"Pokemon Card 151" Set - General Discussion

These are giving me vending series vibes, Fearow especially.

1 Like

@explorer Gemi’s work is indeed captivatingly cinematic, they’re only starting out for tcg this year but have already proven themselves early on

2021 Illustration Magazine Suicune Concept

Their twitter,
https://twitter.com/gemi333?s=21&t=93Bi2PxFezQ0Zhtkf5hgSQ

11 Likes

That makes me wish we got that Suicune. That is such amazing artwork. Closest I’ve ever felt to wanting to collect all the cards by an artist.

1 Like

The one thing to note, is the ETB promo for Obsidian Flames is a Charmander, and its move set is different than the Charmander currently shown in 151. Not sure if they are grabbing that from 151 or is that Ruler of the Black Flame which is the tera Charizard set. Possible that there could be two Charmander ARs, but would seem odd with it being in two consecutive Japanese set.

Terastal Pokémon ex need to evolve just as if it were a holo rare, so yeah it’s possible for 2 Charmander cards (and therefore 2 different AR) even if they are in consecutive releases. As English SV3.5 is a special set, I don’t think there’s any shuffling of AR/SAR/UR cards between special sets and regular sets (Obsidian Flames), just as there won’t be between subset expansion SV2a Pokémon 151 and core expansion SV3 Ruler of the Black Flame

Tomokazu Komiya’s art style is better, in my opinion, than these anime cartoony styles I’ve been bombarded with in these full alt whatever cards.

I feel like they just hired a few who can do anime cartoony style because it’s a common style practice. Don’t know, but if I see another Ditto or Hypno or a Pokémon I don’t know making sushi, looking up their SAT scores or gardening with a character who looks like Naruto I’m gonna lose my shit.

3 Likes

happy to see two of my favorite Pokemon Koffing and Weezing done by one of my favorite artists, Shibuzoh. Exciting stuff

2 Likes

Really hoping these boxes are available at a decent price, don’t open much modern product outwith the high class boxes but this set looks fantastic

1 Like

Those cards are sick. Need those

illus. kawayoo

from earlier

12 Likes

This should go in the unpopular opinions thread.

Stick to vintage and save yourself the high blood pressure.

5 Likes

Now we’re talking! Finally a Ninetales special art variant that isn’t 3D rendered garbage.

3 Likes

Evo lines with one artist are fire…

1 Like

I really like the gaslty and haunter but damn… im not enjoying the gengar. Googly eyed bastard looks like he swinging his fist at kids to get off his lawn :joy:

One of the great tragedies in Pokemon has always been that Haunter evolves into something way less cool.

7 Likes

ok ok now hol up

1 Like

Thats bold strategy, lets see if it pays off.

2 Likes

1 Like

Genuinely cannot say that I thought that would be a controversial take.

1 Like

I think it’s time for a poll. I would have considered that an unpopular opinion but am questioning myself now

2 Likes