Likely Over a Hundred Thousand Dollars of Modern Magic Dumped in Landfill

Just came across this post on reddit and thought I’d share here. Pretty insane that this happened, Wonder what company thought it would be easier to write these off rather than sell.

8 Likes

Wonder if it’s one of those things were stores would rather throw everything away than give it out/sell it at a stupid low price to employees.

1 Like

Dang dude that’s crazy

1 Like

Don’t blame them, the dump is where mtg belongs

5 Likes

Rudy!?! :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Must have been more financially feasible to dump it then to have it on the shelves. Or maybe they got damaged, and it had to be dumped regardless. I’m somewhat surprised because MH2 was actually a pretty strong set compared to a lot of the junk in the past couple years Wizards has put out. I know Rudy talked about this in a recent video, where some stores were actually making more writing off bad MTG products for things like business taxes/losses than they were making by attempting to actually sell them, so this could also be the case here. Either way, RIP :skull:.

2 Likes

now i finally understand why the cardgame is called Magic “the gathering”
Landfill meet turnup?

2 Likes

When I worked in Deli I had to throw out black bin bags filled with hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars worth of perfectly edible food every single day. The smallest supermarket of its kind in the city I lived in at the time. We weren’t allowed to take it home, they even had security spot checks. I wonder how much that cost. :rofl:

1 Like

Wouldn’t it make sense to auction off all the pallets in one lot? Starting price includes freight costs, so any value it sells for reduces your losses.

1 Like

You’d think, but when it comes to a large store, it may actually make more sense to just write it off and dump it like this and claim the losses/expense. Sending it to auction creates a taxable event and requires even more time/effort to deal with it. Sending it to the dump like this means by next week they can have the shelves stocked with Pokemon that will actually sell :money_mouth_face:.

2 Likes

What a pathetic society we live in.

5 Likes

Most definitely not; MH2 is selling for pretty close to what it was on release. Just in those pictures there is >$100,000 worth of easily saleable product. If you list that stuff for 15% under market it will sell instantly.

1 Like

I think I’m more grossed out by the fact that it was just dumped in the landfill and not recycled properly :rage:

3 Likes

He’s quick

3 Likes