New Rudy Video on Pokemon

This graph is incorrect some of the highest prices reached for Pokemon cards even today are right after the GO craze. If you bought the majority of your cards from PWCC in and around 2017 you might be net even maybe even at a loss (depending on specific cards)

4 Likes

The amount of people that want the pokemon economy to plummet is kinda weird lol

Yes the prices have been crazy lately and naturally there’s some people joining in due to the hype who only care about the money which is why they ask what to buy/invest without caring about what they’re buying

I know this can be annoying to some of the vets but for people like me who are just returning to the tcg, it’s been amazing. With how many people are now interested in pokemon cards again and how cards have been increasing in price so fast, it’s been very easy for me to find people trying to sell their old collections off/finding below market cards(PSA/Raw) which have contributed to my end goals which never would have been realistic without this amount of market activity :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What are you talking about?

He’s saying that people weren’t around during the dark times like him and are only saying that they want prices to plunk so they can buy up because they’ve only experienced the pokemon market at its peak and don’t realize that the prices dropping which would correlate to market activity dropping would be terrible and lead to dark times once again

edit : I think?

1 Like

Ahem, unless those waffles are the good kind. You know, butter, syrup, the works :blush:

Not those instasham lose your money for a “chance” deals haha.

2 Likes

From the notifications I’m getting I think I should expand a little more. Now please don’t attack me for this post as it is just my opinion (rebuttals are welcome).

First and foremost I want to say this chart is just myinterpretation of the current pokemon market, another individual may prepare it completely differently. There is no right or wrong answer to it - just opinions.

I took a whole market view when I prepared the chart, ignoring individual outliers - many of which exist. If you look at pokemonprice for the highest points for the majority of cards you’ll see that it’s occurring right now. You can apply this same chart to individual cards and it’ll work but you can’t take a whole market view and say it’s incorrect because of a handful of cards that aren’t at their highs now. It’ll be like saying we’re not in the greatest bull run of all time because GE’s share price is still low since the '08 crash.

Another point I’d like to make about my interpretation is that it doesn’t have a time frame on it. Like @smpratte correctly pointed out other smaller bubbles have occurred, corrected and now risen in price far beyond the original bubble. Someone with a long term outlook may see this as small blimp in the road and carry on collecting, whereas a a short term outlook will see any natural correction as the market is ending. This graph only takes a short term view. In my opinion the market will correct at some point, but this won’t mean the end of Pokemon, it’ll eventually recover and beat previous highs if you are patient (10+ year outlook).

Moreso on why I think the market will correct. When outsiders come in (not true collectors) they come from another collecting category. It’s people who don’t have an emotionally attachment to the card that’ll sell the card first in times of crisis over any other collectible they’re truly passionate about.

Also, Pokemon like many collectibles has a liquidity problem. Go on any fb group (it’s a much better representation of the pokemon collecting community than efour) and you’ll see many individuals who have all their money tied up in expensive booster boxes/cards. They’re asset rich but not cash/cash equvilants rich. A fund manager told me the '08 financial disaster didn’t occur because a valuation problem but a liquidity problem.

There’s a few other points going against the market and there’s a few going for the market. I don’t plan to write an essay, just a few point giving some context to my chart.

And so in case people think I’m overall negative, I worked in insolvency for a number of years and I saw all kinds of business and individuals end up in bankruptcy/liquidation - as a result I tend to take risk adverse view which my post shows.

Tl;dr: Take a 10+ outlook and the market will be fine.

Those prices would be a bargain today. By the time I’m a doctor I’ll still be too poor to buy it. :sob:

1 Like

Hisoka is alive!!!

1 Like

Lmk when you decide to panic sell thnx

1 Like

I’m alive brother. I bought my first psa graded card a week ago. Finances are finally in a good position. I’m working 30-40 hours and taking 17 units for med school prerequisites. My life’s been crazy. I’ll be selling my Corvette here soon. I was thinking of getting back into cards. 75% money and 25% Tyranitar. (I have all but the WOTC ttars still) Haha

I still play PoGo and the handheld games. What do you make of the Pokemon market?

2 Likes