Non-paying PWCC buyers - how many are there?

I recently decided to try out PWCC for auctioning some premium Pokemon cards. I figured they have established themselves as a strong brand for auctioning high-end cards so might as well give it a try.

My experience has been abysmal. So far, my high end card went unpaid on auctions TWICE over a two month period. Here is the issue - there is zero transparency to who bids, what their paying record is and what consequences they suffer if they do not pay. There seem to be a lot of dead beat buyers on that platform who just bid for the sake of bidding, but don’t pay up. Are these all in-house shill-bidders trying to inflate prices?

Has anybody else had a similar experience? I have been selling on eBay for many years, but have not had a similar experience. There is also a ton of transparency as to who the bidder was, track record etc. I am now thinking I am better off selling directly on eBay.

Is PWCC just all marketing and all fluff and no results?

Wondering if other sellers have had similar experiences with PWCC,

I recently migrated my consignments from eBay to pwcc. I’ve auctioned about 450 items in the past couple months and maybe 15-20 went unpaid. That ratio is better than what I was experiencing with eBay. Regardless non-paying buyers are the worst. It should be a felony. :oncoming_police_car:

18 Likes

I have shill bids on basically every high value card I put on eBay. I also see stuff constantly get re-listed because of it.

1 Like

It’s hard to say, I tried moving a couple things last year (Sports cards) and I had a couple cards that went unpaid 2-3 times on PWCC in a row. I took a small loss on them and moved the money into deeply discounted Pokemon cards instead (which has paid off).

I think a lot of people were getting caught up in the market fallout that was happening at times. In the recent week or 2 you had the little flash crash in crypto + stock market jitters. I know they’re different markets, but I feel like a lot of this stuff plays into peoples pockets and decision making at times, so they end up passing on things like high-end collectibles until the other markets or their financial standing improves.

Anyway, this is just a guess for now. I know from personal experience I’m a little more motivated to spend bigger money on anything when my other investments and finances are in a healthy spot. I simply don’t go bidding or looking at stuff until I’m prepared to drop the money.

4 Likes

Thank you. This does not sound too bad. Do you see higher default rates on higher value cards? Little new to all this …

I’ve never sold on pwcc, only bought. Their site mentions:

Unlike other venues, PWCC does not permit bidders to cancel or retract bids. All bids are final. If the bidder does not pay for an item, they are prohibited from future marketplace participation. PWCC requires considerable identity verification from all registered users who wish to participate in our marketplace, and financially pre-qualify all bidders who wish to participate in our Premier Auction.

But, I’m curious to hear from others, what does pwcc do if you do not pay for an auction item or fixed price item?

Require each bidder to place a deposit of quite a sum… like $1,000 during the registration of auction, prior to bidding.

Any misbehaviour like non-payment or MIA, the deposit will be forfeited.

If everything goes well, the deposit will be returned.

Majority that went unpaid were popular modern Japanese promos. Highest value so far was the PSA 10 2016 Festa Pikachu.

2 Likes

The op mentioned premium cards, not cards in a premier auction. The weekly auctions require an address and phone number and thats it.

For weekly auction, I had an item go unpaid and they relisted it in the next weeks weekly auction. For Fixed price, they just put it right back into my vault and sent me a message.

3 Likes

It’s the problem of creating too much of a barrier that you restrict the buyer pool too much and get lower prices vs letting anyone bid freely. PWCC does an ok job but I have definitely had my share of nonpaying buyers. Quite a few given they supposedly ban them

3 Likes

They should require unforfeitable deposits for those that fail to pay but I guess that requires too much backend work.

Then again, I don’t believe they are banning anyone.

I’ve seen people who are banned or restricted from bidding, I just don’t think there is much of a barrier to making a new account

1 Like

They banned me about a year ago, but didn’t stop me signing back up under the exact same details; lol

2 Likes

Doesn’t PWCC give the winner of the item a two week period to pay :thinking:?

that’s why i accept the cancellation + relist as it’s not worth the time to get the strike against the buyer or the energy to get emotionally invested. i don’t have a viable solution either, as you said each restriction decreases the buyer pool, which isn’t something that most sellers can afford to do.

what i don’t get, is why not just say you fucked up and aren’t paying, why is it always something like this lol.

5 Likes

Even then, I wouldn’t be surprised if the same non-payers simply file chargebacks since it is easy to do with online banking. I doubt PWCC wants to deal with more of those cases and expend more resources when their current system seems to work fine for them.

1 Like

I was just talking to @smpratte about this. I had a few items unpaid, nothing crazy high end but it was unpaid twice as well. That gets annoying since you have to wait for it to be relisted and paid… I just watched that show on Netflix about Goldin as i havnt put anything on there but any bidders are obligated to pay, at least thats what i was told. Not sure why its not required on all platforms.

2 Likes

Also, forgot they just added this, maybe you could use this @smpratte or anyone else:

PWCC Private Sale options

• Let us find or help you sell your grail card!
  • We can set up private sales for any card over $10,000 and help link you with a buyer or seller today
  • As a buyer, it is a quick and easy process, just let us know what you are looking for and we will see what we can find you!
  • As a seller, feel free to send images of the assets you are looking to sell as well as a value you are hoping to receive and we can go from there!
2 Likes

Yes of course, whats your question? We are talking about what happens after an item goes unpaid(which means after the pay period has ended). Did you not read the thread

I was just confused as you said you had an item go unpaid in pwcc weekly auction then it was relisted in that next weeks auction so my math is that’s not two weeks time period for the buyer too pay but maybe I missed something lol