Nintendo Power Pokémon Ad Nostalgia Bait

Hello everyone. I have been going through my Nintendo Power magazines lately, and I figured it would be a fun idea to scan and post everything Pokémon related from one issue each day. Most issues have an ad for the card game at the very least, but some have more content depending on if games were coming out around that time. Personally I love looking at these ads so many years later, seeing something advertised as new that we now call vintage.

I have about 80 issues currently, so this will go until I run out, however I am going to start working on collecting all 285 issues when I’m able to find decent deals, so hopefully that starts happening before 80 days from now! I’ll be posting these in no particular order.

Anyway, here’s day one! This is issue 157, from June 2002. The main thing from this issue is an advertisement for the pokemoncenter.com website, as well as the Pokémon Center in NYC. Bonus image of someone sending in pictures of Pokémon cakes they made, with a Charmander cake labeled Charizard.

18 Likes

Kirby is the OG Pokemon.

And Charizard apparently downsized to look like Charmander.

3 Likes

They clipped his wings! :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

Ha! I didn’t realize that said Charizard. It looks exactly like Chamander.

2 Likes

If you look at the first image, Celebi has no wings too!

1 Like

Someone at Nintendo Power has it out for flying Pokemon.

Anyone have more info about the Pokemon Center NYC Trading Card Set from the first photo?

@qwachansey ?

Cheers!

1 Like

I don’t sorry

From the image it looks like Neo Genesis packs, the Cold Fusion theme deck with Kingdra, sleeves and the Pokemon center playmat. So just a bundle of existing products

Day 2 - Issue 179 - May 2004

Lots of Pokémon things in this issue. For card stuff, there’s an advertisement for Team Magma Vs. Team Aqua. You can flip the ad either way to see it from either team’s perspective. I remember they did a lot of this kind of thing for Ruby and Sapphire. I really like how much they promoted each game’s team for this generation.

Also for cards, they had a Pokecenter section that covered the Team Magma and Team Aqua card releases, as well as a breakdown of a Team Magma deck.

This was also around when Pokemon Colosseum came out, so they did a little walkthrough/article of the game. There was also a review for the game, and player submitted teams.

And finally, an article advertising Pokemon episodes for GameBoy Advance Video. I wonder how many people actually owned any of these cartridges?

12 Likes

I didn’t have those Pokemon GBA Video cartridges but I did have a Yugioh one and maybe a Spongebob one and boy were they terrible. The quality of the video wasn’t good (to nobody’s surprise) and the audio could only be best described as crunchy.

1 Like

Day 3 - Issue 193 - July 2005

The theme of this issue is Pokémon Emerald, since it had recently been released. Here’s the card advertisement in this issue.

There was also an offer to get a Deoxys t-shirt, Pokemon Emerald Player’s Guide, Pokemon Emerald, and a Nintendo Power subscription in a bundle.

Here’s a little walkthrough they had for Pokémon Emerald as well. I think it’s funny how the Norman section is titled “Father Issues”

This article goes over the Pokémon Emerald Frontier Brain Battle tournament, held at the Space Needle.

Last, and also probably least, a little preview of Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.

6 Likes

I actually had this as a poster in my bedroom for the longest time when I was younger. I forgot about it but it’s crazy that seeing an image can bring back those memories

11 Likes

@lightsen may like to see these, since he collects everything related to Team Aqua and Team Magma (although I’m not sure whether he’s still active now that I think about it).

Also, if you come across any Sevipers on posters or magazine covers, no matter how tiny, lmk. :wink: Recently bought some posters that featured a Seviper and are currently incoming, which give a very similar vibe as those magazines.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

God the promotional arts + advertising for Pokemon emerald, colosseum and XD were so fucking good

1 Like

Issue 158 - July 2002

This issue just has one article showing off someone’s team, as well as some neat stamps.

1 Like

I still have a few Nintendo Power issues… somewhere. :grin: This is one. Very cool to see these again.

1 Like

Issue 198 - December 2005

This issue has a pretty underwhelming ad for EX Delta Species. You’d think they’d show off some Gold Stars or something, but no, big CGI Crobat.

2 Likes