Pack weights.

Hi E4, can I have some help on these booster pack weights. I’ve never weighed a pack before but I had some sets that I wanted to open for fun and either sell lights as light or grade them. I bought a precision scale and used my mum’s kitchen scale as comparison. I presume the two above 21g are heavies and rest are light though would like to know if possible, thanks!

imgur.com/a/W0irhi3

Do you know if they’re from the same box (for each set)?

All packs came from same boxes. The base venasaur and zard were from one and second venasaur and blastoise from another box

I don’t know the weights but I understand different boxes produce different weights.
Secondly, if your buying single packs and don’t know as a fact they weren’t weighed, they’re weighed. Someone else said there’d have to be about a 40 difference to be heavy?

I’d say all the packs pictured are probably light,

RIP hopes and dreams of all newcomers who bought some vintage “unweighed” packs hahaha. I think we have all been there though. From even reputable sources like trollandtoad I have never once gotten a heavy pack

1 Like

Yeah. That’s a shame

1 Like

There is some variance from box to box. I weigh my packs to find 1 light pack, for pack collection.

In my experience, anything comfortably over 21 grams usually has a holo. The 21.01 to 21.1 range has produced some non holos for me. I should state that these weights are only for short crimped packs.

Weights to determine if a pack contains a holo or not are all over the place if they all come from different sources. Usually anything above 21.2g is a safe bet. However, a few months ago I bought over 20 unweighed 1st edition packs off of ebay and decided to weigh them all to see if they were really unweighed. To may suprise everything weighed 21.1g - 21.4g grams so I thought I’d hit the jackpot. But when things are to good to be true it usually is. I decided to open up a pack weighing about 21.25g and ended up pulling a non holo but the few I opened above 21.3g did have holos. There were even times when I opened up two packs weighing 20.95g and 21.00g and both holos and I know some heavy packs can weigh as little as 20.8Xg.

1 Like

To be safe you should always look for something weighing over 21.12 in base set packs. I have opened about 50 in the last decade and there is always a holo in it. Although rarely there wont be. 21.06 - 21.10 is a risky range but there are holos in that range as well. Anything below that range is suspect. As for Team Rocket booster packs the weight is different. At 21.15 and below there is never a holo in it at least in my experience of opening more that 80 of these packs. My scales are very precise to the dot. For base its that 21.12 and up to be safe, for rocket its 21.27 and up is a safe bet for a holo even though sometimes you can get a holo less than that its rare in all my experience. It also all depends on your scale, always have a 100g weight to make sure its on point.