Original artwork

Hi guys. Does anyone know where I can find high quality pictures that the base set cards (and other Sugimori art) came from? Am I right in assuming that they are from a bigger picture? Or were these drawings created specially for cards?

I’d love a book of the original artwork if such a thing exists.

I don’t think they all from one picture based on them all having different backgrounds? There is a book with most of the early cards in I’m sure though.

Closest thing I can think of to an actual product would be the Bandai Carddass cards with the original 151 in Sugimori art. I actually picked up the set a few months back just cause I love that style.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pocket_Monsters_Carddass_Trading_Cards

I skimmed through the actual Pokemon TCG Illustration Collection artbook yesterday and while it does have old school art, the majority of the pictures are from newer sets.

I would too like some original illustrations. Would love a Mitsuhiro Arita Charizard framed!

Ah, I realise I wrote that poorly - I didn’t mean all illustrations from one picture, I meant did each illustration come from a larger image.

Would be cool to see the original drawings.

I assume they did. Most likely the illustrators have them archived and will never sell such valuable artwork.

I just want a book of them! Would be awesome.

There was an art book published in Japan a year or so ago in which some original sketches were included (though of more recent card art). The book included an interview with Sugimori and one other artist. The book was also packaged with a promo card.

1 Like

Are you referring to the one with Rayquaza on the front? Looks like a nice book, but I’m more interested in the earlier WOTC era.

I was just hoping there’s images out there somewhere of the base set era artwork. I’ll keep looking!

I imagine the art to resemble something like these beauts:

awesomepaintedcards.tumblr.com/

1 Like