Official 2019 NHL Playoffs Thread

3 Likes

Boston takes game 6…we’ve got history on our side for game 7!! Let’s get them one more time!

1 Like

Double bonus hockey last night with the sharks/knights. Love it/Hate it as the game gets pretty sloppy with guys playing 40+ minutes. Double OT ended with a shorty, just like we all saw coming.

This series has turned into a real dogfight. Tuesday should be epic.

There is a very real possibility I go 0-8 on my picks. I’ve missed on all completed series, and my remaining picks are either down 3-2 or playing game 7 on the road.

1 Like

The chances of losing all 8 picks are exactly the same as winning all 8 soooo…congratulations???

I like to think the chances are actually worse to lose all 8, since I think of myself as pretty knowledgeable about hockey and probably better than 50/50 to get a pick right.

1 Like

Except by picking 8 winners your also picking 8 losers lol. Or whatever :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Eh you can be as knowledgeable as you want, playoff hockey is just a beast. Look at all the expert picks, they never tend to pick the lower seeds or even that correctly. There is a reason after the Tampa and Islanders sweep that there was only one perfect bracket left, and it was named…“lolwut”

The Columbus Blue Jackets determined that was a lie…

(I say as I picked Lightning in 4)

Sure, it’s very unpredictable, but I think it’s still better than 50/50 for each individual series to get the right team, even if not by much. I read an interesting article before about unpredictability in sports playoffs, which concluded that to have equivalent odds to a better NBA team that is expected to win 80% of the time in a best-of-seven series, the NHL would have to have best-of-59 or something thereabouts.

It’s a matter of being correct. In that event, you wouldn’t be picking those losers (i.e., the relevant measurement is against your intent–it would be more likely than 50% that you’d get eight right than eight wrong if you are attempting to pick eight correctly).

Unless you were picking to pick 8 wrong which would have the exact result as if you were trying to pick 8 right…hehe.

True, but I was most assuredly actually trying to get them right despite being 0-5 right now (remaining picks are Leafs, Knights, and Canes)… I actually thought the Blues would win, but I’ll never pick them for anything, though I’m certainly happy to be wrong since they’re my team.

The pool I’m in is a mess. There are about 12 people participating, and only two could still be correct on the Cup winner (me with the Leafs and one person who boldly picked the Avs).

And the Canadian teams are gone. Really thought the Leafs would go deeper this year.

Game 7 in Boston is Leafs kryptonite…they’ll never be able to live down that 2013 one. Amazing series though, this felt like a conference final. I still think there’s something wrong with the playoff format when teams like Toronto and Boston play in the first round.

Boston and Columbus will be a great series. The rest of the playoffs will be nuts with Calgary, Tampa, and Nashville all out. Will be interesting to see who comes out on top between Vegas and San Jose!

3 Likes

4 goals during a 5 minute major penalty power play. Sharks were down 3-0, now up 4-3. This is insanity.

1 Like

Do you think he deserved a major?

Wow what a comeback! That Major penalty will be the point of contention.