Pack Openings

More of a vent
Only after I’ve exhausted all other Pokemon discourse YouTube videos on online, I’ll occasionally watch some pack openings until some of our favorite YouTubers upload new content.

As far as pack openings go…Can I just say that I dislike (with a passion) when people are on their 18th pack and are still shuffling the cards and bringing the three or four cards from the back to the front, and then take two minutes to get to the rare.

3 Likes

Dude whoever your profile picture is of is cool, he has a sweet mullet!
And also I too hate the “card trick” I think it’s completely stupid and a waste of time.

I wish people would just open and show cards in their native order, I hate when people pull the rare/holo to expose later. I feel like shuffling through and pulling that card out always risks scratching the holo or doing something else to it.

6 Likes

Isn’t that the teacher from some 80s/90s show?

@kpod, that’s why I like Rusty’s videos. He puts the holo to the side before going through the order as to avoid damaging the card.

A lot of youtubers do it for the final hype, which, I mean, works - you stay longer for the video. Plus I find that them going through the cards help familiarize myself with the names of Pokemon I haven’t learned the names of. Granted, I don’t watch too many of these videos.

Mr. Turner from boy meets world lol

3 Likes

A lot of these Youtubers try to make the video longer than 10 minutes because at that point you get to add a second advertisement in the middle of the video. It’s all about that sweet sweet ad revenue

1 Like

With modern packs I agree “hurry up already” With a sweet vintage pack you have to savor that moment but nothing should take 2 minutes! lol

The only thing that gets me in pack openings is the upward swipe they do with the card before the holo. Maybe it makes no difference, but I’m always afraid of a vertical holo scratch if they get something good lol

1 Like

Honestly, I’ve started watching many Youtube videos at x1.25-x1.5x speed, depending on how slow the video is moving. I don’t want to miss seeing something, but I also don’t want to spend time on the parts I’m not interested in. If something peaks my attention, I’ll switch it back to normal speed. I like to watch a lot of specific Youtubers, but I’ve been having less and less free time lately, so spending 10+ minutes on one video doesn’t feel as doable for me right now.

1 Like

My argument is actually for not pulling it to the side, just reveal the cards and be careful when lifting the card in front of the holo/rare.

I squeeze them out even when I’m all alone lol.

I personally prefer when youtubers play flip it or rip it.

2 Likes

Dude I do the same thing, even doing 2x pretty often. I double tap skip alotttt too

2 Likes

I dislike the card trick but I do it cause if I don’t or do it wrong I’ll get roasted in the comments. That’s for the modern stuff.

I also open Japanese vintage and since the first card is the holo I pull it out sleeve it and go through the cards then flip the holo. Kind of how rusty does.

I might try doing a few videos without the card trick just for fun to see how my audience reacts :joy: if I start losing subs you know from the 5 people that watch my stuff I’ll blame you guys! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I thought the YouTube algorithm is looking for engagement by the viewer.

So by all means, let them get angry in the comments. :grin:

1 Like

:joy: as long as it doesn’t translate into unsubbing

1 Like

Wow…finally somebody thinking about the viewer. Eliminate all the time consuming fillers and if you need to stretch it, create some additional, imaginative content.

1 Like

I’ve never opened 5 booster box in one video! That’s a heck of a lot of packs. I totally get doing that when you’re opening that many packs!

I stopped watching all Pokemon channels because the following reasons (but not in this order):

1. The way they open packsa) Taking their sweet time to not damage the wrapper
    b) Doing that annoying card shuffle. I am here to see you pull something good or get HOSED
    c) Opening way to little packs or way to many the same packs and naming all the cards
    d) When opening e.g. tins, showing cracking them all open on camera. Opening one is enough. YouTube isn’t Twitch, I don’t need a full live stream of what you’re doing
  2. Turning into a 3 year old when pulling a Hyper Rare
    a) Kiddo; it’s not a first edition pristine Charizard you pull. Behave.
    b) Charizard-Reshiram isn’t a hit, it will pay back your packs but yawn
    c) Uncontrollable screeching, shouting, yelling, crying. Control your emotions. See point 2.
  3. Unnecessary YouTube editing
    a) Two minutes of intro and outro, because you video won’t monetize under 10 minutes
    b) Begging for Like and subscribe
    c) The usual rambling to follow on whatever social media platform. I am okay with Patreon if you make quality content
  4. Unappealing looks of the person opening (if they have a face-shot)
  5. Anything just missing the wow factor. I mean, yeah it’s nice you’re opening packs. But if you imitate 200 other Youtubers doing the same, sorry kiddo; hit dislike and unsubscribe.

The only channels that are still on my regular list are Deriums and abc_oinkoink. The latter, I think she is on Efour and I just love the unedited, raw shot footage straight to Youtube, without a regular upload schedule. Deriums is just king. I love seeing him crack a full case in 20 minutes and not get exited about any card because he knows he will pull a full set anyway during one of his videos/on stream.

Sometimes the Youtube algorithm surprises me with giving me a recommendation for a Pokemon channel that does unboxing and sadly, I just hit dislike and click away the video when I see them doing the card ‘trick’.

1 Like