Nevets' Charmander Collection

Welcome to my Charmander Collection!
My aim is to collect all Charmander cards and variations in all languages!
There are currently 419 unique Charmander cards, featuring 35 different Charmander artworks across 12 languages.
My collection is currently 87.1% complete; my progress is monitored on my spreadsheet here:
Charmander Complete Collection Spreadsheet

My collection is stored in 2 binders. Any blank spaces/backs of cards are cards I’m missing (mainly Portuguese and Indonesian…)

The first Charmander was in Base Set, starting with the “no rarity” Japanese card from Expansion Pack. The card was released in 1st edition across 9 languages - English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Korean and Chinese. The Spanish card has 2 versions with differing copyright dates.

A “shadowless” Charmander was released only in English followed by unlimited versions of all other languages. Again, the Spanish version features 2 different copyright dates. In English, a second version of the unlimited card was released with slightly different colouring and a different copyright date.

The card was reprinted with new artwork for the Pokémon SNAP Best Photo Contest - only 15 copies of this card exist and were handed out to the winner of the contest. The Base Set card was reprinted in Base Set 2, released only in English. The card was then reprinted again in Legendary Collection in non-holo and reverse holo; this set was also only released in English.

The Base Set artwork was later reprinted again in Evolutions. The Japanese release in Expansion Pack 20th Anniversary was only printed in 1st Edition. The European releases had both a non-holo and a reverse holo, with the Korean set including an unlimited non-holo only.

The evolutions card was reprinted as a “Toys R Us” cosmos holo promo which was only released in English and French. The 2nd Charmander card was released in Rocket Gang in Japan. In English, German, French and Italian it was released in Team Rocket in both 1st edition and unlimited.

A new Charmander was printed in Quick Starter Gift Set & Expanded Sheet 1 which feature Japanese exclusive artwork. The next card is ‘Blaine’s Charmander’ from Challenge from the Darkness in Japan and Gym Heroes in English. The English set has both 1st edition and unlimited versions and was not released in any other language.

The next card is another ‘Blaine’s Charmander’, this time from the Guren Town Gym deck in Japanese and Gym challenge in English. Like Gym Heroes, this set was not released in any other language.
Next we have the Japanese exclusive McDonald-e promo, which was the first holo Charmander card.
2 new Charmander were released in the Pokémon-e Starter Deck in Japanese. This set was only released in 1st edition, however some of the cards - including both Charmander - have also been found in unlimited from an unconfirmed source. In English, German, French and Italian the cards were released in Expedition Base Set in both non-holo and reverse holo.

Charmander was next seen in the Latias Half Deck in Japanese as a non-holo. This card was released as a holo secret rare in EX Dragon in English, German, French and Italian.

The EX Dragon card reprinted with a stamp at the 2004 City Championships.
The Charizard Starter Deck featured 2 new Charmander, released in both 1st edition and unlimited. Outside of Japan these were printed in the EX FireRed and EX Leafgreen set in English, German, French and Italian. The european versions of these cards feature 3 different codes in the bottom left of the card - it is not known what the reason for these were. The reverse holo versions only have 1 code.

The 2nd EX FireRed & LeafGreen card was reprinted in European languages in the EX Trainer Kit in the Minun Half Deck. This deck was also released in Chinese.

A non-holo Charmander was released as a ADV-P Promotional card in Japanese. In English, German, French and Italain it was released as a secret rare holo in EX FireRed & LeafGreen.
The next release was in the Miracle Crystal set, released in 1st edition and unlimited in Japanese. Outside of Japan in was released in English, German, French and Italian as the first of 2 Charmander in EX Crystal Guardians in both non-holo and reverse holo.

A lightning type Charmander δ was released in the Earth’s Groudon ex Constructed Starter Deck in both 1st edition and unlimited. In English, German, French and Italian it was the 2nd Charmander in EX Crystal Guardians in both non-holo and reverse holo.

A second lightning Charmander with new artwork was released as a PCG-P Promotional card. In English, German and Italian it was printed in POP Series 5.

The next card is from World Champions Pack in Japanese in 1st edition and unlimited - the unlimited version being very rare as it was only available for a short time. In English, German and French it was released in EX Power Keepers as a non-holo and reverse holo. The card was reprinted 14 years later in the 25th Anniversary Box which was only issued to TCG illustrators.

Another Japanese exclusive artwork was released as a DP-P Promotional card. This was followed by the Intense Fight in the Destroyed Sky card in 1st edition and unlimited which features an updated version of the base set artwork. It was a secret rare holo in Stormfront in English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.

The next release was in Shining Darkness in both 1st edition and unlimited. In Europe it was released in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese in Secret Wonders. The English, German, French and Italian sets featured reverse holos, however the Spanish and Portuguese sets did not. In Korean, it was included in the set Guardians of Ancient Times as a non-holo only.

Advent of Arceus included the next Charmander card, again in 1st edition and unlimited. In English, German and Italian it was included in the Arceus set as a non-holo and reverse holo - there was no French release for this set.

Another Japanese exclusive artwork was released, this time as a BW-P Promotional card. The card was released with different artwork in Freeze Bolt as 1st edition and unlimited in Japanese and just unlimited in Korean. It was included in Boundaries Crossed in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese - all of these except Portuguese also had a reverse holo print.

The final generation 5 card was in EX Battle Boost in Japanese and Korean. The Japanese set was released as 1st edition and unlimited and also had reverse holos for the first time. The Korean set was only released in unlimited and also has a reverse holo. In English, it was in Legendary Treasures as a non-holo and reverse holo - this set was not released in any other language. It was reprinted as a promo featuring the Build-a-Bear logo.

40 Likes

On to my 2nd binder.
Other than the Evolutions Base Set reprint, there was only 1 Charmander released in Gen 6 in the Generations Radiant Collection. In Japanese and Korean is was included in PokéKyun Collection. We then start with the Burning Shadows card…

The Burning Shadows card is one of the most reprinted artworks ever - there are 59 different versions across all languages! Here we have the regular set card from To Have Seen the Battle Rainbow in Japanese and Korean. From now onwards, all regular English set cards were also released in German, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. We also have the first Thai and Indonesian cards from First Impact Set A.

A holo version of the card was released in the Charizard-GX Collection across all European languages.

The card was reprinted as a Japanese promo and in the Fire Charizard-GX Deck. It was also reprinted in the Korean exclusive Tag Team GX Power Up Box and also in Chinese, Thai and Indonesian decks.

The same card was also reprinted 4 times in the Battle Academy game, each with a different number on a Charizard symbol. This game was released in English, German, French and Italian.

Another reprint of the same card, this time in the French exclusive McDonald’s Collections 2018 as a non-holo and confetti reverse holo.

The final reprint in McDonald’s Collection 2021 which was released across all European languages in non-holo and holo.

The same card was released with different artwork as a promo card in Japanese, English, Thai and Indonesian.

The next Charmander was released in the Dragon Majesty set in European languages. In Japanese and Korean it was in the Dragon Storm Set - the Korean version also featuring a reverse holo. In Chinese in was in Dreams Come True Collection Set B and in Thai and Indonesian it was in Hidden Shadow Set A.

The same card was included in the Hidden Shadow GX Starter Deck in Indonesian. A French exclusive reprint was in the McDonald’s Collection 2019 in non-holo and confetti holo.

Next release is the first of two Charmander in Team Up, released in Tag Bolt in Japanese and Korean, and Double Burst Set B in Chinese and Thai.

The same card was included in Double Burst GX Starter Deck in Chinese and Thai, and Tag Team Collection GX Starter Deck in Indonesian.

The second card from Tag Bolt, Team Up and Double Burst Set B.

Next up is my least favourite Charmander artwork, from Detective Pikachu. This card was released in European languages as a holo. In Japanese it was a reverse holo and in Korean it was both non-holo and reverse holo.

Charmander was next seen in Sun & Moon Family Pokémon Card Game in Japanese and Korean. In European lanuages it was in the Hidden Fates set.

We then have the only shiny Charmander card! It was in the GX Ultra Shiny in Japanese and Korean, and in European languages in the Shiny Vault from Hidden Fates. It also made an appearance in Chinese in Dreams Come True Collection Set B.

Moving on to Gen 8, we have the release in Amazing Volt Tackle in Japanese, Korean and Chinese. In European languages it was in Vivid Voltage, and in Thai and Indonesian in Shiny VMAX Collection Set A.

In English, a cosmos reverse holo was released in the Costco exclusive Mini Tin 5-Pack Collection.

The Vivid Voltage card was reprinted as an Indonesian promo with INACO stamp. The same card was reprinted in VMAX Climax in non-holo and reverse holo - this was released in Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai and Indonesian.

The Vivid Voltage card was reprinted with new artwork as a promo in Japanese, English, Portuguese, Korean and Chinese.

That concludes all Charmander cards released!

8 Likes

Bonus binder!
The Base Set card was released as a jumbo card as part of the 25th Anniversary. This was printed in English, German, French, Italian and Portuguese.

I have also started to collect cards that feature Charmander in their artwork! Included is any card where Charmander is a main part of the artwork. There are a few I’ve ignored where he isn’t heavily featured (Illustrator, 298/XY-P, SM231)

The first cameo was on the Pikachu’s Summer Vaction jumbo card

Charmander featured inside a bubble on the Weakness Guard card from Aquapolis in English, German, French and Italian. The Japanese card was released in 1st edition and unlimited in The Town On No Map. In English the card was included in the 2004 World Championships deck with an updated layout.

There are 2 Ditto cards that feature Ditto disguised as a Charmander. The artwork on these is uninspiringly similar. The first was released in Holon Research Tower as 1st edition and unlimited. In English, German, French and Italian it was an uncommon card in EX Delta Species.

The 2nd Ditto was in the Holon Research Tower Fire Quarter Deck in 1st edition and unlimited. It was a common card in EX Delta Species and featured 3 different codes in the bottom left corner. The reverse holos only had 1 code. In English it was also released as a stamped promo at the 2007 Origins Game Expo.

Charmander starred alongside Bulbasaur and Squirtle on the Japanese exclusive 279/XY-P Pikachu promo. These 4 then appeared again on the 2016 Champions Festival card. This card was released in Japanese, English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, with the English card also having a STAFF stamp variant.

The latest Charmander appearance is on the Japanese and Korean exclusive full art of Blue’s Tactics from Tag All Stars.

That concludes my Charmander collection!

11 Likes

This is a really really cool(hot) collection!

1 Like

Well done! Love your enthusiasm!

1 Like

Species collectors are kings.

2 Likes

very cool collection!

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like

Again i’m horribly late to the party but wooo, another single pokemon collection! Love the dedication with different languages and how much you’ve already acquired! Also loved the quuador-like information of the releases :grin:

3 Likes

So cool. You have a few favorite Charmanders from the bunch? I really enjoy the reverse holo from the Legendary Collection.

1 Like

awesome collection!

1 Like

Recently got some post from Brazil with a nice amount of Portuguese Charmander cards! Finding Portuguese cards has been very hard, probably the hardest language to hunt down. Still have 9 left to find but glad to have ticked all these off the list!

4 Likes

Hey, I’m Arthur (a Rayquaza collector from Brazil). I’m new to efour, but been helping collectors worldwide with obtaining some cards in Portuguese. Feel free to send me your list of cards you need, I have an IG: @rayquaza.br !

1 Like

Much more thorough than mine! I’m still missing a couple of the cameo cards, but I have the Pikachu’s Summer Vacation card. I want that Festival of Champions one, though!

1 Like

I absolutely LOVE your collection! This is such a big undertaking! And I love the spreadsheet! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Amazing! :heart_eyes: I wanted to go for the same but I settled on just the base set Arita artwork in all languages and reprints. I currently have all 46 including the 5x Celebrations jumbos. :grin: Unsure whether to include the Stormfront variants too… :roll_eyes: Will be glad to add a few more when the TCG Classic Collection drops!

3 Likes

Amazing!

Just in case, in French we also have two different unlimited Salamèche.
Same copyrights, but different color, and cut.

The Belgian version (long crimp packs) is the same than the French 1st edition, but the French Canadian (short crimp packs) one has rounder edges and a slight color difference.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I’m the same with the Stormfront card, still undecided whether to included it with the base set cards or keep it separate. Be interesting to see how many languages the classic collection gets released in

1 Like

Oh nice, I’ve never heard of variants with the French version before. Do you have an example of the colour difference? I can’t find any info on this

Last I read, it was confirmed for Japanese, English and Chinese. Would be great to have a few more though… Japanese holo looks amazing! :heart_eyes: :sparkles: