Kanazawa Pikachu

I really really love the Kanazawa Pikachu cards! I was wondering if y’all thought it would be wiser to buy the PSA 10 copy or 2 Kanazawa boxes instead? I really would like a PSA 10 for my personal collection but don’t know if I would be better off just paying the premium for the 10 or hoping I could grade some from the boxes I buy.

Thanks in advance!

There isn’t a right answer to this question, but I’d personally buy a PSA 10 copy if that’s what you really want.

The boxes are fantastic, but buying them to open in hopes of 10s isn’t as risk-free as past Japanese product has been. The centering on the promos isn’t great, and some of them have small issues coming out of the sealed pack. It would suck to buy two boxes and have one be off centered and the other have a nick. Even if you did get nice promos, you’ll probably be waiting at minimum a year for the card to come back from PSA.

3 Likes

Keep in mind there are two versions of the promo, the one that comes in the box has the reverse holo pattern. Personally I prefer the other one

3 Likes

I agree there is no right answer to this question… I honestly thought I may get some flack for even posting it haha. I do agree that there is more inherent risk buying the boxes as the card may not be a 10 inside. I really appreciate the expertise :blush:

@fourthstartcg,

I really like that the 147/s-p is much more rare (PSA 10 difference is about 20x rarer right now). @pkmnflyingmaster,

With everything happening regarding PSA right now, I’d assume getting the 10 sooner rather than later would be better on your wallet. Unless you’re cool with CGC? A gem mint CGC is a “9.5” if that does it for you.

Long term I would say the sealed boxes are going to be the better investment.

I had no idea there were two. Is it something you can tell from pictures or a distinction better seen in person?

Yes they look very different.

One cost ~50-60 raw and the other is several hundred raw. The numbering is 144/s-p (more common) and 147/s-p (less common). The 147/s-p currently only has 22 PSA 10’s whereas the 144 has over 400 10’s. @hisoka107,

3 Likes

When in doubt buy both!