New Pokemon Art Collecting Game to Pass The Time

Howdy howdy! I just changed jobs and have a week to kill, so I created this game to help pass the time and honestly have had so much fun with it I thought I would share.

You take a show, movie, video game, or book series main characters, match them to what Pokemon they would be (in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-esque world). Then you look through the cards and see which art best aligns with the personality / aesthetic of that character.

For example, I did this with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood’s homunculus:
Pride’s body is small, and he is a distance attacker who uses shadow-esque arms. Perfect for Gengar

Lust I am still a bit stumped on.
Greed’s body being about to harden and high defense, so Steelix is a solid selection.

Envy’s ability to transform, long hair, and grin all made this particular Zoroark an easy choice.

Sloth is the largest, strongest, and somehow the fastest. After playing enough competitive and being out-speed by Slaking too many times,

Gluttony’s large mouth sucking ability made me think swalot, and his overall vibe fits well with this art.

Last up in my favorite, the sword wielding, physical attacker, Wrath.

Since we know the order which the homunculus were created, I added that each art should have been released after it’s older siblings cards. For example, Wrath was created after Gluttony, so his card art should be post-Celestial Storm (since that is the Gluttony card) - just for some extra challenge lol.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Not sure if I am doing this correctly, but I always found the concept of Ultra Beast in Pokemon inspired by Lovecraftian / Cosmic horror Lore. Specifically Guzzlord and Nihilego.

Based on stuff that I have played in games, read in books and seen in movies, the core essence of cosmic horror is based more on psychological and existential horror than visual. There are forces in existence than we cannot fathom and comprehend, which makes our own presence almost non-existent. Ultra Beasts are also something very alien and something which in the Pokemon Universe is very hard to conceptualize. I can imagine these are made kid friendly for obvious reasons, but the actual inspiration for the design of these Pokemon can be something more darker.

Specifically the Eldritch abominations mentioned in the Lovecraft lores:

Azathoth → Guzzlord

Outer Gods → Nihilego

Of course the images of the actual creatures are also interpretations based on the lore and not how they look like. But that is what makes it interesting to draw comparisons, so, other Pokemon like Darkrai, Giratina and also the remainder of the Ultra beast can also fit this category.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Oh god, never realised this is something i need, directly lovecraft based pokemon really has to become reality in large amounts. Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!

1 Like