Paypal Updates

Nope.

But how would it go down? You have to have the money leave your account first. Transfer $100k to someone, “sorry my son accidentally bought and paid for the item plz cancel” then push for a refund to screw someone out of a couple thousand? There’s a lot of risk and really nothing to gain by doing this.

Yeah, I know it’ll probably never happen lol. It was just something that came to mind.

Whatever it takes to get some high ends cards that really aren’t for sale, just showing off cleared off of eBay.

The issue won’t come in huge amounts but in a couple of dollars here and there that will add up substantially over time. PayPal keeping the 0.30 was totally understandable. At the end of the day you still used their services to make a transaction and it wasn’t a big deal. This is PayPal saying “from now on, whenever a buyer requests a return we’re pocketing 2.9% because… we can…” it’s completely unnecessary and a cash grab.

If anything they should put that responsibility on the buyer. The same way I wouldn’t expect a seller to pay for my return shipping if I decided I didn’t want an item. The buyer is the one who is protected under PayPal when making a purchase, so why is the seller charged? To me, it is absolutely ludicrous.

7 Likes

@pkmnflyingmaster a lot of people have super high credit card limits. You don’t need to actually have the money to F people over.

I could literally go now and buy a few $10,000 listings and pay. Then immediately say oopsie woopsie send me a refund my kid bought it. The sellers would either have to refund me or take further risk of shipping me the item wherein they know I could immediately “win” a return case thereby making them eat shipping costs both ways on top of the $290.30 paypal feel they already lost. Within a few days the money would be back off my credit card balance and I could rinse and repeat.

I don’t buy it. You’d be risking multiple thousands of dollars and your credit rating for a $300 donation to Elon Musk? High risk, zero reward.
The real issue people should be worried about is the example you gave earlier. $1000ish transactions, buyer decides they don’t want the card anymore because the PSA case has a few of those square blotches. That is a situation that has happened and will continue to happen.

I mean,

I think we’ve had a lot of scam issues recently where it was shockingly illogical how far the scammer went just to be an ass.

Bigger issue, smaller issue, time will tell. But it’s absolutely giving a match to convicted arsonists. And I’m unhappy on all fronts.

4 Likes

@gottaketchumall, Happy Birthday Dan!

I think it is very difficult to articulate the reality of bad buyers. Most transactions are completely fine. However, I’ve had someones proverbial “kid” buy anything from $1 to $100,000. I remember refunding a $90,000 purchase because of someone’s “kid”. They bought it, checked out, sent the full 90k, you know just typically kid stuff… Thankfully paypal didn’t have this draconian rule.

Sure the “my kid accidentally bought this item” isn’t the norm, but it does happen. In those unlikely but real scenarios, this new rule(s) is absolutely ridiculous.

2 Likes

Thanks @smpratte.

Yeah I mean as I mentioned above my entire liability in 2018 was $29.70 but would have been about $265 under the new rules which sucks. But @pkmnflyingmaster someone could easily make me feel that years worth of theoretical pain in one single transaction under these new rules. There really is very little risk at all in buying and paying for a $10k item on eBay. High reward for scumbags too who just like to inflict pain. They just immediately say it was a mistake and you want to cancel the transaction right after paying and you 100% will get eBay to side with you. Even someone not being a bad actor but genuinely deciding to revert a transaction after payment will now cost me a lot of money. Scott detailed a $90k transaction which would have cost him $2,610.30 alone. Simply selling a PSA 9 base 1st zard will now carry a $150 risk if the buyer doesn’t like the case or the grade.

I really just can’t find any silver lining to this at all. A 30 cent per transaction cost of doing business just rose to ~3%. As Charlie mentioned arsonists have been given their blowtorches and can of gasoline. Hopefully our Loop-y friend Dustin is actually going to feel some pain from his past actions given the ongoing investigation otherwise this will be his new playground. He isn’t unique in his insanity either. I’ve got a 400 member long eBay block list of problems and will seriously need to consider starting a blocked member list swap group to expand that 10x over.

3 Likes

What I found out is that if its a simple someone buys your item by accident and you have to refund or someone buys your item and you need to refund them because address is incorrect or whatever it is then PayPal is now going to have an option that if something like that happens you can put in some kind of case or complaint for your fee back to you. However if you ship the item out and someone wants to just straight up return the item then you will not have the option to be able to file this case and get your fee back. Basically if its a quick refund cause of a mistake you now have to do EXTRA work to get your fee back. If its shipped out and then you have to take a return your screwed. Seriously can’t believe how much worse its getting to run an online business in the last year. First Ebay starts charging sales tax on purchases and now this with PayPal? Its ridiculous.

2 Likes

Do you think it would be reasonable on ebay if you stated in your listings something like, “In the case of a refund due to unforeseen circumstances by the buyer, the buyer will forfeit 3% of the total amount refunded.” I wonder if ebay would allow sellers to actually do this. I feel like this could possibly help avoid buyers from just trying to screw around with people or from their “kids” constantly buying stuff on their ebay. Something along those lines may be a good idea

Ebay would absolutely not allow that lol

1 Like
  1. They’d leave you a negative feedback because why should they have to pay for their incompetence and
  2. AFAIK you only qualify for a refund of your ~10% final value fee from eBay if you refund the entire purchase price. A partial refund for 99% of the item price I don’t think allows you to recover any of your FVF back.

@chris350dx that is great news if there is some sort of new “case” feature wherein you can reclaim fees. I’m sure they are banking on a lot of people not following through the case for super small amounts so overall they will probably see a large increase in their revenue from refunds, but it helps out sellers to remove the big sting of large transactions. I was having a hard time believing the update could truly be this awful and I figured that if it wasn’t already designed that something would eventually have to follow along these lines.

1 Like

Just wanted to share some updates and a personal experience from the new policy.

Paypal started keeping seller fees from refunds on October 11th of this year. They were originally slated to start last May but did not. One of my customers accidentally sent me a payment of $4,000 twice the other day. The fees on one of those transactions is $116. To fully refund the customer I have to take a $116 hit because Paypal is not refunding fees anymore. Paypal is set to stay as Ebays primary payment processor until mid 2020 and by 2021 be replaced with Adyen.

Paypal doesnt want to go without a quick money grab flex…cool.

2 Likes

Yup. I’ve noticed this, as well (although it started for me earlier than October; probably in May).

The best part is that when pressed on the issue by obviously peeved sellers, they basically said “if you don’t like it, use another platform.”

Outstanding service.