Booster pack weight (WOTC/EX) When is is heavy or light?

Hi guys,

i decided to weigh some of my vintage booster packs today.

I was wondering, which packs would you guys classify as heavy and light?

I understand by disclosing the weight people can decide on the value themselves, but I’m curious where people here would draw the line.

base zard 1 20.81

base zard 2 20.83

base blastoise 20.81

base venusaur 20.79

Fossil Lapras 20.66

Fossil Zapdos 20.84

Fossil Aerodactyl 20.85

Jungle Wigglytuff 20.59

Jungle Flareon 20.68

Jungle Scyther 20.56

Rocket long pack 20.89

Gym challenge giovanni 20.70

Neo xatu 20.69

Neo Umbreon 20.78

Rocket 1st edition 21.00

Fossil 1st edition 20.84

Jungle 1st edition 20.90

EX FRLG 17.60

Ex Legend Makers banet 17.44

Ex Legend makers Mew 17.29

Ex Legend Makers Arcanine 17.23

Ex Legend Makers Aerodactyl 17.24

Ex Holon Phantoms Zangoose 17.00

Ex Holon Phantoms Kabutops 16.97

Ex Power keepers Aggron 17.32

Ex Hidden Legends Regice 17.37

Ex Crystal Guardians Jirachi 15.59

Ex Crystal Guardians Delcatty 16.30

Ex Delta Species Flareon 17.44

Ex Delta Species Metagross 17.34

Thanks!

Palamec1a

we’ve got a spreadsheet for this info under articles

3 Likes

That’s great!

Do you have a link for me?

Its on this forum under articles topic

@palamec1a, here is the spreadsheet if you haven’t found it.

2 Likes

Your WotC packs are very light weight except for maybe the Jungle pack and the Team Rocket pack. But neither of those are heavy enough to say for sure – you would need to compare them with packs from the same box. Besides those two, your other packs are all likely to be light. There’s a very small chance that some packs in the 20.8g to 20.99g range will be heavy, but I would consider them light and sell them as such.

For the EX Series: loose packs from most of the sets are very tough to accurately assess as heavy/light – you need to compare to packs from the same box. This is because there appears to be heavy and light print runs for many sets (I.e., you’ll have boxes where 16.7g is light and 17g is heavy, and boxes where 17.2g is light and 17.5g is heavy).

According to what I know and have experienced, I can tell you the following:

1. Your FRLG pack is basically 100% heavy
  2. Your Hidden Legends pack is basically 100% light

I could make educated guesses about your other packs, but I’d only be highly confident making the two above assessments. If/when you open packs, please make sure to post your info in the pack weight thread! We really could use more EX Series data in particular :blush:.

3 Likes

@zorloth, what’s the chance for a 17.42g FRLG pack to be heavy from your experience?

Thank you for your detailed response Zorloth!

I bought the packs throughout the years, so unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to compare them from packs from the same box:/

I have other packs from the same sets, but those have been tamperproofed straight out of the box, so I don’t want to mess around with that.

I don’t think I’ll be opening any at the moment. It’s a lot of money for me to gamble with haha. But I am considering selling a few to buy something else from.

Thanks again! :blush:

1 Like

Generally, 17.4g and above seems to be heavy for FRLG. FRLG seems to be a pretty reliable set. I had like a dozen of packs that were in the 17g to 17.25g range, and a few in the 17.25g to 17.4g range, and then several more in the 17.4g range. So the range is very consistent and narrow compared to a set like Holon Phantoms where you have packs ranging from like 15.5g to 17.75g lol. I haven’t seen a 17.4g pack be light yet, but it’s on the lower end of the range and my sample size is pretty small. So I would be pretty confident that it’s heavy, but it’s not a totally sure bet like it is for a 17.6g pack.

But if you open it and it turns out to not have a holo, that would be super valuable data to have haha. It would mean that there may be light and heavy print runs for FRLG. Because the light range generally doesn’t seem to be larger than like .4g, and I’ve had quite a few FRLG packs in the 17g range. So if it’s light, it’s either toward the ultra high-end of the light range or part of a some heavier print run.

2 Likes

Hahaha, I’ll consider opening it in the pursuit of science, lol.

1 Like

FRLG has the most insane EV right now if these non-holo PSA 10 prices hold lol. It could be light and you could still profit if you pull even a single non-holo starter or Pikachu (and you almost certainly will – 9 starters at common/uncommon + a common Pikachu). God forbid if you pull one in reverse holo…then you’ve made bank. I’d personally open it and hope the non-holo PSA 10 prices don’t collapse before the cards return from PSA :blush:.

2 Likes

@zorloth, wow, I’ve no idea that even FRLG non-holos are worth something now.

I just checked ebay and you’re absolutelty right:o
I’m amazed that what prices they are going for!

1 Like

wotc, 21.0 + usually means holo