Is this a bad time to get mario/poncho pikachu?

We’ve all seen the japanse cards take off the past few months. Ive been looking to slowly collect some of the mario/poncho cards but havent pulled the trigger yet due to such fast violatile movements.

As someone who doesnt own any of the bigger ticket modern japanese do you think i shoud wait a bit? (Eyeing mario/luigi pika the most). Ive learned from stocks that its typically not a good idea to get in when the rides alrdy headed up haha. But of course theres the human element of fomo

Give it a few months to cool off at the very least. I know that FOMO is powerful, but there have already been sales in the low $6,000s and high $5,000s this month. That’s over $2,000 off its high.

6 Likes

If you are interested I have a mario PSA 10 set available that I graded for a relative.

2 Likes

Apprecite you reaching out! Im definitely interested but just still deciding when to pull the trigger / let prices stabilize a bit more. But yeah ill shoot ya a msg

Sheesh that chart pretty much says it all haha. Yeah i think youre right. Give it some time to breathe for a bit

1 Like

Buy it if it makes you happy now,

Amazing card art. Maybe pfm has a set he can help you out with.

Either way, good luck.

Not too much fun to buy it when it’s boring though, why even bother

If you buy now, you are buying at the top of the fomo…imo wait a few months.

Unless you dont care about an item losing value as you just love it.

But no one has a crystal ball, still waiting on the Moonbreon crash haha.

3 Likes

Yeah history typically repreats itself haha. Buying during the pump/rally can bite you just as fast as it ascends. Thanks for the logical advice! Im gonna take my time

I don’t think Mario piakchu is being “pumped” that much. If people are referencing the recent uptick with Japanese cards, that’s already done. I sold a psa 10 mimikyu scream during the peak for about double what it’s earning now.

Mario Pikachu has been for years, “where is the cheaper option”. I’m not saying this to persuade anyone’s decision, do whatever you want. I’m just emphasizing how it’s always been a god tier card regardless of market conditions.

9 Likes

They aren’t making promos like munch or Mario pikas anymore, id just accept the fact you messed up not buying them earlier an pay the price, they will be worth more in the long run anyway i think.

2 Likes

Yup exactly, this goes with many cards. I remember looking at the Team Rocket 20th Anniversary case and it went up in price to roughly 1-3k and I kept debating on buying it because I really needed it in my collection. Anyways, I waited, look where we are at now lol,

2 Likes

I remember seeing the rocket case that cheap too feelsbadman, I think it wont be long before battle festa pikas pick up not insanely high pop compared to most popular cards, just my opinion though

2 Likes

Mario Pikachu FA will be a very, very valuable card in the future.

1 Like

I remember being on the verge of buying the rocket cards already graded as 10s for $600 total and I passed it up. Don’t even remember why :upside_down_face:

I am a proud owner of the Mario pikas and scream cards though and I don’t plan on letting those go anytime soon because once they’re gone I’ll never get them back.

7 Likes

These promos, more so than the scream promos, are relatively “scarce” they barely hit 1500 graded copies each and the card is already 7 years old.

I would say just get it wherever/whenever you find a good deal since even on open market is kinda hard to find them.

4 Likes

Mario/Luigi pikachu cards are one of the more iconic modern promos in my opinion. I think prices will hold well.

These promos have the perfect mix of

• some sort of rarity
  • high demand
  • unique crossover traits
  • relatively affordable compared to super high end cards

I would get them soon if you like the set.

5 Likes

???

They sell every single week on eBay and PWCC. I don’t think they’re particularly hard to find, but they are highly in demand. No doubt about that.

4 Likes

Yup same here, my entire vault is all the Japanese Pikachu promos of 2014-2019. Its crazy, it felt like just yesterday :cry:

These cards along with most of the Japanese-exclusive promos from pre-2019 are no longer available at most card shops in Japan. The few straggling copies are usually beat-up; or if they are NM, the shops usually price them close to PSA 10 sold listings.

Once the hype dies down for overpriced set cards (ergo, cards that the average consumer has) i believe the next logical progression for the new-er collector would be towards the more exclusive promos (ergo, cards that not everyone can have).

Buy if you’re happy with the prices, and move on. No point constantly trying to catch the bottom or the top, seems like a really stressful way to live.

5 Likes

I’d wait a few months before pulling the trigger.

2 Likes