Japanese promos?

I’m interested in collecting/investing in modern and vintage Japanese promos. What are some of the really cool ones that you see doing really well long term?

Hi, interesting question! Surely there are many examples of cards which might perform well in the long term, but right now I have bought some of the Yokohama Pikachu fullart cards which were sold during the 2023 world champions in Japan. If they stay Japanese exclusive, the demand should definitely be higher than the supply, which would result in prices going up. Also right now seems to be a good time to buy this card, since it is at an all time low and very available on the open market. And even if it doesnt perform as well in the future in terms of financial value, it is still a beautiful card and will definitely upgrade your collection!

Just my thoughts! What do the others think? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a couple of threads that might be interesting for you to read through, including my collection thread.

https://www.elitefourum.com/t/attempting-to-categorize-vintage-japanese-promos/

https://www.elitefourum.com/t/stagecoachs-collection-pokemon-binder-english-japanese-vintage-promos-flip-coins-league-stuff/

———

I think the longterm “viability” of Japanese promos is a little enigmatic. From the perspective of story and population, Japanese promos are often some of the rarest and most interesting cards released to the public. But they also ask more from a collector. Unless you are Japanese, you have no personal connection to them or even an awareness of their existence.

So I think the future of Japanese cards might honestly be in the hands of, dare I even say it, influencers.

Edit: In western countries, I mean.

5 Likes

Fan Club/PLAY/Player’s Club promos are incredible, they range in value, the cards have very unique and diverse art, and there are sub sets within the larger set. Long term value wise there are really only two potential outcomes, their value will go up, or their value will go down. :smile:

Investing and modern should not be in the same sentence

6 Likes

Imo you can`t do anything wrong with Stamp Promos 227 & 226 S-P

1 Like

and yet you post one…

HYPOCRITE! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Full Art Mario Pikachu

1 Like

Truly an amazing promo, i’m hoping to pick one up eventually

1 Like

I just picked up a sealed Luigi special box from eBay, hoping to complete the set with a Mario box soon. Anyone notice that the prices are dropping on these boxes?? I honestly thought they were rare enough not to take a hit with the rest of the market but I’m not complaining :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Probably “investors” getting bored.

This is a great result for you though buying in the dip. I think this item will continue to climb. Especially sealed.

Welcome to the forums @Bash . Glad to have you here. Very awesome pickup and at a great price is always a cherry on top. In my honest opinion, if you got it at a very good margin difference then it might be a lucky outlier, but I think these will hold and have a steady increment over time due to the novelty of the box.

Hope you have a great time at the forums, looking forward to hearing from you more.

Cheers!

Whatever you decide to invest in, make sure you enjoy the cards you’re buying as well for the long-term. I’d say pre-2020 cards are going to be more ‘investable’, but it really depends on the card. There’s a lot on the Japanese side to consider. Tons of Pikachu promos, tournament promos, deck promos, Masaki promos and countless other limited releases.

Anyway, lots of good options, so just take your time with it and learn as much as you can before diving in.

1 Like