Mold or dust?

was looking through my cards and noticed this speck of something which was not shown in the picture of the listing i bought from.

could this be dust or could it be mold?

I don’t think it’s mold, maybe dust? Might just be in the processing of the slab I’ve heard of little pieces sometimes falling into the slap and getting sealed. Stop holding out, what’s the card? lol

-Matthew

3 Likes

its a psa 10 m charizard ex 089 from wild blaze lol. im worried it mite be mould.

Do we have any serious proof that mold can grow on a well kept pokemon card? I’ve seen other topics about it, and I’m honestly still skeptical.
But I’m open minded, and because I’m paranoid too, maybe one day I will run some experiment.

So, unless it was in a 85+% humidity no ventilation environment, i think it’s some dust or plastic defect.

1 Like

im pretty sure its just dust

I’d say dust or just a minor defect in the plastic. Better on the back than on the front, IMO.

1 Like

I’d say residue from slabbing.

Take a pic in another week and then another, and see if there’s any change.

1 Like

Okay I did some more research to rattle my brain. Mold is an obligate aerobe, which means it must have oxygen to survive and flourish. I used to run a microbiology lab at a university but have completely forgotten all this crap. lol If there is a tiny bit of mold inside the slab, from a spore, it would only grow slightly before it would die off. If the conditions are not great to begin with, it likely wouldn’t grow at all. Also the spores only last a few weeks, maybe 2 months if kept cool. So if you’ve had the slab for a few months it’s not likely mold or something that has grown recently. We can rule that out. Do you think it was there before the grading and you just didn’t notice it?

Hopefully you can sleep at night now. :slight_smile:

-Matthew

1 Like

i didnt grade it, i bought it. the seller sent me pics of the back but i couldnt spot that speck. i’ll send you the pics the seller sent me