KromaticLanturn's Collection - The Girafarig (Kirinriki) Post

Here’s the start of my Raichu collection. I’m really excited for the next few upcoming mail days! Almost all of these cards will eventually be sent out to PSA, as soon as the estimated wait time for grading isn’t 1,047 business days. Suicune is there because…shut up that’s why! I love the artwork on that non-holo Fossil Raichu. Here’s an instance where I strongly feel that the non-holo version of the card looks drastically better than its holo counterpart.

Nostalgia story-time:
I remember when I was about 9 years old, my first time ever stepping foot into a card shop. It was late afternoon, and I had been dragged all around town doing errands with my mom. Of course, Pokemon was on my mind over the course of the entire time, and I made sure to bring along my little Blastoise pencil-topper figure. Blastoise and I went on tons of adventures that day: defeating Mewtwo in the Dollar Store, saving Misty from Team Rocket in Walgreens, and having a final showdown with my rival’s Charizard in Acme. We took a less familiar route home that day, and passed a store called Ontario Street Flea Market about midway on the journey home. I saw a Pokemon sign in the window and begged my mom to go in. She was clearly tired from being forced into all of my Pokemon encounters at the stores, but she took me into the shop anyway. I’ll never forget my first impression of this place. There were more toys than I had ever seen before in one place. There were Pokemon and Digimon posters covering the walls, plushies everywhere, action figures galore, and a series of TVs all playing an episode of Dragon Ball Z. The shop was PACKED with kids. They were all congregated around a particular glass case at the front of the shop. I had to see what all the commotion was about. I squeezed my way through the crowd, and saw something that would completely change everything. It was a new set of Pokemon cards that was just released. I remember gawking at those Lapras, Zapdos, and Aerodactyl packs with the red-stamped Fossil logo on the front. The shop keeper had the entire set on display, with individual cards for purchase. The art and colors were amazing. The vivid purple of Slowbro, the bright orange of Golem, and the menacing claw swipe of Golduck made my heart race. I was trying my best to look past all the other kids at each and every card. I didn’t want to miss a thing, not a single detail. And then I saw it, the green and orange electric burst from the back of a non-holo Raichu. I decided that was the card for me. I loved Raichu. I didn’t really know much about it, but I knew that it was the bigger, badder, and dare I say, better, evolved form of Pikachu. An improvement to Pikachu in every way, as far as I was concerned. I had to have it. I asked my mom, “Please can I have Raichu, PLEEEAASE??” But the $9 price tag on the single was too much for my mom to entertain. She just didn’t understand. Instead, she let me pick three singles for $3, of which I chose those same Golduck, Slowbro, and Golem cards that shaped my initial impression of the set. We left and I knew that I was destined to have a Raichu of my own. A few weeks later, my grandma heard that I was obsessed with Pokemon. She came to pick me up after school one day, and low and behold, she had a FOSSIL pack for me!!! I was ecstatic. I had to open it up right then and there. As I flipped through the cards, I was excited but nervous. I was hoping that my Raichu would appear. Card after card I flipped, waiting for my Raichu to come home to me. Then you’ll never believe what happened…I pulled a non-holo Dragonite as my rare. I was so disappointed, yet overcome with happiness at the same time. We went home that day, with my desire of owning a Raichu at an all time high. Days went by, then weeks, then months…

Then on Christmas day, I finally pulled a non-holo Raichu from a pack and stuck it in my binder. I was now obsessed with DBZ and couldn’t wait to open my new Vegeta action figure that I saw my mom buy me from a Kmart a few weeks prior. She didn’t think I saw, but I saw.

TL;DR - I saw Raichu in a card shop, was obsessed with it for a few months, then opened one in a pack and stuck it in my binder. DBZ was my new jam by then.

Fun fact: The non-holo Fossil Raichu in the pic below is that same Raichu I pulled in 1999 on Christmas. And it’s still minty fresh!

Edit: 12/16/20
Here are some cards for my next PSA submission. These are all cards from my childhood, besides the Tag Team Gengar & Mimikyu, that are still in beautiful condition and worthy of grading.

Another Nostalgia Story-time:
It was a hot, summer afternoon. I was over my grandpa’s house visiting. I was bored sitting around watching afternoon TV, so went outside and started playing with some of the local kids. Of course we were playing Pokemon, but a kind of live-action Pokemon, where we played both the trainers and the mons. I was playing the part of Blastoise, and just got finished drenching a poor Rapidash. A few kids were walking down the street, all looking at something in the hands of the boy at the front of the group. They seemed excited, so being the social butterfly that I used to be, I went over and asked them what was up. What I saw made my mouth drop. A…holographic…CHARIZARD! Up to this point, this card was just a myth in my friend circles. No one had pulled the elusive Charizard yet. I immediately said to the kid holding that work of art, “WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR THAT???” He paused and looked at me for a second. I thought for sure he would tell me to get out of his face. He replied, “Whaddya got?” And I knew this was the start of something great. We haggled for a bit, and decided on trading his Charizard, for three of my best holos and $4. I bolted into my grandpa’s house, scooped up my binder, and collapsed in front of my mom, begging for $4. She just asked why I needed it, and I explained that I had a shot at a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own CHARIZARD. Surprisingly, she handed me four one dollar bills without much hesitation. Who was this woman? :open_mouth: With my binder and $4 in hand, I ran faster than what was humanly possible to the Charizard guy. I honestly couldn’t tell you what I gave him along with the $4, because I wasn’t concerned. I would have given him my entire binder. But I walked away with the treasure of a lifetime, a Charizard.

The Base Set Charizard in the pic below is the same Charizard from that day. It’s not in the best condition, but it’s easily one of my most treasured possessions. Thanks again, Ma!

18 Likes

Serious thumbs up. Gameboy collection? Chuh. CHUHHH. (You also beat me to it for my thread hehe). Love that Raichu pile and you had me giggling with the Suicune grab.

You should never have a tl;dr in your collection thread! Screw the people who can’t take the time to read a good story from a fellow passionate collector! Loved the story. Seriously warming. And while I love Raichu, love that you picked the best that day, and of course I mean Slowbro! Fine taste sir!

3 Likes

Thanks man! Yep, Slowbro is definitely another one of my favorites! I may make Slowbro my 3rd go to for collecting, right behind Raichu and Golduck.

1 Like

Love it! That’s amazing you still have the Raichu.

1 Like

Raichu from base set was my first holo card and I remember staring at it a lot. I traded it for a 10 cm pile of cards to the “cool and rich” kid in school that had everything pokemon related. I don’t regret it, but Raichu is very nostalgic to me

1 Like

Update to collection amended to original post up top - Next PSA submission

Awesome stories! Really cool that you still have those cards from your childhood. I have a binder of holos but they are all in pretty bad shape. I LOL’d at you being a blastoise just getting done drenching a Rapidash. Also love all the VS cards, that’s one of my favorite sets!

1 Like

Incredible stuff!

1 Like

Jealous of your Dark Raichu!

1 Like

Haha thanks! If you haven’t seen it yet, there’s a really sick Dark Raichu from the Japanese Neo 2 (Discovery) set as a white star secret rare. That’s the one on my list to get next.

1 Like

@kromaticlanturn, please update your collection with new posts when you have new pics… I can’t like something twice and that makes me sad. Your new card pics are deserving of a fresh new thumbs up and I can’t like it again! Beautiful mate, beautiful :blush:

2 Likes

@kromaticlanturn, beautiful story, really takes me back to my own childhood. That little interaction with your mother about the $4 was so very wholesome. Very nice collection, I can’t believe I only recently discovered the japanese VS Set while getting back into the hobby, those cards are just so stunning.

1 Like

Def will do! Yeah I discovered that after I edited the original post. I should have some new updates coming up this week or next, so watch out!! haha and thanks again man

1 Like

Thanks so much! Yeah the VS set is awesome. I actually was really lucky when I was younger and stumbled across someone selling the half decks when we were on a family vacation. I’m expecting some of my VS cards to come back from PSA (hopefully soon) and when they do, I’ll add in another Nostalgia story time about how I got them.

Great, looking forward to some more of your stories. Mine, however, are a bit more depressing; Perhaps I’ll share them as I just started collecting again and maybe I’ll post 'em on the forum.

1 Like

Finally it’s here!! I’ve waited well over a month to receive my Bulbasaur deck Raichu, and it’s more beautiful in person than it is in pictures. This is easily my favorite Raichu art of all time. The derpy look on Raichu’s face is a great deviation from how Raichu is typically portrayed on cards. I like to think this Raichu is eagerly awaiting the Pokemon treats that the elderly woman he lives with just finished baking. So happy to finally have this card, and in a PSA 9 too!

11 Likes

Awesome card, also one of my favorites from the VHS Intro set!

1 Like

Yes, you sir have fine, fine taste. That Raichu is phenomenal and I am glad it has such a good home now, an appreciator like yourself. Stoked for you on your pick up! Marvelous card–looks so good in a slab. Rai, Rai!

1 Like

Hey yalls! New additions to the collection!

I absolutely love the art on this Umbreon. I eventually want to get a really nice PSA copy of this card in Japanese. And this is by far the best artwork of Golduck (aside from the Rocket Dark Golduck) that has ever been created. I’m working on a binder that includes cards of all my favorite mons. I’ll share the whole binder when it’s filled out a bit more.

On to the Raichus! Of course I needed to get a Japanese copy of my all-time favorite Fossil Raichu. And the Delta species Steel type is beyond cool! I sort of equate this delta species Raichu to Shining Raichu from Neo Destiny in terms of uniqueness, not in terms of rarity. But the artwork of this Raichu hits so much harder for me. It’s really nice to see the all-powerful Steel Raichu just lounging around haha.

Here’s a better look at the glorious Steel Raichu!

8 Likes

Oh kromaticlanturn, bless your soul. Yet another fact of life you have mentioned. I had to say something. I had just showed my carddass set to my best friend for the first time yesterday. When coming across Golduck, I said the same thing.

Wonderful pickups!

1 Like