Japanese Gym No Rarity

I just picked up a complete (unsealed) Japanese Pewter City Gym deck. I noticed some of the cards have rarity symbols, and others have no rarity symbols. Although the English Gym Heroes set contained several pairs of cards with the same name, I don’t believe that the Japanese Gym 1 set did. So my assumption is that the no rarity cards are theme deck exclusives, and the cards with rarity symbols are from the Gym 1 set. I took a pic of the 2 Graveler’s in the deck as an example. Can anyone confirm this or enlighten me otherwise? :blush:

i.imgur.com/eU9mtpn.jpg

2 Likes

Yep, you’re indeed completely right. All Gym cards without rarity symbols come from one of the six Japanese Gym theme decks (Nivi City Gym; Hanada City Gym; Kuchiba City Gym; Tamamushi City Gym; Yamabuki City Gym; and Guren Town Gym), except for some glossy versions which were CoroCoro Comic promos (i.e. this Blaine’s Growlithe). And all Gym cards with rarity symbols come from the two Gym sets (Leaders’ Stadium and Challenge from the Darkness).

So the Brock’s Graveler on the left is from the Leaders’ Stadium set, and the Brock’s Golem on the right from the Nivi City Gym theme deck.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I always wondered about this symbol/no symbol myself with the gym cards. Is one more rare/valuable than the other.
Thanks

Thank you Quuador!