Must-sees of the World (By your experiences)

Hey all,

I’m starting a list of places to see on google maps so i know of cool spots to go to in the future. It’s supposed to be expanded naturally throughout the years but I want it to start strong. Any of you have any must see places the you’ve visited? Abroad or in your hometown? Could be anything from the most touristy attraction to a secret paradise in the woods. I would love to hear stories and personal experiences from there as well :grin:

4 Likes

Show up here mid October, there will be a man waiting in a long beige trench coat and green feather in his hair. Approach him but do not make eye contact and do not speak. Sign the numbers 1,1,8,5,2 and he will hand you a package. Welcome to the rest of your new life brother.

www.google.com/maps/@43.1211279,144.0273162,3a,75y,289.97h,78.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAgZp1NhpAAKyAcCtjxBsMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

5 Likes

I know since the pandemic it has become more controversial but Mount Rushmore is one of the most fascinating things I have ever seen in person. Pictures do not do it justice compared to when you turn the corner after entering the park and see it for the first time.

1 Like

I am not one for nature too much, so, in my hometown:

• The fabric and accessories stores in the Garment District of Manhattan. Amazing array of ribbons, buttons, unusual materials and textures, colors. For a single store, try Mood Fabrics. I used to recommend Paper Presentation as an incredible stationery and arts supplies store but it sadly closed a few years ago.

• 469 President Street Electronic Waste Warehouse in Brooklyn. Fascinating vintage electronics to peruse, rent or purchase. Think 80s computers.

• There is a little cemetery / old Catholic cathedral right by the World Trade Center Memorial in Manhattan. It’s open to the public but people don’t seem to realize. It’s a great place to sit on a small park bench and get away from people in a crowded area.

• The Steps by Union Square subway stop so you can see what hip teen trends are in style these days.

• The Bonsai Forest in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden

Museums:

• The National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC
  • The Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC
  • The Metropolitan Museum in New York
  • Churchill War Rooms in London

If you want something local:

• Ride the tomcar as fast as you can through the off-road course at Havayat Harochvim; close to Haifa, Mount Carmel
9 Likes

I’ll be honest, I forget this is a real place and it’s probably fascinating being upclose to it

Sør-tverrfjord - a ghost town in the northern north of Norway, only accessible by a 2 hour ferry trip. Population is 19, most are related to each other and there is one german explorer type guy running a small shop/post office. Funnily enough, two sides of my family (from totally different parts of Norway) have both lived here at one point, my grandfather was a teacher here back in the 60’s and another side have lived here a long, long time.

The greatest fishing trip I’ve ever been on happened in these waters. Long line fishing, we caught Cod at sizes I’m not even sure exist today. We even caught a small Rose fish as the last one on one of the lines, I remember that vividly. My mother loves Rose fish, I think she enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the cod. You haven’t tasted fish until you’ve had this stuff fresh from the Barents sea with some boiled potatoes and raw onions drenched in the cod’s oil. And the cod liver, lightly boiled…trust me, you don’t know what you’re missing. I long for that taste on a weekly basis.

Sometimes you can see whales in the water, and the blistering sun at 3:00 am in summer is quite surreal. I actually have a few collector memories from this place as well, me and another guy connecting over Beyblade.

15 Likes

Added all of them, you can expand beyond your hometown though, any place you feel is a must see anywhere in the world?

1 Like

Looks like the perfect place to see the northern lights which I’ve always wanted. I assume the town isn’t as attractive in the harsh Winter though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am fond of preserved historical rooms, and intricately gilded spaces. So, not anytime soon, but:

The Hermitage in St. Petersburg
The Catherine Palace, near St. Petersburg

and,

San Giovanni in Laterano, Rome

1 Like

Yep, chances of ferry cancellations (not even daily routes), column-driving behind multiple snowplowers during the 3 hour drive to the distant place the ferry goes from if the road isn’t just straight up closed. Minus 15-30 celsius and 24 hour darkness for months.

Pretty frostbitten. :grin:

Centralia, Pennsylvania. Never been there myself even though its only 24 minutes away from me I just never found any interest in it, but it is certainly a tourist attraction. Maybe it’ll interest you or others on here.
allthatsinteresting.com/centralia-pa

1 Like
  • Hiking on a glacier. I’ve done Matanuska in Alaska. Unlike anything else on the entire planet.
  • If you’re an American that remembers September 11, the WTC memorial in New York City.
  • French Riviera. If you like cars or F1 racing, Monaco specifically.
  • Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
3 Likes

Milford Sound

1 Like

Totally agree, it’s an incredible experience. Looking at pictures of Matanuska now and wow, those tunnels!

(I am not at all suggesting you would do this, just commenting because it is sadly quite common to see this) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do NOT use your selfie stick to take selfies at this memorial or do any smiling Instagram selfie in general. It is a MEMORIAL. Every day of the year you will have people going in mourning, for example on the birthday of a loved one who passed away, or another anniversary, and it is disgusting to witness people trying to have a private moment of grief juxtaposed with tourists taking selfies.

6 Likes

I don’t know how you could. It’s one of the most somber experiences I’ve ever had in my life. But I guess there are some crazy people out there.

It’s for the *aesthetic background* :upside_down_face:

My family (not American) went. They were very moved and would definitely recommend to anyone visiting New York.

1 Like

If you’re ever in Chicago and the weather is nice, you MUST take the architectural boat tour on the Chicago river. Coolest tourist experience. Whenever a friend comes to visit for the first time, I always take them on the tour. Been on it 4 times and love it each time.

4 Likes

I second the architectural boat tour here! I’d also recommend the revolution x shoreline beer cruise. It’s essentially the same tour but it’s sponsored by a local brewery and takes place during the evening.

2 Likes