Oddish e-Reader Sample Set · Japanese

Is this a super rare? Cannot locate and would love to know if anyone knows someone or if you have this card and looking to sell. Would need to know price, there’s not really a lot of data on card. Found a scan of the card so I know it exists. There’s no active listings

Ken Sugamori
e-Reader Sample Set · Japanese

1 Like

Seems to be p hard to find. I found the Bulbapedia article for the set, but can only seem to find cards from the 2002 August NYC Sample Pack,even found a couple of entire packs.

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder how many of them are out of packs and how many were even printed. How much do the packs list for? I’d hate to invest money in a pack and not even pull an Oddish, but you know…

1 Like

“The cards used at the demonstration kiosks were hole-punched and attached to chains to prevent them from being removed, while two copies of each card were also displayed in a glass case showcasing the upcoming generation of Pokémon cards.”

This is the info for the 2001 Spaceworld, so I doubt those ones were in packs

1 Like


You can even see the hole punched Oddish in this image

Edit: Found 2 more in this image from the event

2 Likes

I seriously doubt I will come across one of these then, but that’s super cool you found this out! I never really looked into what this event was about. I wonder if a Japanese seller here or another site might have some way to get this card.

Also, if they come in English AND Japanese then I have a real hunt to do, because that’s wild.

1 Like

Here is a link to the Bulbapedia page for the event, and thankfully for your collection it seems to be in JP only.

1 Like

I’m glad to know it’s just in Japanese.
I’ll read about it and see if I can get any clues to where I might possibly be able to acquire one. Thank you for helping me with everything and the links

1 Like

My pleasure, I wish ya the best of luck in your hunt!

1 Like

From what I remember, these are extremely rare (and would therefore be extremely expensive). I think, for a long time, people weren’t even sure if they existed anymore/if they were available anywhere.

This thread should be a good read, since it talks about the sample cards (potential fakes?) and a sale.

1 Like

I’d love to know if an Oddish is still out there. Considering they had “punches” I would assume a lot were just tossed in the garbage after, thinking they were ruined and worthless.

I was kinda assuming that fakes of these are common because of the rarity of them all. Not hard to fake it now with AI printing.

Thanks for the link! I’ll read it

1 Like