Masaki Gengar damaged case from shipping

Hey guys, I’m a new member and this is my first graded card. It came in cracked and I paid a pretty decent amount money so I’m curious if you guys would ask for a partial refund or just take it how it is? How would I go about replacing the case? I’m also not sure if I over paid or not. I know I probably should have found out what a fair price is beforehand but these don’t come up too often so I just bought it. The only other PSA 9 I see available is listed at $1000. What are PSA 9’s worth? Any input is appreciated.
[img src=“i.imgur.com/e5tQzkR.jpg”]
[img src=“i.imgur.com/lL2oGN8.jpg”]

Where is the crack?

There is a complete masaki set PSA 9 sold for 850 usd on february

1 Like

Top left back

Lol I never scrolled down XD

you paid for it so that part is resolved. were you aware of the case damage when you purchased?

Edit–just to clarify, this was not a PSA submission by you, correct?

I would just send it back. But the thing is, did you film the opening?

What did you pay?

Just so you are aware… from my experience, if you send it in to psa for a new case they will have to regrade the card not just replace the case. They do this when the damage on the case is over the card and “could possibly have damaged the card.” If you feel confident the card would grade at least a nine then that is a decent option if you really want the car, or if you feel you got a really great price on it. However, to be safer I would send it back and get a refund.

Best of luck! It is a real bummer when the cases crack it happens from time to time to us all

2 Likes

Judging by the above post too much. I paid $499
I guess it was pretty stupid to buy something without knowing the market price.

The card was advertised without the damage? Personally I’d say you’re entitled to some compensation. Proper shipping is the seller’s responsibility.
In addition to any compensation, your options are as follows:1. try to attempt a return to the seller
2. send to psa to be recased (~$7 plus whatever shipping would cost) → note: psa is currently not operating during the pandemic3. use plastic polish to buff out those scratches and just accept the crack. It’s pretty small and on the back. This is what I would do

2 Likes

If it was advertised without any photos of the damage or mentioned in the description I’d return it. It was either already damaged and not mentioned/photoed or got damaged in the post, both of which the seller is liable for.

Here are the seller pics

[img src=“i.imgur.com/MEjwB2B.jpg”]
[img src=“i.imgur.com/9X0zgml.jpg”]

Ebay?

yes

Try to use a mixture of current listings and sold listings to get an idea of price. I found the listing mentioned when looking for previous sales and it looks like you may have payed even more than stated here? I don’t dictate the market and there aren’t many up for sale right now, but in my opinion you overpayed quite heftily. If you could return it and get a refund I definitely would, but the seller probably won’t be too chuffed.

Welcome to the Forum though, I hope your first experience buying a PSA card doesn’t put you off. There are tons of resources and people here willing to help. If you want more tips for working out the general price of a card feel free to message me.

1 Like

I saw this one. Didn’t notice the case but I don’t think you over paid

Probably a private offer

Yeah maybe. Why do you think it wasn’t overpriced though? Last sale I can find was for around $125 in the UK where cards normally sell for a premium compared to the US. I know it’s most likely gone up in value since then but from $125 to $500 in less than 2 months? Seems extreme to me. But hey, with the card being so scarce Shimano could have just set the new standard lol.

So many cards have been going up wildly in value from wotc to players promo’s to other fan favorite japanese vintage cards like these masaki promos recently. Either established collectors are cornering the market and buying double and triples of a lot of these cards, or more likely I think a lot more people have been joining the hobby recently and there just aren’t enough in high grade to go around. Very hard to determine market value on any given day with these prices growing wildly, however, as Smpratte has said in his videos “find me the cheaper option”. If that was the cheapest one on ebay it might set the new price. Now there is only one for 1 thousand on ebay so that 500 may very well have been a good buy. Financially it is risky to buy cards at new record high prices, particularly if you over leverage yourself, but it can also pay off as many other people may soon join you in buying that very same card for new record prices. That pattern has been going on for almost every popular vintage card since the start of the hobby.

1 Like