Japanese, English or Other?

definitely with you on this one. excellent way to put it :blush:

Japanese

6 Likes

Japanese - quality is higher.
English - just nostalgic items (base, jungle, fossil)
Chinese - because of where I live, and because its a niche - I enjoyed fully exploring it

1 Like

Iā€™ve been saying tis for years. We need this. Base set, redone retro. All ken sugimori art. With secret cards, ancient mew redone.

2 Likes

I love it.
Like with the gold starsā€¦cards can be printed and reprinted a thousand times until theyā€™re rendered worthless. With 1stā€™s, production will be finite/limited.
I may even buy a box especially now since my box lot sold and I have a few extra bucks;)

1 Like

I loved the 1st ed mechanic as a kid (not that i ever had many). Not sure if iā€™d still get as pumped with rev holo alsoā€¦ thats essentially 4 sets out every 3 months! Would probably have to stick with one or the other.

They couldnā€™t just do a straight reprint of Base Set, it wouldnā€™t sell well at all. The nostalgia sales wouldnā€™t make up for the loss in TCG player sales.
Theyā€™d need to update the HP/Attacks of all the Pokemon to come in line with current Meta standards.

1 Like

English only because it seems much more doable to collect. There just seems to be more Japanese cards that are difficult to find compared to english or maybe itā€™s just because of my location. Iā€™m not really sure but I have to draw the line somewhere even though it would.be fun to collect all of the languages available.

Screw you and your practicality.

I like to crush peoples dreams.

1 Like

I collect Russian cards, because I live there

I collect Japanese and English cards

English - these i are the cards i collected when Pokemon hit the UK all them years back.

Japanese - i like the artwork, quality and having certain English released cards with Japanese writing on it.

On the side, i do collect base set chinese cards and even korean if i can find.

2 Likes

Why do you think the english 1ed charizard is worth more? Wasnt the japanese card the true 1ed?? Making it more desireableā€¦makes me wonder

A true first ed charizard would be one with the no rarity symbol if Iā€™m not mistaken.

3 Likes

To some people japanese no rarity cards might be the holy grail but general opinion has always been english 1st ed. cards command the Base set market.

English- WOTC as it is what I grew up with. I still do enjoy Japanese and English for the older sets.

Japanese- Anything new, the quality , SRā€™s look better ectā€¦

I primarily collect Japanese now, Itā€™s getting pretty popular to collect Japanese now amongst most of the social media I reside on. Only if my dreams could come true and retail stores would sell Japanese booster boxes/packs.

When I started re-collecting, I had a big focus on the Neo sets. I must have retired just as/after Neo Revelation packs were being sold here in the UK. My main ambition now was to complete the first two or three Neo sets in English, but back then I didnā€™t want to spend much money on them (how things change) and then I saw that you could be guaranteed a holo in the Japanese packs, and they were cheaper too! So I bought them, and I remember I really wasnā€™t keen on the backs of the Japanese cards but Iā€™ve grown to like them. The holoā€™s are also more vibrant in many cases in Japanese.

As someone else said some of the cards just look made to be in Japanese too, like Shining Gyarados IMO. Now I have all Neo cards in Japanese too. The way I look at it is a more enjoyable way to expand my collecting without having to delve into new sets which Iā€™m not so keen on, Iā€™m getting double value for my favourite sets kinda thing so I can enjoy each one twice.

1 Like

Also easy to resell

English - WoTC, nothing else really. Not a fan of the newer card design.
Japanese - Base through the Neos & Any and All Promos

This upcoming Ancient Origins is actually the first English release Iā€™ve been excited for in a long time, so I will definitely complete it. Otherwise, I donā€™t care much for the newer English stuff. I have a couple decks just to play around with my brother comprised of new cards but other than that, the newer stuff I acquire I just sell/trade off.

English - WOTC, old exs, new sets
Japanese - ADV/PCG era, promos
I also collect sealed stuff primarily in English and Japanese but other languages as well.