Japanese Event Organizer Promos

Hey, I just wanted to make a thread covering the info surrounding these event organizer cards. Below is an image dump of what I believe is every card with this stamp:

I have some questions at the bottom of the post and I’d love to update the thread with answers or more questions

2020 050-058/S-P full 9 card set

2020 S-P promo pack

2019 328-336/SM-P full 9 card set

2019 SM promo pack

2017 090-098/SM-P full 9 card set

2017 SM promo pack

2016 XY-P unnumbered full 9 card set

2016 XY promo pack

2015 Pikachu Battle Festa175 XY-P

Questions**:**

Why does the stamp location alternate sides between certain cards in the associated sets?
As @pichufan said, it is most likely purely for aesthetics! Just so no important info (like Bonsly) is hiding behind the logo!

Are these packs single card packs or the full 9 card set? (I ordered one recently and can update this question when the pack arrives)
I can confirm that these packs only contain one of the 9 cards from the respective promo sets.
Which pack art am I missing/did I mess up the pack dates?

Am I missing any more cards with this stamp?

Was the Fiesta promo handed out raw or inside a pack?

What would the distributions for these look like? Is it any sanctioned event holder received a certain amount of packs?

20 Likes

Great thread, I think it should probably be moved to the Articles and Guides subforum as otherwise it’ll get buried.

I think this is purely for aesthetics. The stamp is almost always on the lower right corner of the artwork, but if it were to cover up something they’ll move it to the left instead. They do the same with the School Festa stamp (with the Pokémon Fan Club card if the stamp was on the right it would cover Bonsly):

4 Likes

Had no idea these existed! Thanks for sharing :blush:

2 Likes

I guess that does make sense! It really would have been a shame to hide bonsly. It’s a little unfortunate though since in a binder page it kinda messes with the flow :smile:.

1 Like

Are those promo packs difficult to come by? Are they worth much?

1 Like

I can’t say much about the others, but the Pikachu certainly is. I won two of them on Yahoo Japan three years ago for 1.55k USD. Graded one of them as a PSA-10 for my own collection (mislabeled as a regular 175/XY-P version, since PSA didn’t differentiate them in the past - I might one day send it in for recasing). The other one (raw, which I estimated as PSA-9 quality) I sold for 1k euros earlier this year to a friend of mine who collects Japanese Pikachu cards, although they are selling for around 1.5-2k USD each these days.

And I think you’ve got all of them, @mthursty . Or at least, I haven’t seen more. Can’t answer any of the other questions unfortunately, since I don’t know too much about them.

Also, for anyone who’s unaware, these Event Organizer stamped cards are basically the Japanese variant of STAFF stamped cards we have.

I will try to remember it when I send an update to @pokemontrader for the Index of Efour Articles, which I might do soon.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

This is anecdotal, but to follow Quuador’s post, for the other event organizer promos, they were quite readily available and easily purchasable when I was in Japan between 2019-2020. They were incredibly cheap, usually below 10$ USD per card and with stacks in abundance at a bunch of card stores. Note that Quuador’s pikachu in my opinion is the exception, because it has always been expensive even years ago.

4 Likes

@nuttun , @quuador , Too many variants and series to keep track of haha. Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Also interesting to see that the Japanese event organiser cards are mostly trainers and non-holo, seems fairly low key.

2 Likes

Yes, there really are so many strange Japanese promos that have little demand like these. Although some may be more difficult to find in oversea markets, like this set.

As for your question earlier the packs that are available for purchase are around 50$, however; if you look on mercari, you can see many sold listings for 10$ per pack as well as singles that occasionally appear. To add to this, it is quite difficult to find the older packs and I’m still not sure if I labeled them correctly in the original post.
These are not trophy cards and do not have a population like them, as ditto pointed out. Quuador pointed out the Pikachu has quite a high value and rightful so!
Hopefully, as time goes on I can add to the list and we can find more rare organizer variants!

Lovely thanks for the info. If only the Japanese STAFF variants were either special art, or holo cards or better yet, both. One can hope…

I have yet to venture to use Mercari, I’ll go have a look cheers. All I’ve read is that its very similar to eBay.

1 Like

I was able to find an image of what the 2020 packs look like! It looks like they’ve changed the pack design slightly.

I also added some answers under the questions I had previously!

@quuador, did you remember? lol

1 Like

Yeah, they’re in the last update I gave you. :blush: You can find it near the bottom of the Collection (Check)lists section, since it’s a list of all Event Organizer stamped cards in this case.

I have the Index of Elite Fourum Articles BCCode open in my Notepad++, so nowadays I’ll add every thread that’s worth adding right away to that text doc, and send you a copy of that after cleaning it up a bit once every halve year or so. If you want the update more regularly than every six months, lmk. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

It’s been quite a while!! We got a new event organizer promo! I found this card on mercari but have been unable to find any photos of the other cards from the pack or the pack art for that matter.

It also prompted me to search online and it seems bulbapiedia already has the list and the release date!

When the complete list and packs come to light ill update the original post :slight_smile:
Feel free to share if you find the others!

3 Likes

I came across this thread just now. I have some of cards but this provides a handy checklist it seems like a fun little set to go after, barring the Pikachu. Thanks for compiling and also now bumping this thread @mthursty .

Cheers!

1 Like

You called? :nerd_face:

Yeah the last pack was rotating out so TPC decided to release a new set. Here’s a photo of the new packs from a random event announcement on Twitter:

About the Packs

The packs are formally called “Certified Self-organized Event Trainer’s Pack”, and aren’t really hard to get. The story behind those packs is that TPC setup a system in 2015 to endorse 3rd-party individuals to hold their own TCG events outside TPC’s own organized play. Events endorsed by TPC through this system are called “Certified Self-organized Events”, and once approved TPC will send a stack of these packs to the organizer, who will in turn hand them out to participants based on whatever criteria they set for their events (complete tutorial, win a certain game, etc.)

Event Organizers

The events can only be held by “Event Organizers”, which are 3rd-party individuals who passed TPC’s Event Organizer test and therefore certified to hold the events. (Interesting side note: TPC had a page on Pokémon Center Online for test takers to enroll and pay test fee, and apparently you shouldn’t try to place an order on that page thinking you can buy that Event Organizer badge. You need to earn it.)

Outside Japan

As with other official product distribution and organized play systems, TPC introduced the Event Organizer qualification system to other regions whose releases are managed by TPC, including Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand and Indonesia. However, no Trainer’s Packs or any other card featuring the Event Organizer logo were introduced in other languages as of this writing (January 2023).

Collector’s Hint

For anyone interested in these packs, you don’t have to FOMO on the lack of information regrading them. TPC rarely make announcements of their distributions because they are mostly released outside TPC’s own organized play system, but in general their availability is close to Gym packs (perhaps less frequent than Gym events, but they have a much longer rotation cycle than Gym packs) so just use your judgement on the Gym packs and keep an eye on marketplaces.

Card List

List of cards in each release can all be found in Trainers Website:

5 Likes

Wow! What a wealth of info!! Thank you for shedding a ton of light on their release!!

I actually bought one of these new event organizer packs about an hour ago thinking I got lucky and was picking up a 2017 pack :laughing:

It’s really interesting to see these were not technically official releases therefore it is quite possible the supply will stay strong for quite a while.

I appreciate the post and I’ll update to op with your pack image once we get an image of each card!!

1 Like

I still need to update this thread with everything @rabby250 unleashed above but in the meantime I thought I’d share this…

I was going through some stuff and found two event organizer 2019 packs I bought within the last year or so.
Due to the absurdity of the Japanese market I was wondering if I had any Cynthia’s sealed. Because I knew these packs can be searched I decided to get out a flashlight and check.
Here is what I found:

Essentially, in these 2019 packs I have Sobble and potion from the 2020 event organizer release!!

I believe I have a couple more packs at my parents place so I’ll check those out.

I’m not sure I this means the 2019 cards are that much rarer or that the 2020 ones were printed so much they threw them in leftover 2019 packs.

If anything, this can act as a warning :warning: don’t buy these packs hoping to get a Cynthia!

As an obscure Japanese promo collector, keep truckin’! I love your passion for this and it’s a great guide

2 Likes