Mandela Effect (in Pokemon)

If you had to draw Pikachu right now (without it being in your current Efour banner :wink: ), you would probably end up with something like this
, right?

If you do, you fell victim to the Mandela Effect, because Pikachu does not have a black tip on its tail. The Mandela Effect in general “refers to a situation in which a large mass of people believes that an event occurred when it did not”, such as Nelson Mandela’s supposed death in 1983 and details in movies, logos or artworks. For example, it’s not “Luke, I am your father.” but “No, I am your father.”

I know that the Cosplay Pikachus do have a black tipped tail, also Pichu’s black tail might be an explanation for false memories.

That said, People on here have likely seen Pikachu hundreds or even thousands of times, so I’d find it interesting to know how regular exposure to such an altercation of the Effect can determine the percentage of people affected. That’s why I would expect most people on here not having false memories of Pikachu’s black tail and no idea what I’m even talking about.

Did you? Also, did you have any revelations in the past where you found out about a false memory other people shared, in Pokemon tcg/anime/games or maybe off-topic anywhere else? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

I always chalked this up to us being children and forgetting which side of pikachu’s tail was colored in. In Red/Blue pikachu’s sprite shows the base of the tail being darker and there being stripes on it’s back.

2 Likes

Blame Garfield!

1 Like

We all thought Japanese Birthday Pikachu had god-tier rarity back in the day. :blush:

1 Like

Checkmate:

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t know about their black hearts until I did the research for this post. :stuck_out_tongue: That plush though!

Wait a second
 Do most people think pikachu has a black tip on its tail?

“Mandela effect” aka faulty memory
its ok i misremember stuff all the time, doesnt need its own buzzword and accompanied conspiracy theories

1 Like

Honestly, when I was a kid I used to draw Pikachu like that. Back in like 2000 :grin: But at some point I realized it was wrong lol

1 Like

Tbh, I think most would probably end up with something like this :laughing:

Jk of course, I’ve seen loads of people can draw pretty well here on the forum from the Secret Santa events. But I doubt everyone would draw as well as that image. (This image above isn’t mine btw, just a random one from the internet. I personally am a reasonable drawer, if I saw so myself. As a little prove, Secret Santa drawings: 2016 (broken picture links, so here the drawing PS: @xzini You could fix them by changing the .org links to .cc); 2017; 2018.)

But I personally hadn’t even noticed the black tail on tail on that image before. I always draw it with just yellow, which is also how I remembered it.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Conspiracies are not the approach; of course you misremember things as everyone does, but if a huge amount of people misremember the same thing in the same way, it’s interesting for psychology to know the reasons. Phenomenons just needs a term for recognition, “theories” of parellel universes might make that a buzzword for some.
The phenomenon is why I thought of exposure as a variable, another one would be age during that exposure. For example, I don’t expect anyone on a Star Wars fan forum to misremember the Vader quote. :stuck_out_tongue:

its not that deep of a phenomenon, theres been explanations for it already. i was mostly referring to the ppl that think the mandela effect is some glitch in the matrix where u see into a different timeline where it did happen

That’s interesting! Another example I thought of is the Dark Knight quote that is often misquoted.

My guess (I didn’t listen to the podcast, so I don’t know if this is discussed) is that the issue in this case might not be a problem of context but of dissonance between the creator’s intended interpretation of the character against the audience’s different interpretation which “fixes” the quote to fit their understanding. When I remember the quote, I always want to say “needs but not the one it deserves” since that’s how I interpreted Gotham as a character in the story.

Don’t visit the mandela effect subreddit. The people there have actually convinced themselves that we’ve(the earth) teleported within the galaxy and that days are significantly shorter than they used to be and our lives are much different than they were in the past, explained by phenomena such as the days of the earth being hours shorter than they were years ago

Absolutely hilarious

2 Likes

Then tell me why time goes faster, the older I get? :wink:

1 Like

Cuz you been round longer n the longer you been round the shorter them there dayz feel cuz you experienced more of em

1 Like

Yeah
 or the teleportation thingy. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s probably the teleportation thingy :wink:

2 Likes

I think the Pikachu ‘black tail tip’ thing comes from the fact that Pikachu’s ears have black tips. I used to draw Pikachu with the black tip as well many, many moons ago. Until at some point I figured I was doing it all wrong. I just coloured the tips of the ears black, and also the top of the tail. Just a childs imagination.