HELP!?! FAKE or NOT?

Heya all,

I just purchased the two CoroCoro grey star promos Pikachu and Jigglypuff from an eBay seller and upon inspection (I knew the condition weren’t mint) found that the colouring on the back of these cards looks a little off, not just compared to other regular cards but also another CoroCoro grey star Jigglypuff I have.

I’ll include some pictures under.

Can anyone lend me their advice or thoughts about if they think these are fake or not so I can strike whilst the iron is hot if they are!!!

Thanks in advance

Nick

Attachment DeletedAttachment Deleted

The first pic is the two jigglypuffs. The left is my original and the right the new one from the seller

The second pic is an original black star pikachu then the new grey star both laid on top of the two cards in the first picture!
so the cards are laid in order old / new / old / new
pikachu / jigglypuff
I hope this makes sense and that you guys can see the colour difference I see, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again

I see the color difference but I don’t think that alone makes it fake. The borders look legit and that seems to be the big giveaway with most fakes. The detail is all there too so I would bet on them being real. I am not an expert at all tho so hopefully someone with more experience can help you out.

Edit: the longer I stare at the borders the more I question them but fake borders are usually pretty obvious so if they are fake then they’re really good fakes. Anything else on the front that looks off?

The front looks really good to be honest I really can’t see much difference if any!

It’s the back that really stands out especially as I can’t see any other cards with this colour alteration.

Attachment DeletedAttachment Deleted
new (fake?) on the left original on the right for both pics

I am definitely not an expert on this but I think they’re fake. I would return them if you can (better safe than sorry).

It definitely looks like I’m gonna have to get a refund.

Has anyone bought through ‘thecardcollector-uk’ on eBay?

Might be a genuine error but be nice to see if anyone has had previous with this seller?

Cheers

Nick

I’ve got cards with slight color variations tho not as distinct as these. Wasn’t this card printed on japanese card stock or something like that? Could that maybe account for the colors? The blueness of it reminds me of the backs of older japanese cards. Like I said i’m not an expert but these look too good to be fake in my opinion. If they feel right and the only difference is the slight color change i’d wouldn’t jump the gun on calling them fake.

Going to go with legit. Looks fine by my book. Easiest tell is to feel the card itself though, which obviously can’t be accomplished through photos. Colors can vary based on ink levels. This seems like a reasonable amount of variation.

Did you try holding it against some light? (Possibly a LED from your phone)
I’m not sure how fakes hold up nowadays but I spotted some pretty obvious fakes with that method.

I thought I read somewhere that these are printed on japanese card stock tho so wouldn’t it be normal for a little light to shine thru?

That’s a great shout! It does look like the same card stock as the other jigglypuff!!!

Defo looking a lot better with that info. The look and feel is really good, it really was just that colour variation that made me have some doubt.

On a side note, just to make sure my facts are straight, these are the first two pokemon cards released in English right? :blush:

Not too sure about that one. Bulbapedia says base set was released january of 1999 and that your version of this card was released in a magazine in march/april of that same year.

To be honest thecardcollectoruk wouldn’t sell fake cards, they are a reputable seller and they deal with a lot of cards so would be able to tell right away. These are very early promos and if they are printed by wizards then you only have to look at the Base set to see that the printing wasn’t all to consistent for them back in those days.

3 Likes

Agreed with woolsuk here. That seller is incredibly reputable. If anything, I would contact the seller himself and raise your concern. He’s pretty good at communication with his items.

1 Like

I’ve got plenty of cards with ink colour variations, if thats your only concern then its all good.

Cheers guys, this has definitely eased my mind