People wearing gloves when handling their cards?

Every now and then I’ll come across a post on ebay where the seller is holding their $200 LP condition card while wearing a pair of those giant rubber dishwashing gloves and it always comes across as odd to me. As long as you’ve washed your hands before handling wouldn’t barehanded and holding gently between the edges be the preferred method of handling? Rubber/latex gloves seems like they could potentially cause issues with friction. Textile gloves like they use when handling watches could work but I’ve never seen anyone in the hobby wear them.

2 Likes

Thinking of buying myself some white gloves for the fun of it.

As long as your hands and fingers are clean it’s no issue. The amount of dirt I see on people’s hands and fingers on eBay pics is horrifying and puts me off bidding.

Just wash your hands before handling cards, ez pz. I mean, there’s nothing wrong with gloves, but it isn’t necessary

Never used gloves personally.

People should check their fingers and nails before handling their cards though. As a drummer, I have thick calluses on most of my fingers, and if i get a crack or peak in one of them, that skin is hard as a rock. Could easily chip a card, I’ve scratched myself several times. The same with people who pick the skin/nails on their fingers too. People with rough hands in general.

And dirt under the nails. You never know when that shit is going to come loose.

1 Like

Possibly trying to stay safe because of COVID-19?

Gloves are dumb in my opinion unless ur handling museum type pieces

1 Like

Corona free home premium incoming. +10% on the price.

2 Likes

Sounds like a computer anti-virus lol

1 Like

What if you just can’t stop eating that chocolate cake with your hands but want to simultaneously hold your pokemon treasures? Sometimes you have to be solution oriented.

5 Likes

I’ve seen people wearing those white cloth gloves before and I thought it was cool

If the seller is going to that much trouble handling the card I sorta assume it will be packed with care.

Gloves, aprons, facemasks, even a hazmat suit: protect your cards!

What always makes me laugh is when their wearing gloves whilst holding a very heavy-played card :grin:

Washed hands and knowledge of handling > any rubber crap

1 Like

Haha…

If we can go to the bathroom while using our phones at the same time (vise versa) , then damn it!! We shall hold our cards and cake together!!!

1 Like

Problem with them as well is that you can’t actually “feel the card.” Like literally lol

I don’t care for it and find it kind of funny when I see people wear gloves but it’s their choice and I could see why they do it. Maybe if I had baseball mitts for hands or hands of a gorilla and need to conceal them?
Here takes some tips from George, these hands can touch Pokemon cards:www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZxX3-rJoNI

1 Like

I’ve tried using medical gloves while handling cards and I can’t get them out of the sleeve lol

1 Like

And then he drops the cards in the pool. no doubt.

1 Like

Heads up I have heard that wearing the fabric type gloves can actually catch on edges/corners and chip cards. Washed hands is all you need.

2 Likes

This is why I love this fourm

There has not been a day I’ve been on here that I didn’t learn something

I have thought about gloves as I have very oil skin and my hands can sweat easily from nervous or excited nerves even after washing hands. It can effect the penny sleeves in top loaders if I handle it to much, it wont slide down and gets stuck at the top. Maybe they can have the same problem as me. I try to be extra careful

I had asked something similar and got the similar responses, I think the white cotton gloves is for sports cards since the ones you are usually sending in to get graded are “full arts” or chrome and different color refractors and parallels etc. So fingerprints are HIGHLY visible on the cards and wiping your cards down before sleeving and putting into card savers for a submission is highly recommended…

Seems for Pokémon it’s less of a concern. I asked something similar last week and I was surprised at how extreeeemely casual many “power” collectors / used to big subs just said they don’t even clean the cards it’s straight into a sleeve and card saver and that’s it.