Is this Pokemon cameo Camerupt or Ponyta?

My friends and I have been trying to figure out this cameo (on the right) and we just can’t figure it out. It’s one of the last cards I need to complete my cameo guide. The card is BREAKthrough #96.

It has the circles of Camerupt, but the flames of Ponyta… What do you guys think? We’ve identified the left Pokemon in the background as being Hariyama, if that helps you.

3 Likes

That is Ponyta on the right. Looks exactly like his picture here: pokemongo.fandom.com/wiki/Ponyta . The artist just added circles to his body.

On the left that is Probopass or Nosepass with a hat.

2 Likes

Seems weird for them to just add circles to the body…

2 Likes

Might be weird, but I thought that it was a primitive Ponyta because of the circles in its body.

2 Likes

For me looks more like a Nosepass because of its eyes and facial expression.

1 Like

I don’t see Nosepass or Probopass, but I do see this Hariyama

2 Likes

That aint my boy Hary on the left. His head dont look anything close to that I am sorry to disagree but Hary and I are close ever since Emerald.

1 Like

I messaged the artist on Twitter, hopefully we can have some closure on this :blush:

6 Likes

The one on the right I’m almost completely certain is a Ponytail. The one on the left I’m leaning towards Hariyama. The head looks to have the general outline of the blue ring on him. It’s got the ears with the big openings. The hands seem stubby and massive. And based on what looks to be his leg, you can just make out the end of his skirt thing. I didn’t think so at first, but the more I look at it, the more I’m certain.

2 Likes

My vote is for ponyta as well! The circles are there to just throw us off clearly! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t know what the one on the left is, but the one on the right is 100% Ponyta beyond any shadow of a doubt. It is stylized, but it is an obvious likeness.

3 Likes

I think it’s Ponyta. Those look more like loose squares than true circles. Camerupt has spherical circles. And the boxy/solid design as opposed to graceful/fluid Ponyta matches Komiya’s Ponyta in Generations.

1 Like

The artist of the card finally got back to me. In their words (translated):

Thank you for the question, but I can’t answer you. Because company rules forbid me to talk about details but you are free to imagine. I would be happy if you could inflate your wonderful imagination. Thanks for your questions

Unfortunately it seems we will never have a conclusive answer, but it was kind of the artist to get back to me :innocent:

company rules forbid me to talk about details

That’s really interesting, I wonder why not?

Likely some interaction between copyright law and non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) for artists.

1 Like

Inflation is affecting our imaginations now

1 Like

Wow. Never imagined that artists wouldn’t be able to talk about the artwork. Seems like a weird thing to NDA.

1 Like

That is 100 percent Ponyta (notice the flames on its back and tail, which are noticeably absent on Camerupt). Other than the circles, it bears virtually no resemblance to Camerupt.

4 Likes