Poke newb, did i buy a fake card?

Hi All,

I’m new to collecting pokemon. I’ve been interested in collecting Japanese cards and recently found a seller on eBay who I bought two cards from, both were pretty cheap, but for some reason, they feel a bit strange to me and i can’t tell if i’m gaslighting myself or if there is an issue with the cards. I haven’t touched pokemon cards in the last 25 years or so, so I’m not sure what to look for. They feel very thin and a bit glossy, and i think the glossy nature of them is what is making me think they are fake, because i remember that being an issue when i was a kid. Anyway, i’m sorry if this is a common/annoying type of post from newbs returning to the hobby, but i would appreciate any feedback. Here are images of the card I find suspect.

Thank you for your time with this!

3 Likes

If your sensory memory is with US cards, “thin and glossy” definitely describes Japanese cards in comparison. They are indeed on a thinner paper with a shinier finish. This is no cause for alarm!

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to collecting! :slight_smile: :wave: Not a dumb question!

The card doesn’t look fake to me. Like stagecoach said, vintage Japanese cards were printed on thinner card stock compared to middle era and modern cards you see being made now, so it’s normal for it to feel relatively thin.

1 Like

I remember feeling the same way with my first Japanese cards. Welcome to collecting Japanese cards.

2 Likes

Okay sounds great, thank you all for your responses! This makes me more confident in these purchases. I’m enjoying the Japanese cards, and especially their affordability, hehe.

1 Like

there should be three layers of material on the card. look at the edge and see if you can see a black layer sandwiched between two white layers. (it is extremely thin and hard to see unless you look really close)

generally tho, a lot of these oldback cards are not worth the trouble to fake. i have definitely seen fakes of regular common wotc cards, but not old back. i’m sure it has been done, but isn’t something i have come across.

1 Like