New elite trainer box Karaidon/Miraidon

I thot i would invest in pokemon trainer boxes and this one is gonna be released soo i dont know if i should buy some or dont (first time doing this soo if you could tell me something about this i would be very happy and if you could explein why its worth or not worth buying)

You buy it if you want it, you don’t if you don’t want it. If you have to ask for social confirmation, it may not be the move to buy it because it shows your resolve has mixed feelings

3 Likes

I think the recent thread linked below may help you see the mixed opinions you’ll get on investing in a modern product like ETBs. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, but these things are also heavily printed and held onto. At the end of the day it’s always better to collect/invest in things you like!

2 Likes

If you’re opening for fun, its up to you to decide if it’s worth the money.

If you’re purely looking to invest, I personally don’t buy ETBs to sit in until after they’ve “proven” themselves. In other words, I wouldn’t buy an ETB to “invest” in until it’s at least a year old and has seen some price growth. Otherwise you could end up with a vivid voltage, the most popular set of 2020 but the ETB has not moved at all since then

6 Likes

Vivid Voltage might not be the best example because before it was reprinted, the ETB was selling for over $100 dollars.

1 Like

I think it’s worth noting that S&V Pokemon Center ETBs contain a promo with an exclusive stamp. If I was going to invest in them, I’d probably go with that version.

2 Likes

A great example of why I just don’t buy ETBs generally. I think right now I only have Shining Legends and Hidden Fates, both of which have done really well and are only one year older than VV

2 Likes

This 100%. Parking your money to “invest” in a newly released product isn’ t the best use of your capital. Waiting for a set to prove itself might mean you pay a little more in the long run but it avoids ETB situations like Vivid Voltage.

Also, I personally avoid buying etbs like the plague lol.

1 Like

Yeah for modern sealed, you really have to shift your mindset from “investing” to “flipping”. Modern sealed can be so volatile so it’s important to keep up to date with prices from week to week and sometimes even day to day. You have to be willing to part with your inventory at a moments notice.

Waiting for a set to prove itself like Hidden Fates or Shining Legends can work but if you’re strictly looking to make profit, I’m not sure it’s the best. Both of those ETBs have been moving sideways for a couple years now. A safer bet to hold long term for sure but there have been so many more ETBs that have seen far greater price increases in shorter amounts of time, like Crown Zenith PC ETB for example.

1 Like

To answer OP’s question specifically: those Scarlet & Violet base set ETBs are okay. In general, buy the best product from the best set at the best price. Most of the time the best products are booster boxes but sometimes there are products with limited print runs or with exclusive promos during a set’s release.

Keep in mind that there’s a Scarlet & Violet set with Dark Charizard coming out this year and also Pokemon 151 so getting a PC ETB from either of those would be a better bet IMO.

1 Like

Is he going to be wearing one of those silly crystal hats though?

I’m also curious how the popularity of the S/V Legendaries ages. I’m not super into them, but apparently the one I do like (Koraidon) is the less popular one anyway so maybe I’m just out of touch with the kids these days.

No… no it’s the children who are wrong

3 Likes

Its worth opening if i would get some of the rarest drops?

yes if you want to open it. no if you want it as some kind of short-term investment

3 Likes

How likely are you to get the rarest drops?

If you want a financial return from opening packs, it’s probably not worth betting on. BUT if you want emotional return, then why NOT?! Always assume you could lose what you spend/invest, so if that $100-200 is NBD, then Go for IT!
I’m going to get a few boxes to open for fun, but I expect to get squat and STILL have to buy cards for my collection. haha :sweat_smile: