Mew WOTC Promo: Black Star vs. Pokemon League LABEL

Dear community,

I noticed that the Mew WOTC Black Star Promo cards graded by PSA can have two different labels: Either “PROMO - POKEMON LEAGUE” or “BLACK STAR”. I checked certification numbers, and it does NOT seem that one is an old and the other is a new label. So are these indeed different cards? In case these are different cards, where is the difference? I couldn’t find any.

PSA is simply inconsistent with their labels tbh. I’ve seen some cards with three different labels over the years…

I have the feeling employees can make a new label entry if they can’t find the existing one, so a lot of duplicates exist in their database.

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense!

Yeah, this is unfortunately common with early pokemon PSA labels - quuador hit it on the nose.

They are both league promos. But wotc just messes it up all the time

Hey guys. I dunno when this post was made but id like to add to it. I recently purchased a PSA 9 2000 mew #9 promo holo. It was labeled just black star no pokemon league. But when you go to the cert verification the description is written correctly including the “pokemon league” variety. It seems these were older gradings done when psa was publicly traded as evidence by the foil logo on the back having “nasdaq” in the holo area instead of psa. Anyway I contacted psa about this issue as if it was mislabeled. Today I got an email stating my label correction request was approved for “missing variety” and gave me a prepaid label. So if you have one of these mews, and it bothers you, they will correct it for free just ask. I dont see there being a value difference for this particular kind of mislabeling so im going to send her back.

5 Likes

Before & after lable correction. As you can see same cert #.

1 Like