Other Worldly Patience - Who’s Got It?

Does anybody have any sealed items in their collection that they’re saving away with the intent to open on a specific date / milestone / event?

If so, share what, where, and when they’ll be opened!

If not, what’s the longest you’ve been able to stave off opening packs?!

Does when the cows come home count? I dont have cows but I dont plan on opening my decks in the future. Or really any of my packs either.

1 Like

I won some base set boosters on a raffle and since we were expecting I waited 3 months till my son was born to open them.

Didn’t pull anything particularly good but a nice thing to do when we got home from the hospital.

I have no patience at all.

4 Likes

i store some of every new release until i feel the urge to open one, but only happens occasionally, maybe a few times per year.

1 Like

Well that’s certainly an event worth celebrating! Brilliant reason to do something exciting, that you might not get a chance to do again!

I like this, and I think quite a lot of collectors are of the same mindset. I do think there’s a difference between being resigned to keep stuff sealed vs knowing some day you plan on opening it. I think impatience could have a tendency to creep in with the latter

I have a Dragon Frontiers pack I’m considering cracking on my deathbed.

3 Likes

i think it´s important to distinguish your true intentions for acquiring sealed stuff - as an investment/to sell later on or to see what happens and just open it if you feel like it :wink:

1 Like

I’m not big on sealed unless it vintage. With vintage I could not bring myself to open any of the packs because it’s just so expensive. But modern it’s just for fun for me so I open and enjoy the cards

1 Like

Absolutely, and it’s probably easier to stick to your guns if you have that clearly defined for yourself at the outset of a purchase.

It’s definitely always fun to open packs, and modern is the most economical way to get to experience that!

1 Like

This is partly why I just dont collect sealed. Partly because I just dont like it, but another big part is that they tend to be opened quicker than I like

2 Likes

I’ve started stockpiling a small amount of Celebrations packs to open at an undetermined date in the future. It’s my favorite set and I want to be able to open some in the future. Unsure if I’ll do all at once on a birthday or something or do something like 5 a year for a few years.

3 Likes

My deathbed will be a lit opening party

2 Likes

My current record is 10 years.

1 Like

This was previously my exact approach, find something I liked collecting that was decently priced, and buy some extra sealed so I could feel the same nostalgia in future years :ok_hand:

That’s impressive! What is it that’s survived for 10 years? Do you plan on opening it at some point, or will it be eternally sealed?!

I opened it after 10 years, that’s the record. :rofl: I have some stuff that has survived longer in sealed form but I don’t plan on ever opening that, so 10 years from acquisition to opening is probably going to stay as a record.

It was a 1st ed Fossil booster box. Pulled a Dragonite holo out of the first pack, made the whole house shake.

3 Likes

To this day I have 9 heavy base set booster packs. Those 9 I have since 4 years. I had 12 in the beginning but opened 3 of them for very special situations such as a big purchase, a very nice evening with friends or the first base set booster box opening from Logan Paul. I am not sure whether I will open the remaining 9 at any time, but if there is a special situation again, I will open another one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got some hidden fates tins from when they came out. Was gonna open them after 5 years for a nostalgia hit since that set was so fun to open but 5 years came and went and didnt feel very long so Im gonna wait another 5 years and see if it feels right to open them then.

2 Likes

I have some sealed items that I know I either want to sell or open, but selling them is one headache and dealing with all the non-holos if I opens them is another, so I end up just holding them until something gives.

As usual, fat (lazy) hands > diamond hands

2 Likes

That’s awesome, what great memories you must have from that!

1 Like