Paypal Updates

www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT USER AGREEMENT

We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before May 7, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement

**We’re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of $0.99 and a maximum of $4.99 per transaction. We’re also removing any variation depending on the recipient’s country.

We are changing the currency conversion spread to 3.25% over a base exchange rate in situations where you are a sender of money in a PayPal transaction.

We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.**

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL USER AGREEMENT AND THE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS DELIVERY POLICY

We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement and the Electronic Communications Delivery Policy. These changes will go into effect on March 29, 2019 and apply to U.S. PayPal customers. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before March 29, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

***That was 4 days ago and I am now just being notified?

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement for Personal PayPal Accounts

As a result of a new regulation issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Washington, D.C. coming into effect on April 1, 2019, we are making some changes that will affect consumers who want to hold and use balance with PayPal.

If you want to hold and use balance, you will need a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account. PayPal will offer two balance accounts: PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus. Information about both types of balance accounts can be found in the PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus Terms and Conditions.

If you are an existing personal PayPal account holder and we have already verified your identity, we will establish and automatically link a PayPal Cash Plus account to your current PayPal account. Information about your PayPal Cash Plus account, including your balance amount, will be easily available using your existing PayPal login.

For all other consumer PayPal account holders, if you want to hold and use balance, in addition to verifying your identity with PayPal, you will need set up a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account.

There are no changes to any PayPal fees.

We are also making two other changes: (1) we are changing the time period for providing you with advance notice about important changes to the PayPal Account User Agreement to at least 21 days; and (2) we are clarifying how and when we convert currency.

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement for Business Accounts

We are changing the time period for providing you with notice about important changes to the PayPal Account User Agreements to at least 5 days.

We are clarifying how and when we convert currency.

Amendments to the Electronic Communications Delivery Policy

We are updating our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy to clarify that your consent to receive electronic disclosures under our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy applies to all PayPal branded accounts

2 Likes

That refund change is awful.

5 Likes

I plan to call them and makes sure I understand it correctly. It just seems like a joke that they would not refund the fees. Paypal already opens unauthorized cases on their own.

2 Likes

‘‘but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.’’… is this for real? Come on paypal…

1 Like

Them not refunding the 30 cents was bad enough. Now they won’t refund any of it? Having to refund a few morons a week at 30 cents (plus time) loss each was annoying, but now getting dinged for the full 2.9% + 30 cents is going to really add up if that is the case.

3 Likes

Lol just be thankful your not in Japan or overseas and have to pay PayPal’s currency conversion rates. Haha

I think my eBay and PayPal fees are 16.2% of every sale after USD is converted to yen to the bank.

But PayPal has always been bad :s dam elon musk!

6 Likes

A…April… fools?

8 Likes

Genuinely this will push me to use WorldPay and implement other Payment Gateways on everything I receive any income from,

That refund policy is actually just unacceptable.

4 Likes

PayPal’s future looks grim

1 Like

Hellloooooo gpay

They switched Canada’s not too long ago to mirror this, if not it is a little worse… :confused:
Time to use bitcoin lol

I average like 2 “moron” refunds a week on ebay…dear God lol. Are there any options besides PayPal for receiving payments on ebay? I’m pretty sure I know the answer to that question but have never looked into it

2 Likes

I really wish ebay would handle transactions internally. I would use Ebay if it weren’t for how awful PayPal is to sellers. I won a case through Ebay involving $600 and the buyer was able to turn around and file a 2nd claim through PayPal where I was not notified and after 10 days they automatically sided with the buyer. When I raised hell about it I was told they couldn’t do anything because I didn’t respond to the claim to begin with and the reason that I wasn’t notified was that “the email most likely went to my spam folder.”

PayPal is a joke and either they will get their act together or Ebay will turn into Amazon. For now, I’ll stick to selling on here and Mercari.

1 Like

eBay used to own Paypal and if I recall it went pretty smoothly.

2 Likes

Yeah, it used to go very smoothly from my memory. I remember helping my dad sell ATV parts and selling some yugioh singles myself back around 2005. If I remember right they didn’t charge you a final percentage of the transaction. They charged you per listing and charged extra for things like reserves and additional pictures.

3 Likes

Back when eBay owned PayPal it all was indeed smoother. Cannot say if it was better.

This change of PayPal probably also has to do with eBays transition to Adyen which probably will allow you more then just a PayPal payment (confirmed has been Google Store and Apple Pay to handle payments). The new rates and terms though, just awful.

paypal sucks cock.

There was always a final value fee charge, but you are correct that there was even more fees back then related to listing lol

Out of curiosity, and to see just how awful this update really is I ran some numbers. I had everything compiled for taxes anyways and it was just a matter of getting the number I had already calculated and then doing a count on the number of transactions refunded.

$8,096.75 in refunds in 2018 across 99 transactions. That did amount to $29.7 in lost fees due to the 30 cents not coming back in the past, which is easy to take as a cost of doing business, however under the new rules that will amount to $264.51 which is harder to stomach.

Especially since the bulk of it was in 3 separate $1,000+ transactions where one buyer returned a card that they didn’t agree with the PSA 10 grade, and two others simply changed their mind after winning and paying. Just getting dinged for $30-$50 each of those times for no reason sucks.

This was an atypically high year for refunds, but these proposed rules allow people to ding you for 2.9% + $0.30 with no cost to them and some could even do it maliciously.

10 Likes

I know some people like to list expensive cards from their collection well over market value to bring in more views on their other listings. Is there anything in place to prevent some rich wiener from coming along and really fucking some of these people over?