My Diamond and Pearl-era collection

Hi, I collect DP-era cards. Eventually, I would like to own 1 of every English Diamond and Pearl card ever released, however, setting objectives that lofty is an easy way to burn out, and I am poor. So, I’m taking it easy with smaller, more focused goals, and appreciating my cards more along the way. I decided to split my collection into two sections, 1. English and 2. Japanese (where I would collect only Japan-exclusive art or holofoil variants).

English
The first subset/collection that caught my eye was the 2008 Countdown Calendar release, which (in English) released in the UK and Canada. Each card comes with a foil snowflake stamp, and although there’s a good helping of Ken Sugimori stock art, I find that style incredibly nostalgic! The Pikachu, which represented the final day of the advent calendar, is holofoil and the only card with a silver stamp rather than gold.

I’m also working on a Mysterious Treasures master set, which is nearly done.

Japanese
I fell in love with Pal Cities, and thanks to pokumon.com, 2007 Battle Road cards as a whole. Knowing the story behind the events to which each card corresponds adds a new level of interest for me.

Still missing Kansai (all the decent ones are priced too highly for my liking) and Tohoku (they just never come up raw), but hoping to change that soon!
I’ve also got my sights set on holofoil Roseanne’s Resarch, holofoil Professor Oak’s Visit, the First Classroom DP promos (072-074/DP-P), and the Tag Battle DP Plusle and Minun Holos (055-056/DP-P).

Cheers (I hope I embedded all the images correctly)!

20 Likes

Diamond and Pearl is a great era! Congrats on a master set for Mystetious Treasures. Also, I wish I collected Pal City promos earlier as they are just such great promo cards with unique art.

Looking forward to more updates on this thread!

4 Likes

Love the collection! The calendar promos were such a cool release, Im so glad they brought that back!

2 Likes

I think you mean the Kanto print since I see the Kansai card. But yes, I agree with you that the decent ones are highly priced. In my opinion, people are catching up a bit to the PalCity promos. However, the availability of Kanto and Kansai prints far far exceeds those of the others and sellers are just absurdly pricing these cards because they probably are not coming across the other prints and just group all cards as being rare. I would suggest not waiting too long to pull the trigger on the Kanto since the prices are gradually just increasing even for the decent copies.

Thanks for sharing you collection and looking forward to whenever you complete the PalCity set. Happy hunting.

Cheers!

2 Likes

You’re right, that’s not the first time I’ve mixed up the two in my brain either.
Unfortunately, it seems that the Kanto variant’s abundance is somewhat counteracted by its… Pikachu-ness, making it a bit more expensive than the other ‘common’ ones.
I’ll be in Japan later this year, so I’m hoping to find a copy in person then.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I think you meant Chubu and Kanto in regards to having higher availability than the others. I think Kansai is still a little more available compared to the Chugoku/Hokkaido/Kyushu/Tohoku ones though.

2 Likes