Genesis Lugia to someone at recess for some random card with 100+ hp. This was obviously a great deal on my part, as Lugia only has 90 HP :cry: Outside of this trade and another that also involved a Lugia, though this one being the Pop series 5 one, I never got rid of any cards. I’ve never sold any cards and don’t really plan to. I have lost quite a few though.

The last product I remember opening from this era was the Jumbo Arceus promo collection box. Funny enough, I really didn’t care for it! I didn’t like the jumbo and it seemed awkward trying to find a place for it. Its long lost now, but still nostalgic for me.

Here are some of my favorite cards/products I remember opening from this era:

It was the end of Platinum era that saw a long gap in my collecting history. While I have some cards from the HGSS sets, I have no memory of pulling them, nor any strong connection to the sets like I do for DPP and ex. I did purchase Pokémon Black for Nintendo DS, but I had no interest in the cards. For many years I really didn’t care about Pokémon. I was more focused on playing Call of Duty to be honest.

During high school I got into the Pokémon games again. This reintroduction was spearheaded by my love for ChuggaaConroy’s Pokémon Emerald playthrough. I was (and still am) quite a noob when it comes to the Pokémon games. His playthrough of Emerald really captivated my attention, mainly due to his in depth bios for every single Pokémon. I learned so much about the games from him, and spent the next few years playing emulators. My favorite game to play was Emerald, and to this day it remains my favorite of all the games. I have a connection to the cards from ex, the games, as well as the tv show/movies.

While I was back into emulated games, I didn’t get into the cards until 2019. I don’t remember which video it was, but Youtube recommended me a video from Unlistedleaf. In this video (or videos?), he opened up Skyridge booster packs, as well as a bunch of other wotc sets. When he explained how expensive Skyridge packs (and even the empty wrapper!) were and how rare and sought after the set was, I was hooked. The thought that I may have cards actually worth something was a surprise, as Pokémon was still pretty unpopular amongst my social circle and the internet in general. I didn’t play Pokémon GO and hadn’t bought any cards or main series games for many years.

I still had very little understanding of what “rare cards” were and what made certain cards sought after. Nonetheless, I started watching more Youtube videos of people opening packs. I soon found Maxmoefoe and proceeded to binge his channel for several months. During the summer, I had a student job which would inevitably fund the first card purchases I had made in around 10 years. I went to Target (the best retailer for Pokémon imo) and browsed their selection. I don’t remember much, but I ended up buying a Charizard EX tin (since it reminded me so heavily of the Lv. X tins) and some Burning Shadows packs. Another purchase near this point was the Kanto Mini Tin set. I loved the design!

Hidden Fates was the first set that I actively looked for in stores. I remember driving in the rain to multiple Gamestops trying to score some tins. Black Friday 2019 was crazy. I remember seeing dozens of Hidden Fates tins for half price. At the time , I ended up buying about 10 tins, half of which were non Hidden Fates tins that I thought may have some cool packs inside. In hindsight, it wasn't the best decision. Had some very solid pulls from all the Hidden Fates I opened, but never did get the Zard... Here are some stuff that I pulled from my initial purchase of tins around Hidden Fates release. The Black Friday print seemed pretty low on the rates compared to the initial print, but who knows. I seem to remember pulling at least 2 hits per tin at release.

It was also around this time that I had the genius :brain: idea to go and buy as many McDonald’s toys to try and pull all the cards from the 2019 set. What could have been a simple $20 ebay purchase turned into a multi day scramble to hit up each Mcdonalds. I did end up getting every card, and still have all the duplicates. Looking back I cringe a little thinking of what it looked like to ask Mcdonalds employees if I could buy a dozen happy meal toys. Live and learn I guess… This was before the crazy hype of 2020/2021 and the infamous Mcdonalds 25th anniversary debacle. I think I’ll pass on future McDonalds sets and just buy the singles on tcgplayer. The last card I needed for the set was Alolan Meowth.

I spent most of the money I had made during the summer on Pokémon, and had pretty much run out by the end of the year. I started thinking a bit more about what I was actually buying. The Mcdonalds and Hidden Fates hype was so much fun, but now I was thinking back to my childhood cards and collecting goals at large.

Fast forward to late February/Early March 2020. I bought a few cards on trollandtoad. This was the first time I had ever bought singles. Looking back, I think I made some big moves :flushed:

The Aerodactyl was one ex era card I always wanted. I love the art style and I was so happy to find it for a reasonable price! I have a Pokémon guide from 2004 that has a bunch of high quality scans of cards that I would stare at for hours. On one of the pages lay that Aerodactyl. It’s neat to think that over 15 years later I would purchase it. The book prices are not that accurate now I’m afraid.

Add images

I made my first in store singles purchase around this time. I remember going to a local comic book store on Friday the 13th, the day that the world turned upside down in the US. Throughout the rest of 2020 I started watching more experienced collectors, namely TCA Gaming. It was through his videos that I learned more about grading, what “WOTC” was, set names and structures, the market, and many, many error cards. While the world was closed down, I binged Pokémon content. It was around Darkness Ablaze that I started paying more attention to the market and what upcoming sets would contain. I would preorder some of the new sets, buying singles every now and then from Tcgplayer. I spent a whole lot on Shining Fates and Celebrations, pulling most of the chase cards from each set.

I still consume lots of Pokémon content daily and have many goals that I am working towards, albeit with a bit of a pause until I get a nice job going :wink: I joined e4 in the last year or so, and have come to know a lot of the higher end collectors and many unique cards. I still am very much in tune with what goes on in the Pokémon world and devote too much time to it if I have to be honest. Still, the hobby brings me so much joy and has certainly made the last few years very special. I feel I got in to the hobby at just the right time. I’m really looking forward to the rest of this year’s releases. Scarlet and Violet look super promising. I hope the SCVI era has more surprises in store. I feel Sword and Shield has been the best era as far as modern is concerned. So many cool products, sets, and cards still to be enjoyed.

As far as goals go for this hobby, my main one is to simply have fun. One of my favorite parts of collecting is learning about new cards and revisiting old favorites. There is so much fun that can be had for under $100 and the wealth of free knowledge is insane. I hope to complete some Wotc sets in the future, purchase some alt arts, and buy as many ex-dpp cards as I can.

7 Likes

Watched the anime the first time it aired in the UK back in 1999(?) on Sky One. Then I got the game (Blue ver.) and a Game Boy Color for Christmas the same year. To be honest, I preferred the original games (had all three versions) over the TCG but the first product I got was the Overgrowth Theme Deck and I did the whole trading at school thing until everyone lost interest, although was into Yu-Gi-Oh for a while. Played the games here and there after that. Later moved to Japan to work and learn Japanese, and enjoyed the Pokémon Center collabs and merch, got back into collecting the TCG around Tag Bolt because I loved the Magikarp & Wailord GX cards and have enjoyed collecting since (mostly Japanese exclusive promos, sealed product and specific artist alt arts)

3 Likes

I made a post about this topic recently for myself!

7 Likes

Hey fellas, lovely thread.

My story is very similar to all of you. Long story short, I grew up loving Pokemon, but I fell out of it as I got older. In my adulthood, I began collecting more seriously. I was never really a collector as a kid. I just enjoyed the franchise and naturally began accruing video games, trading cards, and other merchandise. Although I had difficulty meeting new people in school, I have fond memories of making new friends because of our shared interest in Pokemon.

What strikes me from all of these stories is just how universal the Pokemon experience is. Most people had a honeymoon period in their childhood, but then let Pokemon fall by the wayside in their adolescent years, only to rekindle their love for it a few years later. Even if you didn’t start with Base Set, the fact remains that we are here now enjoying this experience together. I might be looking too deeply into it, but I really appreciate Pokemon’s ability to give people a common experience. We have people from different countries reminiscing about their journey in Pokemon, and everyone just sort of gets it. We probably didn’t grow up speaking the same language, but we all remember the joyful moments this franchise has given us.

Thank you all for the stories in this thread. Reading it has given me comfort in knowing this special thing I grew up with is special to others too.

6 Likes

I started my Pokemon journey back in 1999 when the tv show started airing in Finland. I was 7 years old back then. Of course I very much got into it and wanted cards. However for the most part my childhood cards were TOPPS cards. Those packs were cheaper and my mom never agreed to buy TCG packs unfortunately. I saw other kids having TCG cards. For one part I preferred TOPPS back then because the Pokemon itself was bigger on those cards :sweat_smile: But I also paid attention to the fact how TCG cards usually had a variable background etc.

As a kid my collecting was very slow due to the fact that I always had to ask for cards and often the answer was a no. Most of my cards were from TOPPS packs or stickers that I got from Pokemon bubble gum packs. Those stickers were card sized stickers so I treated those as cards as well. I had some random singles too that I had gotten from flea markets and stuff. However even then if a single card cost like 2 € my mom would say no to it because to her it was too much for cardboard lmao so I basically never got holos. Rip.

I basically don’t have any experience of opening English WOTC even though I grew up during the era. I don’t remember ever receiving a pack. And honestly, during the Neo and E-Series era I don’t even remember seeing Pokemon packs for sale around here at all. The Pokemon hype started dying down during the Johto era and even though I was still a big fan, I noticed other kids weren’t really into it anymore. But I personally never lost my love for Pokemon, kept watching the anime and kept wanting cards and Pokemon merchandise. Even though it wasn’t considered cool anymore I didn’t care.

Things started to change around the ex era. When Ex Emerald was a new set I saw some packs at a grocery store’s magazine section. I had some pocket money and when I saw those I had to buy a pack. Especially because there was pack artwork that included one of my favorite Pokemon, Rayquaza! Ex Emerald was literally the first actual TCG pack that I opened. I know it sounds insane knowing that I’ve been in the hobby since a kid. I instantly fell in love with the art and everything even though I don’t remember pulling anything special. I think this experience plays a huge part in why Ex Emerald is actually my favorite set of all the time. It’s the nostalgia for me but the set is also full of art that I love from Fukuda, Saitou, Nishida, Himeno and others. I kept buying Ex Emerald quite a lot and one time I ended up pulling a Raichu ex. It was my first ever ex pull and it felt so special with the silver borders. I wish silver borders were still around. Nothing really matches them imo.

Around the same time I found a Finnish Pokemon forum and started to be active over there. I had a lot of interaction there and did so much trading there as well. This is when my collecting started to get more serious as it was so much easier to get cards that I wanted trading with people on the internet. I think at one point I was one of the people who had most trades in the site. I really miss those times. Trading is basically almost non existent these days.

Basically I never stopped collecting and ex era is my favorite for the fact that gen 3 is my favorite generation but I also have lots of nostalgia that has connections to ex era. I also had friends at the time who liked Pokemon and I started to learn the rules of TCG as well.

But honestly I’ve only been able to buy my top favorite cards around like 2015 or so because being unemployed and / or studying really doesn’t leave you with much extra money to spend. Since then I’ve bought a lot of my favorite cards, got into graded cards and so on and my collection started growing massively. For the most part I collect Salamence, Flygon and Rayquaza cards (and my other favorites) plus anything that I like. I love Japanese cards and I always buy a box when a new set comes out. For English I also like to open some packs when a new set comes out. However I usually stay away from English boxes.

I started to hit a low point during the pandemic though. I never lost my love for Pokemon and I never stopped buying and collecting. However it slowed down a lot for me because of the crazy price increases and grading becoming much more difficult and expensive, especially for Europeans.

I also got some fatigue of sharing - I noticed few days ago that I haven’t posted anything to my Pokemon Instagram for over a year. Updating my collection thread also started to feel like a shore so I stopped it. Even if I don’t share as much like I used to, I haven’t stopped with the hobby. But unfortunately it has slowed down a lot. Prices have gone back to reasonable levels which makes me happy. But buying from Japan is extremely difficult atm - Japan Post doesn’t ship to Finland since the war started in Ucraine and I can basically only ship stuff from there with DHL or Fedex. And I can’t justify 20-30 € shipping for a few pieces of cardboard. And shipping from the US most sellers use GSP on eBay. I’ve always bought more stuff from Japan and US than Europe so the situation isn’t ideal right now :frowning: I’m trying to start getting into CardMarket more though as it’s Europe based.

But I’m also noticing that I “have to buy” less overall because when it comes to older cards I have almost everything that I actually want so that naturally lowers my need to buy cards as well.

10 Likes

Who remembers black and white tvs, colorless game boys, vhs tapes, walk man’s etc? It was rough growing up. O God or the big block tvs were so horrible and such a pain to move! When game boy color finally came out it felt like heaven!

1 Like

Like so many others I collected as a kid. I’ve always played the games (getting a silver game boy pocket and pokemon red one christmas is a highlight). My very first card was a sandshrew from base set that a friend gave me when he was over playing one time, I didn’t know there was a card game. I collected the cards for a few years but got rid of everything before highschool (age 14). Fast forward to 2018 and I stumbled upon a Maxmofoe youtube video of him just ripping packs and going insane. I watched him for a few days and said "ya know what, that looks like fun, I think i’ll buy pokemon cards for the first time in 15 years.

I ordered a bunch of EX promo boxes on amazon and took over the kitchen table to my wife’s dismay:

And its all been down hill from there

8 Likes

I started in 1999 and collected various TCGs up until about 2005 or so. I had a bit of Pokemon, quite a bit of MTG and also some Yu-Gi-Oh from that era. I would say Pokemon was more for fun whereas I actively played MTG for about 6 years or so. My uncle who was big into D&D and Magic introduced me and taught me how to play. He had a ton of cards from the early sets. I also had some hockey cards as well, mainly from the 80s and 90s that I got from various flea markets (which is also where I got a ton of MTG cards from).

Back in those days, no one really gave much thought into what they were selling at times. A lot of MTG bundles I used to buy at these markets for like $5 came with tons of great cards, many of which are still in my childhood collection and some are actually quite valuable years later now. Not all of it was bulk back then it seems, or at least not compared to today’s bulk cards.

I’m honestly not sure what happened to my Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I went through several boxes in the past couple years and found deck manuals, empty booster packs and empty theme deck boxes but almost no cards. The only thing I can think of is they may have been donated at some point, unfortunately. My older sister also had the entire WOTC promos and Base through Fossil completed and it too is gone, so I’ve been working on rebuilding it all the past while.

I loved the Pokemon games and have many memories of playing Blue and Gold and played them both for hours and hours between 1999 and 2001 or so. Of course like many others, I grew out of it pretty early on but really learned to appreciate it as I’ve gotten back into collecting the old cards. It’s also interesting that I didn’t even know about some of the WOTC sets like the Gym sets and later Neo sets until I returned to collecting Pokemon. Somehow I missed them along the way, but I really enjoy collecting them now also.

The good news is, what knowledge I had as a child/teenager has carried over into my adult collecting years and I remembered literally all the cards from back then. So with around 23 years into this, I plan to do it as long as I can from here. Despite the dreadful moments of the past couple years, I really have remained optimistic seeing Pokemon and all the other things from my childhood come roaring back like it was back then. It’s been really beautiful to see it all play out like it has, even if the old cards have gotten so expensive. It’s almost been like 1999 all over again, except now the playground is online.

4 Likes

This is a poignant note. In many ways, it seems that the “popular kids” are those with the most money to spend on their collection. This is one reason why I prefer e4 to Instagram or other platforms. The collectors here appear to appreciate their cards far beyond the monetary value.

4 Likes

Totally agree with you. It’s brought in the best and worst of people at times for sure and also some drama at times these past few years. I definitely really enjoy my time here compared to anywhere else in regard to Pokemon discussion and collecting as well. The advice is always good and people genuinely enjoy discussing things and just having a good time for the most part. It has the perfect mix of financial & collecting discussion without going too far in either one, as well as many other enjoyable topics.

I own quite a few high-end cards myself, but funny enough I’ve actually enjoyed building my old binder sets with raw cards way more (or cracking out slabs). I appreciate all of my collection a lot, but I definitely enjoy just straight collecting more than ‘investing’ in the hobby as I build my collection up.

6 Likes

Wow! Lots of stories about thieving movers have come up over the years… BUT You nailed that ROI at the peak, so PROPS! I wish I’d sold more of my WotC stuff a few years ago, but HEY, NBD, i’ll already have it the next time we see a spike. =) I’m also glad that you’ve found the hobby so rewarding once again, and enjoyed the care that artists and designers have put into it.
As for me…

TL;DR

All in all, I’ve been in the hobby since 1999-2002, then from 2006-now, and around eBay for 15 years. What kept me coming back was the art and nostalgia.

I started in 1999. A Japanese friend in a show I was doing gave me some cards - City gym decks, Tamamuchi, Yamabuki, etc, and a few rocket packs. I loved those cards, and bought some more, but rarely had money for it. (Also people thought I was weird because I had Japanese cards instead of English. :smirk:)

As time went on, yugioh drew my attention because that’s what everyone was playing. I went to a few tourneys, the 2004 would championships (spectator) but because I was young and innocent, I let my deck out of my site, and someone jacked it. Thankfully, it wasn’t expensive, but that was the end of my yugioh interest for the most part.

I grew away from TCG mostly, but I never truly let go of Pokemon. I would look up cards on Pojo from time to time and buy a pack at Target. (Always felt like I couldn’t let anyone see me do it. :laughing:)

Then, I saw an ‘old’ set list for ex Dragon one day and was amazed where the art had gone. I decided to pick up the hobby again, even though I couldn’t afford much as a professional performer. I did however, save up for a skyridge box around that time. :sunglasses: I wanted to complete the set, but to this day, I haven’t quite… a few holos missing… Anyway, that’s when I started selling too, to get some money back from that skyridge box, but I’ve never been a big seller. So, all in all, I’ve been in the hobby since 1999-2002, then from 2006-now, and around eBay for 15 years.

2 Likes