Pikachu On the Ball - Scarce or Overhyped?

The average sale price of Pikachu on the Ball is hovering around $800-900 right now on eBay. When the card was first sold online, it was going for roughly $2,000 and has been steadily falling in price since then. Officially, it seems like the entire supply of the cards has already been released, which would make it seem like now is the time to buy at its lowest. I’m afraid there’s like a hidden warehouse of this card or something that hasn’t been distributed yet, though. $800 for a new modern card seems inordinately expensive, even if it is a limited-release promo. I’m considering picking the card up because I think this might be as low as it goes. I’m afraid I’m just fueled by FOMO right now, though. Thoughts?

Keep tracking the price closely. If you see the trend continue to go down, wait. If you see it level off or start to rise slightly, jump on it. Also see what they auction for, that is a more accurate market price. It’s hard to tell if very few buy it now listings come and go.

If the market were to crash (Pokémon and the global economy), and that card is now $200, are you still ok with the $800 you paid? If yes, then it doesn’t matter what you buy it for if the current market for that card is stable.

1 Like

Do you like Pikachu? Can you afford the card?

If yes, I’d pull the trigger tbh. Pros are its a UK exclusive so Pikachu collectors all around the world will need it for their collections, and all supply is probably released by now. Con is like you say: supply. Its unclear how many exist and unknown how many will be kept in good condition over the years (likely a lot).

Don’t try and time the market. If it goes up and you have to buy at a higher price, that margin will come out of your pocket. If you buy now and it goes down, that margin will have already come out of your pocket. It’s all about what you can stomach to lose.

if you’re trying to flip the card however…don’t.

1 Like

Yes

4 Likes

Just a reminder to post general market-related questions in the Giant Market Thread: www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-english-market-thread/27424/1